[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

IT'S OVER - JOE BIDEN IS PRESIDENT ELECT!!

irish

15 hours ago, League_Champion said:

The gas tax is because he doesn't know what else to do. He's throwing darts. 

What would your hero Trump be doing if he were in charge? 

What can the POTUS do to lower gas prices?  Short of taking over the oil industry what is your solution? What are your suggestions? Can you at least sound a bit more intelligent than the ignoramuses online who talk about Biden shutting down the pipeline?  

Or maybe you can just post some more pictures that show your immaturity. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

What can the POTUS do to lower gas prices?

Not specifically the POTUS, but the party that is in control typically does have an affect on fuel prices. The Democrat party is trying it's best to move away from fossil fuels and their approach limits how much investors want to sink into oil exploration projects. Take for instance the Keystone XL pipeline. I think that was somewhere around a $9 billion project? It's hard to get investors to put money into fossil fuels when they don't know if they will ever get a return in that investment. The result is a constricted market and a shaky future,  which puts a cap on supply (on top of what we're already facing with recovering from Covid/Russia etc) and drives up prices.

In short, there are a lot of factors that affect the market. Who is in the White House certainly isn't the only one,  but it does play a part. 

Edited by rajncajn

2 hours ago, rajncajn said:

Not specifically the POTUS, but the party that is in control typically does have an affect on fuel prices. The Democrat party is trying it's best to move away from fossil fuels and their approach limits how much investors want to sink into oil exploration projects. Take for instance the Keystone XL pipeline. I think that was somewhere around a $9 billion project? It's hard to get investors to put money into fossil fuels when they don't know if they will ever get a return in that investment. The result is a constricted market and a shaky future,  which puts a cap on supply (on top of what we're already facing with recovering from Covid/Russia etc) and drives up prices.

In short, there are a lot of factors that affect the market. Who is in the White House certainly isn't the only one,  but it does play a part. 

My understanding is that we have not added refining capacity in this country for decades, thru many administrations from both parties. Whose fault is that? Is it really the government or just one party? 

Regarding the Keystone XL pipeline that wasn't going to have any significant impact on gas prices here. Its tar sands that are very costly to transport, and refine. Being sent out of this country in fact. It was being pushed to make the tar sand industry more viable, with lower costs. 

I believe you are rational and fair and actually willing to have a discussion. But many people on the right are not, including a few who post here. They just bash Biden endlessly as if he himself sets the price of crude oil or gasoline. Or that he stopped all drilling in the US. If he wants to release reserves they complain "we need that, when will they be refilled, and how much more will it cost".  When he talks about a gas tax holiday they say "for just one day, how dumb" (yes that would be dumb, and is not likely to be the plan) or they say "big deal save me 18 cents per gallon when it costs $6-7 a gallon" but I bet they still complain when the price goes up a nickel. 

Some stuff I read on Keystone XL, I'm sure there are other sources with different perspectives. 

https://www.nrdc.org/stories/what-keystone-pipeline#whatis

8 hours ago, stevegrab said:

My understanding is that we have not added refining capacity in this country for decades, thru many administrations from both parties. Whose fault is that? Is it really the government or just one party? 

Regarding the Keystone XL pipeline that wasn't going to have any significant impact on gas prices here. Its tar sands that are very costly to transport, and refine. Being sent out of this country in fact. It was being pushed to make the tar sand industry more viable, with lower costs. 

I believe you are rational and fair and actually willing to have a discussion. But many people on the right are not, including a few who post here. They just bash Biden endlessly as if he himself sets the price of crude oil or gasoline. Or that he stopped all drilling in the US. If he wants to release reserves they complain "we need that, when will they be refilled, and how much more will it cost".  When he talks about a gas tax holiday they say "for just one day, how dumb" (yes that would be dumb, and is not likely to be the plan) or they say "big deal save me 18 cents per gallon when it costs $6-7 a gallon" but I bet they still complain when the price goes up a nickel. 

Some stuff I read on Keystone XL, I'm sure there are other sources with different perspectives. 

https://www.nrdc.org/stories/what-keystone-pipeline#whatis

I think you're missing the point altogether.

Here's a link showing the increases and decreases of overall oil production in the US. Are you making a distinction specifically between oil production and refining capacity for a reason? I'm not even sure if that part is accurate, but it's really moot anyway because it's getting away from the point. You asked what POTUS could do to lower gas prices. I was simply pointing out that he's not the only factor, but does play a part.

Oil production, up until the last couple decades or so, has been mostly about supply and demand, regardless of who was in the White House. My point was more about investors not wanting to sink money into oil production because they know they aren't going to see a return on their investment anytime soon anyway and with certain factions of our government beating the green energy drum literally like there is no tomorrow then what guarantees do they have of gaining any of their investment back? The Western fossil fuel industry is dying. Not because we have any reduced dependency on it, not because there isn't a supply, but because we are choking it off. You can argue the value in that death either way, but I do believe it's happening and that lack of investment (future supply) is a major factor in what is driving up, not just gas prices, but the price of all fossil fuel & petroleum reliant products. 

The rest of what you posted is irrelevant. I wasn't arguing about the merits, advantages or disadvantages of the Keystone pipeline. Not totally unrelated, but a different discussion.

I am glad you mentioned different sources with different perspectives on the link. The article does have some great info, but it didn't take long (the first sentence actually) to know that it was going to be biased. It's good to get multiple perspectives though and it was fairly well written,  so I enjoyed reading it.

Edited by rajncajn

• DMD locked this topic
  • DMD unlocked this topic
5 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Oh not that....that's almost as bad as trying to illegally (in several different ways) overturn an election. Maybe if the GOP gets control of Congress they can have an investigation on Joe's cheat sheets and how they impacted our ability to continue to function with our current system of government. 

7 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Oh not that....that's almost as bad as trying to illegally (in several different ways) overturn an election. Maybe if the GOP gets control of Congress they can have an investigation on Joe's cheat sheets and how they impacted our ability to continue to function with our current system of government. 

If he needs instruction on how to sit down then he probably needs help figuring out this whole inflation thingy, ya think? 

• Sad 1

On 6/21/2022 at 7:58 AM, rajncajn said:

Take for instance the Keystone XL pipeline. I think that was somewhere around a $9 billion project? 

Experts tell The Associated Press that the Keystone XL pipeline cancellation isn’t affecting what’s happening in the oil market today. It was never operational when it was shut down, and was not slated to go into service until 2023, according to a press release from TC Energy, the company constructing the project.

“Problem with the Keystone: It’s like saying a highway that was built but never completed is somehow making your commute to work way longer. You never got to ride on that highway. It was never opened. It was never relied on,” said Patrick De Haan, head of petroleum analysis for GasBuddy.com, referring to the Keystone XL pipeline.

Even if the Keystone XL pipeline had been completed, the amount of oil it was designed to transport would have been a drop in the bucket for U.S. demand, experts noted. The U.S. used nearly 20 million barrels of oil a day last year, while global consumption of oil was near 100 million barrels. The pipeline would have contributed less than 1% to the world supply of oil, according to AP reporting.

“The total volume of additional supply is negligible in a market that uses 100 million barrels of oil every day,” Jason Bordoff, founding director of the Center on Global Energy Policy at Columbia, said in an email statement to the AP.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, League_Champion said:

download (9).jpeg

As many have stated before.  Only so many things a president could do. Biden is offering up a tax break and suddenly everyone who wanted tax breaks are against it.

Biden derangement syndrome.

10 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

Nice edit there Bobby. Why are you taking my post completely out of context? The entire post was about investors,  not whether or not the Keystone pipeline would lower gas prices. Maybe you have a future as a political advisor or in mass media.

Edited by rajncajn

2 hours ago, rajncajn said:

Nice edit there Bobby. Why are you taking my post completely out of context? The entire post was about investors,  not whether or not the Keystone pipeline would lower gas prices. Maybe you have a future as a political advisor or in mass media.

He's your typical Dem. He's so far up Joe Biden's arse that he spits brown. 

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

He's your typical Dem. He's so far up Joe Biden's arse that he spits brown. 

You don't help a thing. I try to have reasonable discussions and all you do is derail any attempt at reason with trolling nonsense. Then I get lumped in with that nonsense.

• Like 4

On 7/2/2022 at 5:37 AM, rajncajn said:

Don't cry.  You specifically brought it up as an example to make a point.  So it's completely fair to show your example would've made a piss in the ocean difference.

Can you point to another example where infrastructure started and then stopped due to politics that actually had a substantial affect on supply/prices? Cause that doesn't happen much. It takes a massive amount of time before a new oil or gas field produces.  The idea that companies make long term decisions, and fossil fuel investors are substantially hamstrung, based on who is in the office at the moment feels like a massive leap of logic.

Edited by Bobby Brown

1 hour ago, rajncajn said:

You don't help a thing. I try to have reasonable discussions and all you do is derail any attempt at reason with trolling nonsense. Then I get lumped in with that nonsense.

You know as well as I do that you can't have a "reasonable" conversation with these people. They'll disagree with you even when they know you're right. Stand up for what you believe. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

Don't cry.  You specifically brought it up as an example to make a point.  So it's completely fair to show your example would've made a piss in the ocean difference.

Yet you completely and obviously either missed the point or purposefully ignored it, even after I reiterated the point when Steve tried to make the same argument. I'm guessing the latter since you had to REALLY selectively edit my post in order to make it look like I was making that argument.

If you want to do more research on the subject, then be my guest. There are plenty of occurrences out there of drilling, exploration or refinement services being shut down if you choose to go look. But I'm not going to convince you no matter what I say,  so why should I waste the effort? If you were really interested in a discussion them maybe you should have posted that instead of manipulating my post. 

You say politics play no part, I say it plays some part.  How about you prove me wrong.

41 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Yet you completely and obviously either missed the point or purposefully ignored it, even after I reiterated the point when Steve tried to make the same argument. I'm guessing the latter since you had to REALLY selectively edit my post in order to make it look like I was making that argument.

To be fair, I didn't read the back and forth with Steve until after I posted.  I only copied the part about Keystone because that is what I responded to. If I read the following posts first I probably wouldn't have made mine. Nothing more and nothing less.

Toughen up a little bit and stop manufacturing things into a personal affront. We have LC for that.

Edited by Bobby Brown

49 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

You know as well as I do that you can't have a "reasonable" conversation with these people. They'll disagree with you even when they know you're right. Stand up for what you believe. 

Occasionally,  I can but you make it even more difficult than it should be.

Since when have I not stood up for something I believe? My idea of standing up consists of having discussions and even disagreements. I don't call trolling "discussion."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, League_Champion said:

You know as well as I do that you can't have a "reasonable" conversation

Lol.  Half of your posts are unorginal memes.  The half that aren't have the intellectual level of Sesame Street meeting Rush Limbaugh.  You don't have rational discourse here because everyone else (now that Opie is gone) is above a junior high conversation level.

Edited by Bobby Brown
  • Haha 1

• DMD locked this topic