[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Video Games

rajncajn

Do you play them, what gaming systems do you play on, what are some of your favorite games and why?

I'm not a huge gamer, but at times I will get into a kick. We have a Nintendo Switch, PS4 and PC. My favorite series is The Elder Scrolls, but I don't play any of the online stuff. It's just way too time-consuming. I used to really get into the Call of Duty games, but not anymore because it's one of those games where if you don't consistently practice your skills then it will be an exercise in total frustration. The types of games I look for now are more storyline, immersive based like Skyrim. Games that are more visually appealing and engaging. On Switch I like Zelda Breath of the Wild and currently on PS4 I'm playing God of War. When I'm burned out on that one I plan on diving into Assassin's Creed Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla.

I used to play a lot back in my 20s and 30s, had a friend at work and we'd get together weekly. 

I have an Xbox One but haven't used it much in a while. My friend has some of the old school classic games we enjoyed years ago on mini console systems. I think one is Super Nintendo Mini Classic.

My favorite games are fighting, car or motorcycle racing/driving, and some sports. 

I enjoy playing games with others, both competing against them as well as playing cooperatively. Last time I got together with my friend we were trying Minecraft again, and while I enjoyed it to some degree, the lack of action (we turned off monsters as they made it impossible the last time) and vastness without limits made it tough.

Some all time favorites include Doom, Need for Speed (had a PC version with steering wheel and pedal setup), Castlevania seris. 

My kids have XBOXes (Microsoft sucks with their online gamepass stuff by not having a family pass, but I digress)

I haven't played regularly in years, but will play Madden, FIFA, 2K, etc. with them, though now that they are older and can beat me I tell them I will stop playing them.

2 hours ago, rajncajn said:

Do you play them, what gaming systems do you play on, what are some of your favorite games and why?

I'm not a huge gamer, but at times I will get into a kick. We have a Nintendo Switch, PS4 and PC. My favorite series is The Elder Scrolls, but I don't play any of the online stuff. It's just way too time-consuming. I used to really get into the Call of Duty games, but not anymore because it's one of those games where if you don't consistently practice your skills then it will be an exercise in total frustration. The types of games I look for now are more storyline, immersive based like Skyrim. Games that are more visually appealing and engaging. On Switch I like Zelda Breath of the Wild and currently on PS4 I'm playing God of War. When I'm burned out on that one I plan on diving into Assassin's Creed Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla.

Don't do any gaming outside of playing clash of clans on my mobile. However, this Zelda game that you mentioned is one that a friend of mine told me that I'd love. I loved Legend of Zelda when I was a young lad. 

3 hours ago, rajncajn said:

Advise both the Horizons (Zero Dawn and Forbidden West) as they're good for both play and story.  Witcher III if you want something really immersive.  I'm looking forward to Tactics Ogre: Reborn cause it was an absolute time consumer for me back in the 90's with branching choices.  Love the tactics/turn based play of games like Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, XCOMs, and Invisible Inc.  I'll generally run through Arkham Asylum and Arkham City once a year too. 

18 minutes ago, Def. said:

Advise both the Horizons (Zero Dawn and Forbidden West) as they're good for both play and story.  Witcher III if you want something really immersive.  I'm looking forward to Tactics Ogre: Reborn cause it was an absolute time consumer for me back in the 90's with branching choices.  Love the tactics/turn based play of games like Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, XCOMs, and Invisible Inc.  I'll generally run through Arkham Asylum and Arkham City once a year too. 

I've really wanted to check out Witcher as well.

XBox 1, currently playing Dishonored. I’ve played Skyrim and Elder Scrolls IV, as well as the entire Wolfenstein series. We have Game Pass, so while the games are a little older I’m playing them for free (minus the Game Pass subscription). 

I also have a Sega Genesis throwback system that has a bunch of games pre-loaded on it. I can also play my old Genesis cartridges in it too, so I like going back and playing a lot of my old sports games. 

• Like 1

I visited my friend and played some games yesterday, Need For Speed Hot Pursuit on the PS4 was pretty intense. That series original game on the PC was a blast, and the enhanced graphics and game play are spectacular.

We played some more Minecraft, that's a game I could easily see being lost for hours in. My friend played once since our last time and did a bunch of exploring, mining and such. Then we kept getting lost trying to find out way back to our home base. 

On 8/20/2022 at 3:56 PM, Bier Meister said:

not a gamer.

We have a PS4.  Every few weeks I play about 2-3 games of fifa 20.

Even less for me.  Like, zero.  The only "gaming" I do is on my phone:  Words with Friends, Yahtzee and some ball/brick game.  

My son lives on his Switch though.

I was a Nintendo nerd as a pre-teen and teen.  Claim to fame:  8th confirmed player to finish Legend of Zelda B)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2022 at 3:52 PM, darin3 said:

Even less for me.  Like, zero.  The only "gaming" I do is on my phone:  Words with Friends, Yahtzee and some ball/brick game.  

My son lives on his Switch though.

I was a Nintendo nerd as a pre-teen and teen.  Claim to fame:  8th confirmed player to finish Legend of Zelda B)

Loved that game!  How was that confirmed?  

On 9/3/2022 at 4:51 AM, irish said:

Loved that game!  How was that confirmed?  

Back then, there was a free "Nintendo Power" newsletter thing that they'd send out to Nintendo Fan Club members.  This was the predecessor to Nintendo Power magazine that has been out for 25+ years now that you can buy / subscribe to

They had a thing in there where you had to call their Fan Club phone number and tell them the ending and they printed the top-10 to finish and call in.  My buddy was #7 and I was right behind him at #8.  We would play all night at his place.  So fun.

Edited by darin3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Back then, there was a free "Nintendo Power" newsletter thing that they'd send out to Nintendo Fan Club members.  This was the predecessor to Nintendo Power magazine that has been out for 25+ years now that you can buy / subscribe to

They had a thing in there where you had to call their Fan Club phone number and tell them the ending and they printed the top-10 to finish and call in.  My buddy was #7 and I was right behind him at #8.  We would play all night at his place.  So fun.

That's awesome!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, darin3 said:

Sounds like a system that relies on honor, you could watch somebody else finish the game, or be told about it and then call in and tell them what happened. Maybe there was more too it.

My friend and I used to rent a lot of games, play them all night until they needed to be returned to see if they were worth buying (was the game play good, was it too easy or hard to make progress etc).  I remember a few times, we loved the game but realized we were nearly finished in a short time. 

1 hour ago, rajncajn said:

Anybody play Golf Rival on mobile? My wife says that I'm addicted.😅

Nope, I'm afraid I'll wake up without a d!ck.  Almost lost it over Clash of Clans, which is ironically called CoC for short. 

• 11 months later...
5 hours ago, gilthorp said:

Purchased a new Xbox X - in preparation for Starfield in a few weeks. 

Kids have been playing Hogwarts Legacy.

And... how's the Hogwarts?