[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gulf-coasters, this don't look good

wiegie

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happened? Link?

Water was forced through the walls of my apartment and I lost clothes, electronics including my computer, tv and stereo. Nothing happened here flood wise and our building handled it like a champ! If I had been here I would have been able to move my stuff out of harms way. We have a great # more people in my neighborhood staying this time around for the same reason. It was 2 or 3 weeks before they would even let us in to check on our homes the last time. That won't be happening to me this time around!

It's getting stronger :wacko:

Tbimm - based on the bolded part below...does that mean they can force you to move?

Gustav swells to dangerous Cat 4 storm off Cuba By WILL WEISSERT, Associated Press Writer

52 minutes ago

HAVANA - Gustav swelled into a fearsome Category 4 hurricane with winds of 145 mph on Saturday as Cuba raced to evacuate more than 240,000 people and Americans to the north clogged highways fleeing New Orleans.

ADVERTISEMENT

Gustav already has killed 78 people in the Caribbean and the U.S. National Hurricane Center in Miami said it could strengthen even more after hitting Cuba and entering the warm Gulf of Mexico on a projected course for the Katrina-battered U.S. coast.

Cuba grounded all national airline fights, though planes bound for international destinations were still taking off at Havana's Jose Marti International Airport. Authorities also canceled all buses and trains to and from the capital, as well as ferry and air service to the Isla de Juventud, the outlying Cuban island-province next in Gustav's path.

Heavy winds had already felled mango and almond trees and were shaking the roofs of buildings in the province, said Ofilia Hernandez, who answered a community telephone near downtown Nueva Gerona, Isla de la Juventud's largest city.

"Everyone's at home. It's getting very ugly," she said. "All night last night there was wind, but not like now. Now it's very strong. Things are starting to fall down."

The government's AIN news agency said officials were evacuating some 190,000 people from low-lying parts of tobacco-rich Pinar del Rio province on the western tip of Cuba's main island. AIN reported that 50,000 already had been evacuated further east.

Stiff winds whipped intermittent rains across Havana, where police officers in blue and orange rain coats supervised workers removing stones, tree branches and other debris from the storied beachfront Malecon, as angry waves crashed against the sea wall below.

Some shuttered stores had hand-scrawled "closed for evacuation" signs plastered to their doors. At others, small lines formed as residents stocked up on bread. Cars waiting to fill up their tanks stretched into the street outside some gas stations.

"It's very big and we've got to get ready for what's coming," said Jesus Hernandez, a 60-year-old retiree who was using an electric drill to reinforce the roof of his rickety front porch.

The U.S. naval base at Guantanamo, Cuba, was hundreds of miles to the east, out of the storm's path.

Gustav rolled over the Cayman Islands Friday with fierce winds that tore down trees and power lines while destroying docks and tossing boats ashore on Little Cayman Island, but there was little major damage and no deaths were reported.

By midday Saturday, Gustav was about 185 miles east of the western tip of Cuba and just 55 miles east-southeast of the Isla de Juventud. It was expected to be moving northwest near 14 mph.

Hurricane force winds extended out 60 miles in some places.

Haiti's Interior Ministry on Saturday raised the hurricane death toll there to 66 from 59. Gustav also killed eight people in the Dominican Republic and four in Jamaica.

Gustav could strike the U.S. Gulf coast anywhere from the Florida Panhandle to Texas, but forecasters said there was an increasing chance that New Orleans will get slammed by at least tropical-storm-force winds, three years after devastating Hurricane Katrina.

People began pouring out of the city along the highways and the government announced plans for broader evacuations. The Federal Emergency Management Agency said it expects a "huge number" of Gulf Coast residents will be told to leave the region this weekend.

As much as 80 percent of the Gulf of Mexico's oil and gas production could be shut down as a precaution if Gustav enters as a major storm, weather research firm Planalytics predicted. Oil companies have already evacuated hundreds of workers from offshore platforms.

Retail gas prices rose Friday for the first time in 43 days as analysts warned that a direct hit on Gulf energy infrastructure could send pump prices hurtling toward $5 a gallon. Crude oil prices ended slightly lower in a volatile session as some traders feared supply disruptions and others bet the U.S. government will release supplies from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve.

Meanwhile, the hurricane center said Tropical Storm Hanna was projected to near the Turks and Caicos Islands late Sunday or on Monday, then curl through the Bahamas by early next week before possibly threatening Cuba.

It had sustained winds near 50 mph Saturday and the hurricane center warned that it could kick up dangerous rip currents along parts of the southeastern U.S. coast.

Baton Rouge looks like it could see some of the worst being on the near center east side. I am staying though...as of now. I got my Mom and Dad out of New Iberia and Lafayette. Slayer, TBimm, and Big F'n Dave...pm me your cell numbers. I am afraid this bastard is going to hit all of us very hard. Baton Rouge is having that similar tone of military helicopters, national guard convoys, state police everywhere, red cross workers, gas stations sold out of fuel, and traffic grid locked. I went to Home Depot this morning and I watched two guys fighting over a last generator. I use to think all the over reaction was silly but after Katrina and Rita...I don't feel that way anymore. I'd offer one of my two houses (One is empty as I am selling it...we are closing 9/19/08) to you guys but I don't think Baton Rouge will be any safer. :wacko:

Edited by SuperBalla

Baton Rouge looks like it could see some of the worst being on the near center east side. I am staying though...as of now. I got my Mom and Dad out of New Iberia and Lafayette. Slayer, TBimm, and Big F'n Dave...pm me your cell numbers. I am afraid this bastard is going to hit all of us very hard. Baton Rouge is having that similar tone of military helicopters, national guard convoys, state police everywhere, red cross workers, gas stations sold out of fuel, and traffic grid locked. I went to Home Depot this morning and I watched two guys fighting over a last generator. I use to think all the over reaction was silly but after Katrina and Rita...I don't feel that way anymore. I'd offer one of my two houses (One is empty as I am selling it...we are closing 9/19/08) to you guys but I don't think Baton Rouge will be any safer. :wacko:

:D Like I told ya yesterday, feel free to give me a buzz if you need anything.

Were you able to get some sandbags? They might help, if even just a bit.

:D Like I told ya yesterday, feel free to give me a buzz if you need anything.

Were you able to get some sandbags? They might help, if even just a bit.

:D I did find them and I have enough to barricade my back doors from water. We had a bad rain where it rained for several hours and I had some water building up near the edge of my back door. :wacko: I am going to build a wall...

Yikes for all of you in that area. :D

We have friends from Lafayette headed out here tomorrow morning (staying in a hotel here in Austin) and wife's mom and stepdad possibly coming tomorrow or Monday.

Glad to hear you got some sandbags, Balla... believe it or not, they may help a lot.

We'll be prayin' for all ya in Louisiana and the Gulf Coast.

I see that slayer is staying...tbimm are you staying too? My Mom got a phone call this morning (a generic phone blast) from the parish president telling them there was a mandatory evacuation for Iberia Parish...here we go again. :wacko: I really...really...like Jindal and I think he'll stay on top of everything following the storm. Also...they flew my little brother in from off shore. He works on an oil platform in the gulf. He might come stay with me...

I see that slayer is staying...tbimm are you staying too? My Mom got a phone call this morning (a generic phone blast) from the parish president telling them there was a mandatory evacuation for Iberia Parish...here we go again. :wacko: I really...really...like Jindal and I think he'll stay on top of everything following the storm. Also...they flew my little brother in from off shore. He works on an oil platform in the gulf. He might come stay with me...

not sure about the staying part now, things have definately taken a turn for the worse. will be making a decision tomorrow with a couple of friends around noon, should have a good read on what's going on. started packing.

not sure about the staying part now, things have definately taken a turn for the worse. will be making a decision tomorrow with a couple of friends around noon, should have a good read on what's going on. started packing.

Good idea.

My house is your house. Bring your friends.

That goes for the rest of you too.

We have made the commitment to stay. You spend money on leaving or staying but unless your rich you don't spend on both. It looks bad but we will be safe and sound here. This is just gonna suck a whole lot more than we thought is all. We will be ok I promise!

If that's coming at you as a Cat 4-5, you need to go.

We have made the commitment to stay. You spend money on leaving or staying but unless your rich you don't spend on both. It looks bad but we will be safe and sound here. This is just gonna suck a whole lot more than we thought is all. We will be ok I promise!

If that's coming at you as a Cat 4-5, you need to go. Would you evacuate if I told you I liked you?

:wacko: I think you should atleast head to Mississippi or something. It will be miserable staying there...I thought it was mandatory?

If that's coming at you as a Cat 4-5, you need to go.

If that's coming at you as a Cat 4-5, you need to go. Would you evacuate if I told you I liked you?

Only if you can prove to me that you are black. :wacko:

I didn't read the previous posts, just wanted to offer a prayer and best wishes to all of you in Gustav's path! :wacko:

May yall come thru this as safely and unscathed as possible.

:wacko: I think you should atleast head to Mississippi or something. It will be miserable staying there...I thought it was mandatory?

Armed, stocked with food and water, more than enough fuel for the generator which will be wired directly to my main. Chad....... We are good! I will be posting until right after we lose power. Battery backup gives me 15 mins. I will post again as soon as we get it back.

Governor Bobby Jindal said the National Weather Service is fairly confident that Hurricane Gustav will strike along the Louisiana coastline and could be “as bad as it gets.”

Jindal said that the Hurricane Center predicts that there could be tidal surges of 15 to 20 feet could be expected and that flooding could be ‘worse than Katrina,’ though Jindal said it could not be pinpointed where the flooding would occur.

Jindal also said that since Gustav is coming on an angle toward the city, that a move to the right could delay its strike time by as much as six hours, while a move to the left could delay it by 12 hours.

The State has mobilized 7,000 National Guardsmen and has an additional 700 support personnel coming in.

Jindal issued an executive order closing schools in 30 districts on Tuesday and Wednesday of next week.

Be careful down there, fellas. Hope everyone comes out of this ok.