[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Way too Early Top-12's - TEs

darin3

Alright folks, let's close things up with the tight ends.  This will be a more difficult ranking for me as after the top tier, it's all over the place.

TIER ONE

1.  Mark Andrews (BAL):  Seemed to have a good rapport with whatever QB was behind center, which means - at least to me - he's going to be consistently good.  Scored about 2 ppg better than TE2 last year, and does it both via high volume of receptions AND TDs.  No reason to think he and Lamar Jackson won't be locked in yet again in 2022.

2.  George Kittle (SFO):  Going out on a limb here since most folks will have Kelce #2, but I'm banking on the Niners having a QB other than Jimmy G at QB. If Brady is the Niner QB, this ranking will make a whole hell of a lotta sense to others, I'd gather.  If it's Trey Lance, yeah maybe I reconsider this, but I'm going to slot Kittle here right now.  He's just too athletic and I think he leapfrogs Kelce this year - just a hunch.

3.  Travis Kelce (KCC):  OK, OK, here he is.  Could easily finish #2 or heck even #1 again, but right now I'm slotting him third.  Yes he's been a stud and there's no reason to think the KC offense won't continue to hum, but this is just a hunch that he finishes maybe a point or two behind Kittle in ppg in 2022.

TIER TWO

4.  T.J. Hockenson (DET):  Another case where a lot of folks will have another TE at #4, but I liked what I saw out of Hockenson with Goff at QB.  Emergence of St. Brown will open things up even more.  Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of the top-3 in Tier One, and you'll be good with whoever you take in Tier Two as well.

5.  Kyle Pitts (ATL):  Many folks will rank Pitts #4, and I wouldn't necessarily blame them, but there were a lot of "ho-hum" games in '21 and Ridley may be back in '22.  If Pitts is the #1 option for Matt Ryan, Pitts could leap into Tier One.  Right now though I'm slotting him here and any one of these three in Tier Two should offer plenty of upside.

6.  Darren Waller (LVR):  I like what new HC McDaniels brings to the table offense-wise, and if the Raiders can add a vertical threat, Waller will see way more room to work.  Again, you're fine taking any of these Tier Two TEs anywhere from #4-6.

TIER THREE

7.  Dalton Schultz (DAL):  Here's where there's a hugh dropoff and things get weird.  I like Schultz a lot, especially with Jarwin undergoing rare hip surgery and Schultz's fine play in '21.  Add in the fact that Amari Cooper is as good as gone, and Schultz will definitely be a big part of the Cowboys' high-octane offense.  

8.  Dallas Goedert (PHI):  Just too good of an athlete to not be ranked in the top-10 for TEs in '22.  I think with an off-season of being the no-brainer #1 TE for this team will make him a better option next season even if Hurts is the full-time starter.  

9.  Mike Giesicki (MIA):  Tua is the starting QB and showed decent rapport with this athletic TE.  He's got a ton of upside, but also comes with more risk than the other two in this tier.  

TIER FOUR

10. Pat Freiermuth (PIT):  Meh, at this point you might as well just roll with hugh upside.  Not sure who's gonna be at QB, but Freiermuth flashed enough skill in the second half of '21 to merit top-10 consideration.  

11.  Dawson Knox (BUF):  Knox finished just behind Schultz in terms of ppg, but there's talks of bringing Gronk on, which would effectively limit both Knox's value as well as Gronk's.  But since no signing has happened, I'll slot Knox here.  If Gronk is not a Bill, then you could probably slide Knox above Freiermuth and maybe even into Tier Three if you think Josh Allen's arc is still rising.

12.  Zach Ertz (ARI):  Almost went with a few other names here (Henry, Fant, Higbee), but settled on Ertz.  I think he re-signs in the desert and is the #2 or 3 option for Kyler Murray in what should be a bounce-back season for the Cards.   Henry was too TD-dependent, Fant was solid but Albert O looms and actually has more upside, and Higbee is too far down the food chain to be relied on).

------------------------

What say you, Huddlers?

I'd like to see Pitts at 1, Schultz at 2. From a totally self serving standpoint 😁

At least Atlanta knows they won't have Ridley and can adjust. 

Funny how this position is so dependent on team and game script. Any of the top 9 could be top tier if circumstances permit. 

• Like 1

Great list and other than possible additions via the draft, my only thought to add to the list is Noah Fant. 

On 3/7/2022 at 7:45 PM, irish said:

Great list and other than possible additions via the draft, my only thought to add to the list is Noah Fant. 

Rookie TEs rarely make a hugh splash, and I doubt Fant is top-12 now that he's a Seahawk. I know you posted this before the trade.  :tup: 

On 3/7/2022 at 12:34 PM, darin3 said:

Alright folks, let's close things up with the tight ends.  This will be a more difficult ranking for me as after the top tier, it's all over the place.

TIER ONE

1.  Mark Andrews (BAL):  Seemed to have a good rapport with whatever QB was behind center, which means - at least to me - he's going to be consistently good.  Scored about 2 ppg better than TE2 last year, and does it both via high volume of receptions AND TDs.  No reason to think he and Lamar Jackson won't be locked in yet again in 2022.

2.  George Kittle (SFO):  Going out on a limb here since most folks will have Kelce #2, but I'm banking on the Niners having a QB other than Jimmy G at QB. If Brady is the Niner QB, this ranking will make a whole hell of a lotta sense to others, I'd gather.  If it's Trey Lance, yeah maybe I reconsider this, but I'm going to slot Kittle here right now.  He's just too athletic and I think he leapfrogs Kelce this year - just a hunch.

3.  Travis Kelce (KCC):  OK, OK, here he is.  Could easily finish #2 or heck even #1 again, but right now I'm slotting him third.  Yes he's been a stud and there's no reason to think the KC offense won't continue to hum, but this is just a hunch that he finishes maybe a point or two behind Kittle in ppg in 2022.

------------------------

What say you, Huddlers?

I say Travis Kelce is #1 in my heart and in my loins and you are just flat out wrong here as well. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries.

Now go away and rank him #1, or I shall taunt you a second time!!!!!!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, darin3 said:

Rookie TEs rarely make a hugh splash, and I doubt Fant is top-12 now that he's a Seahawk. I know you posted this before the trade.  :tup: 

Yeah, the trade eliminated his name from the list. 

59 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Well he was TE30 before getting hurt.  I'd say in the 15-20 range.

Yet top 5 the year prior,  which is why I was curious. I think the upside is there,  but not enough to predict top 10. It wouldn't surprise though. I see him at around that 10-15 range with Rodgers back and Tonyan healthy. Too early to officially put him there,  but this is a too early ranking. 

4 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Yet top 5 the year prior,  which is why I was curious. I think the upside is there,  but not enough to predict top 10. It wouldn't surprise though. I see him at around that 10-15 range with Rodgers back and Tonyan healthy. Too early to officially put him there,  but this is a too early ranking. 

I could see 10-15, absolutely.

4 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

He really wasn't doing anything last year before he got hurt.  I'd avoid. 

You have TJ Hockenson ranked at #4 and.number one in tier two. I hope you are right. I just finished a way to early fantasy league draft with 10 teams and I waited on getting a TE and was able to get Hockenson with my 9.10 pick. I was slotted in the #10 spot at the beginning of the draft. He has a ton of potential and if he can get through the year without jnjury.and play all 17 games I think he could possibly put up top 5 TE numbers even with Jared Goff as his QB. He was highly touted coming into the league and if he can stay healthy as I said I'm looking forward to him paying big dividends for taking him with pick 9.10. Rock on TJ.

4 hours ago, Docniner said:

You have TJ Hockenson ranked at #4 and.number one in tier two. I hope you are right. I just finished a way to early fantasy league draft with 10 teams and I waited on getting a TE and was able to get Hockenson with my 9.10 pick. I was slotted in the #10 spot at the beginning of the draft. He has a ton of potential and if he can get through the year without jnjury.and play all 17 games I think he could possibly put up top 5 TE numbers even with Jared Goff as his QB. He was highly touted coming into the league and if he can stay healthy as I said I'm looking forward to him paying big dividends for taking him with pick 9.10. Rock on TJ.

That's an understatement, a draft before the NFL draft and free agency? Let alone training camp or preseason. (We always draft just days before the NFL season starts.) 

13 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

That's an understatement, a draft before the NFL draft and free agency? Let alone training camp or preseason. (We always draft just days before the NFL season starts.) 

How is that even possible when we don't know where rookies end up?  We also draft late, typically the Sunday before the season starts.

44 minutes ago, Big John said:

He just re-signed with the Packers.

On 3/14/2022 at 11:36 AM, Def. said:

He really wasn't doing anything last year before he got hurt.  I'd avoid. 

Really have to consider him more now with Adams out of the picture. 

50 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

Thoughts...

Chargers signed TE Gerald Everett, formerly of the Seahawks, to a two-year, $12 million contract.

...with cook gone, Everett should have a career year?

I had hoped last year's third round pick MCKITTY would've developed faster, but i guess we're looking at year four for him?

I'm not a huge Everett fan but I'd imagine that he picks up some volume in that offense. I'd definitely take a shot on him as a TE2 

On 3/15/2022 at 1:14 PM, 1fastdoc said:

How is that even possible when we don't know where rookies end up?  We also draft late, typically the Sunday before the season starts.

Yeah, it was way to early for a draft.but a.few.of us.were itching for a draft. We ARE holding a ROOKIE draft after the NFL draft and since I picked last in the vet draft I get 1st.pick in the rookie draft. Probably not a whole lot of studs in the rookie draftbut I'll get the pick of the litter, LOL.

Edited by Docniner

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, purplemonster said:

Good list Darin. I was wondering how you'd rank them bc it is tough. I will again try to get Goedert this year in middle to late rounds. Very inconsistent play from the QB but lots of upside and he is reaching his prime years. 

Thanks, and again, these were "way too early" rankings.  Things will definitely move around a bit post-draft and as we approach the summer months.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/27/2022 at 2:22 PM, League_Champion said:

It is a great list. I'm starting to feel like a healthy Tonyan could crack the top 10 now that Adams is gone. 

If he gets healthy, he has been placed on PUP.