[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Damar Hamlin-wishing him the best

Shaft

I'm guessing he had a cardiac arrest or some type of arrhythmia because otherwise I expected to go to surgery if it was like a ruptured aorta or carotid artery or a brain bleed. And it sounds like he's in a medically induced coma and therapeutic cooling procedure to protect his brain. Hopefully they did some good chest compressions and maybe shocked him on the field so that the brain damage is limited. I guess we won't know until we hear more

4 hours ago, purplemonster said:

I'm guessing he had a cardiac arrest or some type of arrhythmia because otherwise I expected to go to surgery if it was like a ruptured aorta or carotid artery or a brain bleed. And it sounds like he's in a medically induced coma and therapeutic cooling procedure to protect his brain. Hopefully they did some good chest compressions and maybe shocked him on the field so that the brain damage is limited. I guess we won't know until we hear more

This is my main concern right now.  You hear the reports that he got his vitals back, which is great. However, how long did Hamlin go without those vitals?  How long was his brain deprived of oxygen?  I'm eagerly awaiting news on tests for his level of brain activity and hopeful that this young man will be OK but I'm very concerned about his brain function. 

5 hours ago, purplemonster said:

The Bills said it was cardiac arrest and that his hearbeat was restored on the field.

I also read the Bills players and staff flew home to Buffalo.

We all saw Burrow warming up after the league tried getting the game started before the coaches made their own call. Goodell can’t hide from this one, already getting dragged all over Twitter 

So the NFL wanted to resume the game and the two HC's (and 100+ players) told Goodell to go F*KC himself.

Goodell needs to be gone. Now.  Hopefully, this is it.

8 hours ago, rajncajn said:

I would be totally UN-shocked if this were true.

It's true.  Goodell needs to go.  Let the movement begin.  Write to YOUR favorite team's owner and tell him/her that the NFL was despicable last night and that you won't support them mfor long if Goodell stays.  It's up to the owners.

15 minutes ago, Riffraff said:

NFL needed Players Association concurrence to postpone the game. That had to be an awkward phone call. Reps may not have been watching the game.

NFL wanted the players ready "in 5 minutes".  Coaches and players told them to forget it.  Goodell and his minions = very, very, very bad people.  Shameful.   

It was only suspended because the coaches got on the phone with the NFL head office and said collectively that their players were in no condition to play after seeing what they saw.

ESPN has broadcast footage of McDermott and Taylor on the phone with Dawn Aponte and the head referee next to them.

The NFL initially telling the players they had five minutes to compose themselves to start warming up to play is unconscionable and they should be called out for it.

Edited by Dcat
  • Like 1

I think (wrongly often I'll admit) that it's the wording being used.

Suspend = game is delayed on same night for safety, weather, technical difficulties, stadium issues, and in-game issues. Always start here before moving to another level.

Postpone = League and Players Association need to concur since stadiums, ticketing, fan reimbursement, safety protocols, TV programming/advertising, funding, and rescheduling are involved.

Forfeit = coaches and players can refuse to play (in this case, it could have been a double forfeit if NFL and PA did not concur).

• Like 1

Very scary situation, my brother commented quickly that it appeared they were giving him CPR. We were on delay and kept skipping commercial breaks and studio chatter until we were live and heard the game was suspended. It took 30-45 minutes for the whole thing to unfold. 

I cannot recall an NFL game ever being suspended for injury, so it was an unprecedented event. Of course the players and coaches on the field were impacted heavily. The league and their officials did what was always done, attempt to continue to game. The competitors said no, I doubt this is some seminal moment resulting in Goodell losing his job. But not shocked at those turning to that angle.

The big question, for the NFL and fantasy leagues with playoffs in the balance is what about the game. When will it be played? They cannot just toss it aside, they can't really wait too long to play it. But many of the Bills players and staff (possibly the equipment too) went back to Buffalo like the game was over. So a quick game today, tomorrow even seems unlikely. 

3 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

The big question, for the NFL and fantasy leagues with playoffs in the balance is what about the game. When will it be played? They cannot just toss it aside

That's probably the last thing in the World they're worried about right now. 

Perhaps they both get a tie? I have no idea, it's unprecedented. 

26 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

That's probably the last thing in the World they're worried about right now. 

Perhaps they both get a tie? I have no idea, it's unprecedented. 

I suppose anything is possible, glad I don't have to make the decision. Was not trying to be heartless, but there is a decision to be made, and it impacts quite a lot of people. Not sure that anything they do will be acceptable to everybody. Declaring it a tie (double forefeit) or something if teams won't play addresses the game and the standings. But not the billion dollar betting and fantasy communities. 

The Mike Utley injury (Lions OL paralyzed in Nov 1991 game with Rams) was one I remembered taking some time on the field to get him in an ambulance and resume. But there was no question then (or since with any injury) of resuming. 

I know some may say this is just NFL spin, but according to the story on their site there never was a plan to start playing again after a 5 minute warm up. Let's not forget the many tidbits and rumors the broadcasters provide which are later proven to be false. They were simply trying to report on an evolving situation, without much info and probably no real contact with the NFL or NFLPA leaders. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/bills-safety-damar-hamlin-in-critical-condition-after-collapsing-on-field-buffal

9 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

suppose anything is possible, glad I don't have to make the decision. Was not trying to be heartless, but there is a decision to be made, and it impacts quite a lot of people. Not sure that anything they do will be acceptable to everybody

This. Very difficult situation and unprecedented. 

23 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I know some may say this is just NFL spin, but according to the story on their site there never was a plan to start playing again after a 5 minute warm up. Let's not forget the many tidbits and rumors the broadcasters provide which are later proven to be false. They were simply trying to report on an evolving situation, without much info and probably no real contact with the NFL or NFLPA leaders. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/bills-safety-damar-hamlin-in-critical-condition-after-collapsing-on-field-buffal

I think it's quite possible the 5 minute thing may have been a rash decision by the referees on the field, and nothing official from the league. This makes the most sense to me, and once that was communicated to both sides, any type of hesitation there put that plan on hold. Perhaps the league then caught up to the situation and told them to take the teams off the field. That may have been the first time the NFL made a decision last night. I just don't know.