[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So, I'm taking some flack for this

detlef

I sent out a newsletter for one of my restaurants and just wanted to give a personal shout-out to one of my main employees who was just granted full US citizenship...

The next time you see our manager, Raul...

You might want to congratulate him on being among the newest batch of citizens in the US. Mind you, it happened last month, but I thought I'd throw him a shout-out here.

The ceremony was quite inspiring and, to be honest, I was reminded of many things that myself and other US-born citizens may take for granted each day. We never had to make a pledge to uphold and honor this country, it was just assumed that we would. Experiencing that ceremony certainly reminded me to think of the implied pledge I made, the day I was born, a bit more often.

With that, here's to you, Raul. Way to make it official.

Here's one response I got:

As a private business, you can make any decision you want in terms of newsletter publication, but I humbly suggest that you keep personal issues that may be contentious out of your newsletter so that you don't alienate customers.

I'm trying figure out what the heck was so "contentious".

I sent out a newsletter for one of my restaurants and just wanted to give a personal shout-out to one of my main employees who was just granted full US citizenship...

Here's one response I got:

I'm trying figure out what the heck was so "contentious".

Raul clearly beat that guy out of the manager job. But now that he's a citizen you have to pay him minimum wage right?

Did you ask the person that wrote back?

Yes, no response as of yet. It's easy to get paranoid with this sort of thing. Like, one person says something might mean a dozen or more may be thinking it.

He probably erroneously assumed that Raul was working for you illegally before he "made it official". I think your announcement was very nice and well warranted. Some people simply don't understand the path towards citizenship.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what could be contentious about congratulating someone for assimilating into this country in the right, and more importantly, legal way.

Whatever, haters gonna hate, but I agree, what we see as our "god-given right" jsut to live in this country, they're reminded of the great privelege and oath you take when you do so. It's something we all should be reminded about, with nearly all of us being ancestors of immigrants ourselves.

Update: Dude backed off. he responded to my query about what he found so wrong with it, apparently went back and re-read this and realized that he must have somehow misread it.

Again, it's easy to get paranoid about this sort of thing. But thanks for the reassurance.

Yes, no response as of yet. It's easy to get paranoid with this sort of thing. Like, one person says something might mean a dozen or more may be thinking it.

I wouldn't worry about it, he probably ordered one beer and ate all your bar snacks when he came in. There is nothing wrong with giving your employees due praise.

Update: Dude backed off. he responded to my query about what he found so wrong with it, apparently went back and re-read this and realized that he must have somehow misread it.

Again, it's easy to get paranoid about this sort of thing. But thanks for the reassurance.

Very well written shout out. My guess is the individual simply missed processing this: "that myself and other US-born citizens"

The quoted wording is in fact one reason your shout out was excellent. I am sure you made your employee feel proud of the accomplishment and that is very good when you didn't need to do anything. Those are the best type of kudos.

Edited by Ice1

all I know is, I want mexicans working at a mexican restaurant. Whitey can't make chile rellenos for poop.

(also, congrats to Raul for all the hard work to get it done)

And the $$$. Citizenship is a fee of just under $1,000 per person. It ain't cheap.

• Like 1

There are angry people all over, people that will look for reasons to get upset. I don't see any problem with it.

Yep. We have become a nation of whiny pansies

And the $$$. Citizenship is a fee of just under $1,000 per person. It ain't cheap.

Especially if you're ever in line to earn millions from an IPO. In that case then its back to the old country... :)

All kidding aside, congrats to Raul and props to detlef for the shout out.

Some people are just A-holes.

When the guy backed off, he probably just decided not to be a bag of dicks about it. He probably thinks Mexicans (assuming Raul is Mexican) should all go back to Mexico. Or otherwise thought you were in favor of illegal immigration (possibly including Raul), or that you were calling native born Americans less worthy of citizenship than Raul.

Whatever, you were right to ask him why he said that and to wonder if others thought it. I bet most of your regular customers were thrilled and will be happy to congratulate Raul on his achievement. But in that area, there's bound to be some people that still have serious issues with non-whites and will react negatively to any positive attention they get.

what poor soul is sitting around waiting for their next detlef restaurant newsletter? the only poorer soul is the person who actually reads it and finds the energy to respond to it i guess ... which then gets you all worked up, which is actually funny.

there's a whole bunch of wasted energy here.

what poor soul is sitting around waiting for their next detlef restaurant newsletter? the only poorer soul is the person who actually reads it and finds the energy to respond to it i guess ... which then gets you all worked up, which is actually funny.

there's a whole bunch of wasted energy here.

I don't know: I think it's pretty cool that the guy at least took the time to respond. Business owners use newsletters to engage their customers. Clearly this guy had enjoyed the restaurant enough that he read the letter and responded to it.

If I'm detlef, I'm pleased someone is choosing to read my material.

I don't know: I think it's pretty cool that the guy at least took the time to respond. Business owners use newsletters to engage their customers. Clearly this guy had enjoyed the restaurant enough that he read the letter and responded to it.

If I'm detlef, I'm pleased someone is choosing to read my material.

+1. Also, I doubt Raul was the only item. There's probably a bunch of stuff on upcoming specials, etc, so any foodie or regular would likely look it over.