[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Greatest play you ever saw

BigMikeinNY

I don't know if it's the best I ever saw, but it put the Vikes into the playoffs instead of out of it.

I would have to say Ahmad Rashad's around the back one-handed catch against the Cleveland Browns. It was a long desperation pass to end the game. Rashad hauls it in and scores the td.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you count cheaters, I'd have to say the Drew Pearson push off of Nate Wright to catch the Hail Mary catch was right up there. But of course I never actually liked that one. That was against one of the best Vikings teams of all times and it ended their season.

Yeah, that Carolina/St. Louis game was a good one.  I think that was the first play of the second overtime, wasn't it?

1265246[/snapback]

Yes, and it's the only play that has ever brought a tear to my eye, the pressure just sitting there watching it for me was off the scale. Total elation-pure and simple.

Franco Harris' immaculate reception was probably the greatest play I've ever seen. He caught that ball an inch from the ground and I knew he caught it because he never slowed down or stopped looking downfield for defenders.

This was a much better play than the MNF catch that Antonio Freeman had against the Vikes. That was just plain wrong. :D

Edited by MikesVikes

This was a much better play than the MNF catch that Antonio Freeman had against the Vikes.  That was just plain wrong.  :D

1265324[/snapback]

My previous one I posted was the one I saw in person.

This was a more amazing play.

The Dante Hall punt return against Denver several years ago...

1265125[/snapback]

You forgot, "After about five clips..." :D

My favorite is the Elway to Rod Smith pass described here:

"Sept. 17, 1995 -- Elway directs eight-play, 80-yard drive that culminated with a 43-yard TD pass to Rod Smith on the final play of the game (play began at 0:06), breaking a 31-31 tie and giving Denver a 38-31 victory at home over the Washington Redskins. The drive began on the Broncos' 20-yard line with 1:07 remaining."

My seats at the old Mile High were in the East stands at about the 20 yard line so we had a pretty good view of the south end zone, where this happened. It was Rod Smith's first career catch and it was the only time Elway won on the last play of the game.

The Dante Hall punt return against Denver several years ago. I was sitting in that end of the stadium when he caught the ball, and when he ran backwards we were screaming "NO, NO"...

Then he cleared the pile and turned the corner, and once you saw he had nothing but daylight the crowd went absolutely nuts. Denver had us on the ropes that day, and that return gave us the lead.

I swear that stadium roared, LOUDLY, for 20 minutes after that run. Totally electric; a feeling I will never forget.

1265125[/snapback]

I remember that play. The replay showed about 5 clips that were blatantly obvious but of course in KC your not going to get that call! :D

I liked the play when Brad Johnson threw a pass that was batted back to him.  He caught it and ran it in for a TD.  I think it was when he was playing for the Vikings.

He threw a TD to himself.  That's a sweet stat line.

1265244[/snapback]

I lost a fantasy game on that play.

In that league Players got double pts for "unnatural" TDs as in RB catching a TD, WR throwing one, etc. so BJ got 7 pts for the passing TD and 14 pts for the receiving TD - a darn 21 pt. play!! Think I lost by 3 or 4. Brutal!!

One of my most memorable plays was in the Giants-Bills Super Bowl, 3rd and 13 for the Giants on, I believe, theopening drive of the 2nd half that ended up a 9+ minute drive for a TD. Mark Ingram caught a pass about 4 yards short of the first and alluded several tackles to get the first. Great play!!

Best live I've ever seen had to be when GB played at SD in '03 and LT racked up 200 total yds, 144 receiving, just an unbelievable performance, though I can't point to a specific play.

Best I've ever watched was Darrell Green's 40-some yd punt return in the '87 divisional playoffs vs the Bears - big-time player making a big-time play in a big-time game, that's what it's all about.

One of my most memorable plays was in the Giants-Bills Super Bowl, 3rd and 13 for the Giants on, I believe, theopening drive of the 2nd half that ended up a 9+ minute drive for a TD. Mark Ingram caught a pass about 4 yards short of the first and alluded several tackles to get the first. Great play!!

1265548[/snapback]

Ingram probably still masturbates to memories of that moment.

His effort on that play was unbelievable.

Steve Young's 49 yard TD run against the Vikings in 1988.  He slipped by at least 7 defenders, rumbled, stumbled, and flopped into the endzone.  An incredible run!

1265573[/snapback]

I tend to prefer Roger Craig's 33-yd td run in week 7 vs the Rams - busts off tackles, runs through a few guys, basically runs UP the back of the OL hustling downfield in front of him, all the while with his knees churning in that high-stepping style, it was jaw-dropping.

1974 Raiders-Dolphins playoff game

Time running out, Raiders down 26-21, 4th and 10 near the dolphin endzone.

Stabler gets the snap, scrambles...scrambles...Vern den Herder grabs stabler by the ankles and as stabler falls he throws it to a triple covered clarence davis in the endzone for the game winning td.

The road to the 2001 Super Bowl. Pats v. Steelers at Heinz field. Steelers lining up for a fieldgoal. Blocked by the Pats. Picked up by little Troy. During the return he nearly got tackled but lateraled to Antwan Harris who returns it the rest of the way for a score. This play eptitomized their run the the Lombardi trophy. A team of destiny.

Edited by ced1001

The road to the 2001 Super Bowl.  Pats v. Steelers at Heinz field.  Steelers lining up for a fieldgoal.  Blocked by the Pats.  Picked up by little Troy.  During the return he nearly got tackled but lateraled to Antwan Harris who returns it the rest of the way for a score.  This play eptitomized their run the the Lombardi trophy.  A team of destiny.

1265593[/snapback]

:D

Barry Sanders against the Bears anyone???

The back-to-back returns for TDs in the Super Bowl b/n the Ravens and Giants was pretty cool.

Brandon Lloyd has the three most amazing catches I've ever seen, two coming against my beloved hawks.

Although its not one play it was three consecutive plays. But the 2001 Bears against SF when they scored a TD, got the onside kick, got a hail mary for a TD. Then in OT Mike Brown picked off a pass and ran it in for the TD. I remember screaming the entire last 20min of the game "Thats just not real".

1981 ( or 82 ) ...AFC Playoff game

Chargers at Miami ...The famous hook and ladder that Miami ran for the TD late in the first half

In addition i still believe that was the greatest game i ever saw ....Chargers won in OT and Kellen Winslow ( played the game of his life ...even blocked a field goal ) had to be walked off the field as he was exhausted

:D