[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My body is broken

rajncajn

On 12/2/2023 at 3:23 PM, FinishTheDrill said:

Positionally undersized and overachieving on competitive sports teams my whole life followed by a few decades of coaching have taken a toll.  Despite that an no matter what, one cant sit still.  Gotta keep going even if it hurts.  

Look back at it Rajn... would you really have had it any other way?  

^

What he said.  

Oh, wait...

• 4 weeks later...

I work 6 days a week , about 65 hours per week . My regular sales job Mon-Wed in NY and then I bartend Thu/Fr/Sat

The bartending is tough. I do doubles Thursday and Friday . Thu I arrive 10 am and I leave at 1 am. Friday I arrive 10 am and leave about 11pm-12 am

On those two days it isnt uncommon that I actually stand the entire time. This is tough on the feet and legs and back . I have had a bad back for a while now. in 2023 , I lost 50 lbs . That helped my back dramatically . I still get some lower back pain but it decreased with the weight loss.

My left knee has been in pain for about 5 months now . I generally wait a year in pain before getting it checked out so ill see whats up with that one of these days .

My stomach is an issue . I seem to deal with bloating and discomfort in the stomach a lot which really sucks . Colonoscopy is good and GI dr described it as an angry stomach . It sucks . depending on what I eat , about an hour after it starts . Gassy , cramping . Its taxing . Thats probably my biggest issue .

Eyes are decent. Went for a complete eye exam last year. she said I could probably use readers but that my eyes were in decent shape 

My hair is fabulous and I can still get a boner 

Edited by whomper

2 hours ago, whomper said:

I work 6 days a week , about 65 hours per week . My regular sales job Mon-Wed in NY and then I bartend Thu/Fr/Sat

The bartending is tough. I do doubles Thursday and Friday . Thu I arrive 10 am and I leave at 1 am. Friday I arrive 10 am and leave about 11pm-12 am

On those two days it isnt uncommon that I actually stand the entire time. This is tough on the feet and legs and back . I have had a bad back for a while now. in 2023 , I lost 50 lbs . That helped my back dramatically . I still get some lower back pain but it decreased with the weight loss.

My left knee has been in pain for about 5 months now . I generally wait a year in pain before getting it checked out so ill see whats up with that one of these days .

My stomach is an issue . I seem to deal with bloating and discomfort in the stomach a lot which really sucks . Colonoscopy is good and GI dr described it as an angry stomach . It sucks . depending on what I eat , about an hour after it starts . Gassy , cramping . Its taxing . Thats probably my biggest issue .

Eyes are decent. Went for a complete eye exam last year. she said I could probably use readers but that my eyes were in decent shape 

My hair is fabulous and I can still get a boner 

How old are you, I want to see about how far off I am from dealing with this crap? 

2 hours ago, irish said:

How old are you, I want to see about how far off I am from dealing with this crap? 

3 hours ago, Chief Dick said:

So for anyone in here over 50: if you haven't scheduled a colonoscopy yet, do it.  It can save your life and insurance will pay for it.

Had mine last year. Apparently the results were that I'm "at risk," so hooray, I get to have them every 3 years now. :glare:

Edited by rajncajn

7 hours ago, Chief Dick said:

You know it's bad when we start listing our ailments.....

Or, with most of the things on the list, you have no idea how they happened.  Half of them I probably did getting out of bed.  Literally. :unsure:

Edited by Gopher

10 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Or, when most of the things on the list, you have no idea how they happened.  Half of them I probably did getting out of bed.  Literally. :unsure:

Or getting out of a gopher hole? :shades:

4 hours ago, Chief Dick said:

So for anyone in here over 50: if you haven't scheduled a colonoscopy yet, do it.  It can save your life and insurance will pay for it.

Did it personally save yours, or someone close to you?  

4 hours ago, whomper said:

Currently 45, and doing alright so far. Hopefully, it continues to go well for awhile. I certainly don't feel as young and agile anymore and have my fair share of aches and pains though. 

9 hours ago, rajncajn said:

Had mine last year. Apparently the results were that I'm "at risk," so hooray, I get to have them every 3 years now. :glare:

Yeah, but that's exactly why you go. At the very least you lose a few pounds during prep and get a great nap.  :lol:

8 hours ago, Chief Dick said:

No. I'm a high risk patient due to stomach issues. Plus my mom has had colon cancer.  

So I have them every three years or so. 

Gotcha, was her colon cancer found to be genetic in nature?

On 2/19/2024 at 7:02 PM, Chief Dick said:

I was about 45 years old and I was on vacation. I had stomach pain for a few days. Not your typical stomach pain. A sharp pain. I end up going to the ER down the jersey shore and they do xrays and it turns out I have diverticulitis. I end up spending 5 days in the hospital and thankfully I was able to get it straightened out with meds and not surgery ..The gastro DR in the hospital says he wants me to get a colonoscopy in 3 months . He said wait three months because that area is all irritated from the diverticulitis. Now generally everyone starts colonoscopies at 50 , but with this scare I said I better listen to this guy

I go three months later and they find huge precancerous polyps . The doctor said if you didn't have the diverticulitis flare up forcing you to get a colonoscopy at 45 instead of 50 , these no doubt would have turned into colon cancer . I was miserable because it ruined my vacation but it turns out it saved me from cancer 

I now go every 3 years . My last two were good . Just polyps but nothing scary , removed and all tested OK 

CD is right. Take this test very seriously . Also as men , get the prostate checked . A blood test and a quick digit in the ass is a small price to pay as opposed to prostate cancer 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, whomper said:

I was about 45 years old and I was on vacation. I had stomach pain for a few days. Not your typical stomach pain. A sharp pain. I end up going to the ER down the jersey shore and they do xrays and it turns out I have diverticulitis. I end up spending 5 days in the hospital and thankfully I was able to get it straightened out with meds and not surgery ..The gastro DR in the hospital says he wants me to get a colonoscopy in 3 months . He said wait three months because that area is all irritated from the diverticulitis. Now generally everyone starts colonoscopies at 50 , but with this scare I said I better listen to this guy

I go three months later and they find huge precancerous polyps . The doctor said if you didn't have the diverticulitis flare up forcing you to get a colonoscopy at 45 instead of 50 , these no doubt would have turned into colon cancer . I was miserable because it ruined my vacation but it turns out it saved me from cancer 

I now go every 3 years . My last two were good . Just polyps but nothing scary , removed and all tested OK 

CD is right. Take this test very seriously . Also as men , get the prostate checked . A blood test and a quick digit in the ass is a small price to pay as opposed to prostate cancer 

I had a case of diverticulitis with similar symptoms, put me in the hospital for a couple days around Christmas about 4 years ago. My colonoscopy after that was pretty clear, a couple small polyps that were benign.  I really should have already had another colonscopy since and follow up more on my health (59 now). I had some family members with that issue as well, including an older brother who battled it over the holidays this past year. I have pretty much completely cut out eating nuts, something I had heard was bad for. I also try to eat more fiber and healthier.

3 hours ago, whomper said:

Pretty much the same boat I'm in. Diverticulitis is no f'n joke. Some of the most intense and unyielding pain I've ever been in.

Went to urgent care yesterday, can barely walk.  Calf muscle just suddenly super tight Thursday night and walking is painful.  Hasn't improved with ice/heat.  Got tested for thrombosis/blood clot which thankfully was negative.  Then basically got told to rub some dirt on it and sent home.  :kicksrock:  

Cellulitis is another common thing people get and should not ignore. Swelling and redness on the skin, for me it was above the ankle after a bee sting. For my brother he didn't recall having anything happen, ankle was a bit sore for a couple of days then he could barely put weight on it getting out of bed in the morning. Off the urgent care and some prescriptions for antibiotics. Cleared up pretty quick.

I can still remember the guy looking at it, and drawing a line on my leg. "If the redness climbs above that, GO TO THE ER!".