[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DeShaun Watson - what the hell is going on

stevegrab

More a real football discussion than fantasy, but if he's one of your fantasy QBs and you're expecting anything prepare to continue to be disappointed.

It is just crazy that he was medically cleared to play for the Ravens game, but the team (or Watson, or whoever) decided he won't play. Now 2 weeks later after the bye, he still isn't able to practice. Browns resigned and promoted PJ Walker to the active roster, and yesterday said he would start over rookie Dorian Thompson-Robinson who was ill prepared to face the Ravens D in week 4. No worries, we only play the 49ers, in our 4th home game in the first 5 games (horribly skewed schedule). 

The report is he has a rotator cuff contusion, on the right shoulder. No idea if he's even thrown a ball since before the Ravens game. Some in the local media are questioning the Browns handling of the injury, especially the reporting which sure made it sound like he could go in week 4, and would be ready by now. 

Of course his absence (and poor play early this season) will impact Browns players like Ford/Hunt/Cooper/Njoku etc  (so glad I only have 3 of those) :( 

Maybe it’s one of those injuries where it isn’t one that can be made worse by playing so medically he is clear, but for whatever reason he can’t handle the pain so he isn’t playing.

Or he can handle it but is choosing not to play because he got his bag and doesn’t care. Obviously he doesn’t have the greatest reputation and it sounds like a lot of the team was pretty mad he didn’t play after being cleared. Either way it doesn’t look good

His contract is fully guaranteed? Wonder if that plays in one way or the other. Most NFL players are racing to get back from injury, so not sure what's up here. If the team is downplaying a more serious injury they sure are creating a big PR headache for themselves.

42 minutes ago, Finn5033 said:

Or he can handle it but is choosing not to play because he got his bag and doesn’t care. Obviously he doesn’t have the greatest reputation and it sounds like a lot of the team was pretty mad he didn’t play after being cleared. Either way it doesn’t look good

I haven't followed this much either, but from what little I've seen, Watson doesn't seem to care as much. I'm making all sorts of assumptions but my inkling is he doesn't think he can rehab his reputation so at this point is like FU, I'll take the money, thanks. 

13 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

I haven't followed this much either, but from what little I've seen, Watson doesn't seem to care as much. I'm making all sorts of assumptions but my inkling is he doesn't think he can rehab his reputation so at this point is like FU, I'll take the money, thanks. 

I honestly never followed his career much in Houston, so hard for me to judge if he cares less now than before. I also don't listen to most of the CLE sports talk stuff so no idea what they say. But local sports guy on news was commenting even last weekend that it was odd he isn't able to practice after being cleared to play. 

And yes, his contract was fully guarantied, 5 years and $230 million. I didn't like the contract, or the assets they traded to get him. Or the headaches that he brought with him. Or the way the team handled Mayfield's injury after he appeared to have a lot of what it took to help the team win. Never liked Haslam and feel he's another owner that likes to meddle in football decisions. 

I keep thinking my Browns have turned the corner, but same old Browns. Maybe we have a winning record, but doubt we can contend for anything. 

both shoulders for me.  surgery on one, but not the other. more issues with the non-surgical one currently.  i did not have nfl rehab, but even after significant improvement definitely was impacted.  i was coaching my daughter's lacrosse team around the time of the surgery and overhand throwing was for that side was painful before and after (this was before the other one started to hurt).

Not me but have a brother who had one repaired, he was always very active and waited to do it. But was glad after.

My mom was about 80 and had hers damaged in an accident. They did some clean up but nothing major, it helped with the pain, but she was still unable to raise her arm above shoulder height. (That was almost 20 years ago)

Still no Watson at practice today, he has not had a full practice since 9-22, before the last game he played. 

One reporters take on the circus this has become

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2023/10/mystery-surrounding-deshaun-watsons-shoulder-brings-back-bad-feelings-of-browns-qb-instability-jimmy-watkins.html

I used to sell surgical tools to sports med Docs and sitting in on surgeries was part of it. The word contusion tells me it's not a tear. Contusion is probably pain keeping him from playing or the other thoughts. He should be getting regular massages to manage that pain!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Def. said:

Players that don't play for two years don't return to form.  Cleveland got had. 

For sure.  And I got had by taking on an orphan dynasty team that had him as QB1.  Never was able to find anything better than Mac Jones to serve as a backup and/or insurance policy and now both QBs suck.  My team is somehow 3-2, though, so hoping Watson rounds into form but I'm not holding out hope for that.

2 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

both shoulders for me.  surgery on one, but not the other. more issues with the non-surgical one currently.  i did not have nfl rehab, but even after significant improvement definitely was impacted.  i was coaching my daughter's lacrosse team around the time of the surgery and overhand throwing was for that side was painful before and after (this was before the other one started to hurt).

arthrogram's revealed tears in both, from rugby and roaming the outfield for years. I will not get surgery there like I did on the back or my foot. However, a major weather change this week, and they are screaming. If a guy says his shoulders don't work, then they don't work. 

9 minutes ago, gilthorp said:

arthrogram's revealed tears in both, from rugby and roaming the outfield for years. I will not get surgery there like I did on the back or my foot. However, a major weather change this week, and they are screaming. If a guy says his shoulders don't work, then they don't work. 

for me... it was/can be motion over head: reaching, throwing, i sleep on my stomach (arms up).

so for lacrosse- when it was the bottom hand, no problem, but top hand... throwing catching was painful

47 minutes ago, Finn5033 said:

Either he got a misdiagnosis from the doctor or he should be playing. If he was cleared than it’s likely a pain tolerance thing and I don’t blame the fans or his teammates for being mad that he’s choosing not to play 

The more the coaches try to tell us he is a tough guy and would play if he could, the less people will believe. OC Alex VanPelt spoke to the media telling them what a warrior he is. Saying something like "if a RB cannot go full speed they don't play"  BS... and look at Kelce playing on that ankle injury last week, coming back in and making some very key plays. I guess different than a QB.

Just hope Walker does a better job than the rookie did against BAL, but the 49ers defense will force them to throw the ball to be in the game. 

Saw this story yesterday behind the Cleveland.com "subscriber exclusive" now see it on MSN...Browns beat writer Mary Kay Cabot (yes I've panned her in the past) saying that Watson won't return to the field until he is pain free. I thought players play thru pain all the time? Maybe this is different, or maybe a fully guaranteed $230M contract makes it less appealing. Or maybe the Browns want him to sit so he is healthy and this doesn't linger. 

Deshaun Watson could miss multiple more games with strain-like deep contusion in rotator cuff; Browns won’t play him until pain free: Mary Kay Cabot (msn.com)

Watson has finally spoken, and explained that it is "a strained rotator cuff with micortears". He says they found out Saturday night before the Ravens game, and that's why there was so much confusion (they had said he was medically cleared, then he was not able to go, and now the "not sure when he's ready). That came after the swelling went down and they did an MRI. 

He says he won't play until he can do so without hurting the team. (Some early report said he would not play until he could throw pain free, Watson says that is not the #1 priority.) He said he may not be 100% all season. (Sounds like the 2nd year of his very costly contract could be far less than what was expected.) 

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2023/10/deshaun-watson-confirmed-he-has-a-strained-rotator-cuff-with-micro-tears-will-rest-wednesday-and-wont-play-until-he-can-throw-normally.html

Well either way, let PJ Walker work with the first team and prepare to play. When Watson is ready he can get back to practice or just jump into game action. What's a little more rust on a guy that sat for a guy that's had as much time away from the game as he has. 

40 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Watson practiced Thursday and Friday and looked good. The team expects him to play today, barring any setbacks in pregame warmups. According to local media 

thanks.  Good news for Browns players and fans.  And rotator cuff issues are a majorbitch. 

Edited by Dcat