[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

League up in Arms

AirNair

Im the commish in my league and several weeks ago we said the LOWER seed will win ties in the playoffs... I was the number one seed going in to the playoffs - we have always had the better team (record / points win tie breakers)

Another player said so i'll win a tie with you and I said no I'm the lower seed (technically I have learned I am the highest seed being seed 1) everyone seemed to understand... I have New England D and trailed by 5 points ... early on Monday I even told the team i was playing I needed 5 to win ... well I only got 5 and One of ten guys is making a big stink... I have always been fair as commish and Im ready to just give it to the other team even though they felt they lost until this other guy started chiming in... What should I do... Havent been to the big dance for about 8 years but dont want to back door my way in even though the majority said they knew what I meant by LOWER seed???

That is a pretty convoluted explanation....but I think you are saying that you meant HIGHER seed but said LOWER seed. Are your rules written anywhere? If not, I think you have to give the win to the lower seed in the event of a tie if that was the understanding going in.

Obviously not everyone knew what you meant. I would have been one of those guys too. The #1 seed is the highest. I'm surprised that anyone that follows sports wouldn't know that. In my opinion you lose. It stinks, but you should have worded your rules properly.

did I mention that I told them I need 5 to win and I got 5

also 9 of 10 guys are in my favor!!

624927[/snapback]

I'd have said lower seed was 8th and higher seed was 1st and you said lower would get it ... dang ... You know what the right thing to do is ... and then next year find a better way to break playoff ties.

this is the most ridiculous thing i've heard. i can't believe most people have told you to give away the game.

i wouldn't have said it that way either, but if everyone understood what you meant (and didn't complain beforehand when you explained how many points were needed), you should get the win. most importantly, if the guy you're playing understood, then that should be the end of it. ask him whether he wants to steal a victory in the playoffs over what is at best a technicality? if he says yes, then get out of the league anyway.

just because you're a commissioner doesn't mean that you have to give in, although you definitely should be fair. so ask that question: what would the ruling be if you had two irate owners claiming the victory, where 9 out of 10 admit to understanding what the tiebreaker was?

and who is this one whiner? is he still in the playoffs? if so, he's just angling to get you out so that he can play a weaker team in the finals. if not, tell him to mind his own business and get over it.

It's common sense.

In sports "High Seed" is the lower number, "Low Seed" is the higher number. It's common venacular.

I can't believe somebody is even bringing that weak ass argument to the table. I'd tell him NO and tell him that there is no need for him to return next year.

And it is a dumb tie-breaker IMO. A playoff game should not be determined based on what happened in the regular season resulting in an arbitrary seed being assigned. For instance in my league I was the 5th seed because I had the misfortune of being in a strong division and not winning my division ... the 4th seed won his division but had a worse record than I did. So in the playoffs you would give him the tie-breaker ... ludicrous.

Is it in writing? Tough way to break a tie. I hate to be a dick, but I'd have to side w/ the one guy making a stink. You said the lowest seed would win if a tie occurred, and would you even want to win it all that way anyhows.

That said... if the your opponent agrees w/ you and he was under the same impression and thought you got the win regardless, then I have to side w/ you.

Sorry to be little help.

How do most people break ties?

I think you've got to give it to the lower seed. Who really knows what you meant? Only you do, so you must go by the rule as written. It does suck for you but, next year find a better way to break ties and when writting a rule make darn sure of your wording.

625112[/snapback]

I agree with this guy. Sorry you should lose. Lower seed means the team beneath the higher seeds. Tough break but you need to keep the integrity of your league by leading by example. In future years, you'll be glad you took this one on the chin.

Use decimals to refigure your score for the week!!!!

87 yards =8 pts (1 pt per 10 yds)

87 yards = 8.7 pts ( yards divided by 10 = points)

This will surly break your tie!!!!!

10 for rushing

10 for rec

25 for passing

Whatever your league uses, divide the yards gained by whatever (10,10,or 25) and decide how many decimal places to go out to....you wont be tied anymore...if you still are you better go buy a lottery ticket because the odds are close to the same!!!!

WE use the same tie breaker in my league (but as the 3rd tie breaker).

I agree with allowing the league to vote on it. It seems to me that everyone in the league understood the intent, including your opponent.

Take the win and rewrite the tiebreaker rule>

It's common sense.

In sports "High Seed" is the lower number, "Low Seed" is the higher number.  It's common venacular.

I can't believe somebody is even bringing that weak ass argument to the table.  I'd tell him NO and tell him that there is no need for him to return next year.

625124[/snapback]

Yup!

AND, it is your fault for not having it spelled out in writing with an example. Under your rules though, it makes sense that the better team gets the "extra point" in the event of a tie. For the lesser team to try and make an argument that because they were not is good as the best team is STUPID!

If 9 out of 10 owners agree with you why does your topic say that your league is "Up in arms"?

Obviously only 1 owner is up in arms.

If it truly is 9-1 in favor of you advancing then what is the issue.

Although I will say shame on you as the commissioner for letting the wording of this rule be so wrongly written.

And I am in agreement with anyone who has said that you can't use anything from the regular season to break a playoff tie.

And I second the person who said to use decimal scoring. It solves a lot of problems in the tie department. In my league we score everything out to the hundreths (2 places after the decimal).

I can't beleive the number of people who are defending the lower seeded team.

Though a stupid way to determine a tie-break, it has been really really common to find that (properly)worded in many league rules. The idea has always been clear that a team is being rewarded for having done better throuout the season. A sort of homefield advantage that confers upon the higher team an 'extra point' if you will.

Why would any league EVER have the tie break determined by awarding ties to the team that had a worse season.

The explanation to your commishing mistake (semantics) is perfectly understandable, and if, as you claim 9 out of 10 people "get it" than move on.

You clearly can't now determine a different tie-break (ie. bench points, or decimals) as you both already know the results, and he could accuse you of just looking for any tie break that favours you.

either 1) step up as commish, even though you effed up originally, that is one of the reasons you are commish

2) offer to bet him for a tiebreaker. It can be anything: the O/U on a basketball game. Picking 4 players on a bowl game etc.... than you are not using past results to ratify your decision, but prognostication ability, which is what FF is about

And you both have an equal chance to win, and no one can whine about losing.

good luck

Can't quite understand what happened but my interpretation is:

The problem with the wording LOWER or HIGHER in the rules??? Because if it is the LOWER seed winning a tie, you would not win any tiebreakers. #1 (you) seed is the HIGHEST.

Sounds like some poor wording in your rules to me...or poor interpretation. I can't imagine the worse team getting an edge like this.

Question: The guy complaining....is he in the playoffs and does the outcome effect his opponent this week? Because he then has every right to complain.

I don't understand why many think that giving the higher seed the "home field advantage" and awarding that team a victory in the case of a tie is stupid.

I find bench points to be a poor way to break a tie. If that was the tie-breaking criteria, once I made the playoffs, I would load up on QBs who typically score higher than other players. A team that carries an extra kicker or defense would likewise be at a disadvantage against a team that did not.

Im the commish in my league and several weeks ago we said the LOWER seed will win ties in the playoffs... I was the number one seed going in to the playoffs - we have always had the better team (record / points win tie breakers)

Another player said so i'll win a tie with you and I said no I'm the lower seed (technically I have learned I am the highest seed being seed 1) everyone seemed to understand... I have New England D and trailed by 5 points ... early on Monday I even told the team i was playing I needed 5 to win ... well I only got 5 and One of ten guys is making a big stink... I have always been fair as commish and Im ready to just give it to the other team even though they felt they lost until this other guy started chiming in... What should I do... Havent been to the big dance for about 8 years but dont want to back door my way in even though the majority said they knew what I meant by LOWER seed???

624906[/snapback]

which is lower 1 or 6, so I dont see the problem if the rest of the league understands what you were saying.

#1 seed team should always advance over #6 seed if there is a tiebreaker. Personally I think you should find a better way to break tiebrekaers than seeds in the future anyway.

Id put the 3 teams in the SB.

you and the team you tied with combined score divided by 2 = avg score is your score. vs the other team.

If your avg score wins the bowl, you split 1st and 3rd place money.

If your avg score losed the bowl you split 2nd and 3rd place money.

So now the cash is taken care of

As far as SB Champ, the highest score between the 2 of you is the Champ if your avg score beats the other team, if not, you are 2nd in the record book and he is 3rd.

I don't like bench points for a tie breaker. In certain cases, I will cary a starter with their backup on my bench, (ie. handcuff.) I believe that many of you do the same thing. Obviously, there will be alot of weeks when that bench player puts up very few points. Yet, it is still a smart roster move. Why would you penalize a guy in a tiebreaker situation for making smart roster moves? Go with total TDs scored or something along those lines.