[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Joe Montana

keggerz

All I was trying to do was 2 things RILE UP THE UT :oldrazz:

and stating what is the obvious...If I were a NE Fan I would HOPE that MY TEAM allows my QB to protect leads thru the playoffs because in MY OPINION he hasnt had to go thru the adversaties(sp?) that some of the others have(Elway/Farve etc) and if you NEED BRADY to LEAD THE TEAM to a WIN with less then 2 mins to go...I think you are in for a letdown ...the kid has the goods but I am just saying he aint the second coming yet and you grow thru trials and tribulations...last nite gives Brady something to grow with...

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man what a tough crowd. Come on, be reasonable and give credit where it's due.

Overrated? By what standard? What I hear about Brady is that he may not be the most talented or have the best physical attributes, but he's smart, he's accurate, and he's great when it counts. You really cannot deny that. Yes, he has benefited from being on a great all around team, and I think everyone acknowledges that. But he did engineer two game-winning drives in the SB. That requires grace under pressure when it counts most...and Brady has that.

Yes, he's had and will have bad games. They all do. But he brings it when it counts...and in my book that's all you can ask for. I see some of that in Big Ben. That's what matters in life. When it counts can you make it happen.

The one year that Brady didn't have a dominating defense, his team missed the playoffs.  Winning is a TEAM effort, much more so in football than many other sports.  Individuals don't win, teams do.

623795[/snapback]

The Patriots do not have a dominating defense this year. They haven't since Ty law went down.

Teams are just figuring out (and I can't understand why it took so long) that this defense can be thrown on all night long. Earthwind Mooreland, Asante Samuel, Randall Gaye, and Troy Brown have nary a worthy NFL staring CB among them. This makes the whole defense weak, and it is starting to show.

The team as a whole has still put together enough to win on most nights, and the defense should come back up to speed quickly when Ty law is back on the field. That one corner will make an enormous difference in the level of play.

One thing that's interesting...in the 4 losses the Pats have had over the past 2 years, Brady has had at least 3 turnovers in each game, and 4 INTs twice. It was my observation that he cost the team all four games. Whatever your opinion of the Pats, it is MHO that the team does rise and fall largely with the play of Tom Brady. The team has not lost a game he played well in 2 years.

if you NEED BRADY to LEAD THE TEAM to a WIN with less then 2 mins to go...I think you are in for a letdown ...

624017[/snapback]

:D

Good Lord, that's absolutely f'n laughable, keggerz!! :eek: How many Super Bowls does a guy have to win by leading his team downfield in the waning moments under the greatest possible pressure in front of millions of viewers? Five? Seven?

Peeps really need to calm down a bit - it was one game. Let me first say that I never agreed with the Brady/Montana comparisons - Madden is a senile old man who makes some of the most ridiculous comments in the world . . . this is one that just grew legs and people stupidly ran with it. Another thing people have to understand is that nobody ever said Brady was as good as Montana - the whole thing started when Madden said Brady "reminds me of a young Joe Montana." Apples and oranges, my friends.

Brady's not the greatest QB in the world, but 1 bad game doesn't spell the end for the Pats.

Stepping up in UT's absence I see. :D

Tom "I won Super Bowls because of my surrounding cast" Brady.

624008[/snapback]

You mean a surrounding cast like harrison & edge, or plaxico, ward & bettis, or moss, carter & robert smith, or....

you're a smart guy, hugh, but that was just plain silly. brady has played/succeeded with more no-name players than any of the "big name/big stat" qb's ever have.

One thing that's interesting...in the 4 losses the Pats have had over the past 2 years, Brady has had at least 3 turnovers in each game, and 4 INTs twice.  It was my observation that he cost the team all four games.  Whatever your opinion of the Pats, it is MHO that the team does rise and fall largely with the play of Tom Brady.  The team has not lost a game he played well in 2 years.

624041[/snapback]

That tells me that the Pats rely on their defense and ball control to win games. If Brady turns the ball over a few times, it's unlikely that he'll be able to make up for that.

Edited by Bill Swerski

That tells me that the Pats rely on their defense and ball control to win games.  If Brady turns the ball over a few times, it's unlikely that he'll be able to make up for that.

624074[/snapback]

Show me a QB who has a winning record in games where he turns the ball over at least 3 times and I'll get you a ham sandwich on rye and a chocolate pudding for dessert. 3 turnovers - nobody wins when their QB turns it over 3 times (not to mention 4) . . . I'd be interested to see the winning % of QBs in that situation.

"Its just rediculous in this modern day, watered down NFL, that anyone compares this guy to Montana. He isnt even on par with Aikman, Young or J Kelley as a QB. Those Bills teams that got spanked in 4 straight Sbs would tear this NE team a new ass week in week out. Hell if I was given the NE D, and I had to pick any QB in the NFL for one game Id take Manning, Favre, or McNair when healthy, over Brady in todays NFL."

didnt one of those Bills teams lose Superbowl 25 to a Belichick led defense??

Jim Kelly 18-30 for 212 yards and no touchdowns??

hmmmm

I understand alot of you love to get at the Patriots in any form, the one or two oppurtunities you get a year, because of the poster known as "ugly tuna".

But just because Brady turned in a Tony Easonesque performance, doesnt mean hes turned into Tony Eason

Show me a QB who has a winning record in games where he turns the ball over at least 3 times and I'll get you a ham sandwich on rye and a chocolate pudding for dessert.  3 turnovers - nobody wins when their QB turns it over 3 times (not to mention 4) . . . I'd be interested to see the winning % of QBs in that situation.

624079[/snapback]

That's true. But, as we saw last night, Brady can't always get it done in tight games. There's no denying that a dominating defense takes A LOT of pressure off of its team's QB.

That's true.  But, as we saw last night, Brady can't always get it done in tight games.  There's no denying that a dominating defense takes A LOT of pressure off of its team's QB.

624093[/snapback]

Indeed, but nobody can always get it done. All that matters is that he gets it done in the tight games that mean something (no need to even list them). The outcome of this game was pretty much superfluous, anyway - I don't see PIT losing either of its final 2 games, so I think homefield was going to end up with PIT regardless.

YEah, I agree, I'd much rather have Peyton "NEVER WON A BIG GAME IN MY LIFE" Manning than Brady. 

Grow up you immature football viewers.  Brady shredded good defenses all year, Baltimore, Jets, Buffalo twice.  We've lost 2 games: one with Dillon out and one after Charlie Weis spent all week in South Bend.

623971[/snapback]

Whoa there big fella! While I certainly can't agree with all this unappreciation and piling on of Brady, he did not "shred" the Jets' defense. Yes, his completion ratio was high, and NE was ultra-conservative that day, but 230 yards and one TD, for a whopping 13 points at home isnt my idea of a "shredding"!

Every QB has a bad day. Outside of stupid announcers and Pat's fans, he is under rated. He is a solid QB that knows how to play in his offensive system, and does that perhaps better than anyone. There are other QB's I'd want down a score late in the 4th, but he knows how to put up W's, and that is what counts.

Since this is a fantasy football board, the opinion of Brady here may be a little bit different if we were all not obsessed with the stats associated with our "hobby".

Brady is a great QB in the system he is asked to perform in.

He may not be a top ten fantasy QB, but I think the Patriots coaches or fans wouldn't be too quick to replace Mr. Brady with any other QB in the league. He fits their system perfectly and has great poise under pressure. Last night's game was not really a pressure situation. The playoffs and Super Bowl are and he has performed in both.

Leadership and poise under pressure are not fantasy football stat categories, but I guarantee you they are important to GMs and head coaches in the NFL. Brady might lead the league in both categories.

Look, I went to UM when Brady was there and I'm a Pats season ticket holder. There have been exactly ONE chokes by him (last night) with the game on the line in the last 2 minutes. I guarantee that's as good if not better than Montana, Eway, Marino et al.

He has a terrible supporting cast, Dillon aside. There are about 4 pro-bowlers on the whole team, Vinatieri, Seymour, Bruschi and Dillon, but none other than Vinatieri deserve to start.

Brady bashers can rejoice for one week. But in a tight game in January, with 2 minutes to go, I'll take Brady over ANY QB IN THE NFL. ESPECIALLY Manning. Manning to me will NEVER EVER win the big game. He forces the tight pass into coverage. He's a fantasy stud, but a true fan's nightmare.

Enjoy your Dan Marino career, Peyton. We're too busy counting our rings.

We'll see soon enough. Manning is a better QB, and has more fourth quarter comebacks than Mr. Brady. Last year in New England was Manning's "choke" job. And let's let Brady's career wind up before we start comparing him to Elway, Marino, and Montana. All of whom I would take before Brady or Manning.

Look, I went to UM when Brady was there and I'm a Pats season ticket holder.  There have been exactly ONE chokes by him (last night) with the game on the line in the last 2 minutes.  I guarantee that's as good if not better than Montana, Eway, Marino et al.

He has a terrible supporting cast, Dillon aside.  There are about 4 pro-bowlers on the whole team, Vinatieri, Seymour, Bruschi and Dillon, but none other than Vinatieri deserve to start.

Brady bashers can rejoice for one week.  But in a tight game in January, with 2 minutes to go, I'll take Brady over ANY QB IN THE NFL.  ESPECIALLY Manning.  Manning to me will NEVER EVER win the big game.  He forces the tight pass into coverage.  He's a fantasy stud, but a true fan's nightmare.

Enjoy your Dan Marino career, Peyton.  We're too busy counting our rings.

624206[/snapback]

I am so gonna love it when Peyton beats you fools in the playoffs.

You mean a surrounding cast like harrison & edge, or plaxico, ward & bettis, or moss, carter & robert smith, or....

you're a smart guy, hugh, but that was just plain silly. brady has played/succeeded with more no-name players than any of the "big name/big stat" qb's ever have.

624062[/snapback]

Well, I beg to differ, except about the part about me being a smart guy. :D

Brady is a good QB. Brady had a bad game. No big deal. Tom Brady is not a QB of the Peyton Manning caliber. That's the point I was trying to make. Brady has been succesful because of the people around him, you have to be able to admit that. And I'm talking on the defensive side of the ball. If Tom Brady goes out and doesn't f*ck the game up the Patriots have an excellent chance of winning. If Peyton Manning goes out and has the mindset of not f*cking the game up, the Colts will lose. There is a HUGH difference, and even you "blinded by homerism" Pats fans need to see that.

:snapswrist: bzzzzzzzz :kerplunkbloopbloopbloop:

Man NE NATION is in UPROAR DEFENDING MR BRADY....

All I ASKED WAS: "HOW MANY TIMES HAS JOE MONTANA THROWN 4 INTS?"

thats it and thanks to KS2k for ANSWERING MY QUESTION....

Where is spain when you need him

Brady is a good QB. Brady had a bad game. No big deal. Tom Brady is not a QB of the Peyton Manning caliber. That's the point I was trying to make. Brady has been succesful because of the people around him, you have to be able to admit that. And I'm talking on the defensive side of the ball. If Tom Brady goes out and doesn't f*ck the game up the Patriots have an excellent chance of winning. If Peyton Manning goes out and has the mindset of not f*cking the game up, the Colts will lose. There is a HUGH difference, and even you "blinded by homerism" Pats fans need to see that.

624243[/snapback]

You are wise.