[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big Ben in mc accident

Front Row

Hope he is ok and good to go for the season. Don't like to see people seriously injured, even by their own stupidity.

On a side note, instant replay will probably show that he was indeed wearing a helmet.

Edited by NoSupe4You

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, let me say I hope the young man suffers no permanent disability.

BUT,

If you don't ride a mc (and mc does not stand for Mc Donalds :D ) your opinion is not worth very much.

I have ridden many miles and many yrs. , Helmets, IMO take away from the pleasure of motorcycling ; period. (Big ole neck cramp from the wind ) They DO protect you from head injury. They ALSO take away your hearing and peripheral vision. They also have been attributed to making neck injuries worse in minor accidents.

Just some food for thought for the critics.

That being said, he was not on a poker run on the backroads with 50 other bikes, he was riding in very heavy traffic. He should have taken every precaution to protect himself and his future.

The ricers as a group IMO ride WAY to fast for their own good, we called them organ donors when I was in the EMS field. Way to easy to hit 100mph +, especially for a young rider.

Oh yeah , and the refs that worked the SB were obviously paid off. :D

I used to ride 3 and 4 wheelers and snowmobiles alot along with the occasional dirt bike.Hafta disagree with the peripheral vision and hearing line here.What you lose in vision and hearing is far outweighed by the protection you get from a good helmet.As far as making neck injuries worse in accidents,I've never heard that one before...

It's the same deal with seat belts,every once in a while someone is killed in a car accident because they were trapped in by the seat belt.This may be true but thousands are saved every year in this country by seat belts.Not knocking your opinion which you're certainly entitled too,but I'll never get on a bike,ATV or snowmobile without one.

So, are you saying that a helmet would have been a hinderence to a rider travelling through a downtown area while an oncoming car turns in front of the bike? Assuming, of course, that the driver of the bike was obeying normal speed laws despite being on the world's fastest legal street bike.

Devils advocate eh?

There is no clearcut and easy answer to the helmet law debate, common sense SHOULD rule the day, to often it does not.

Seems a lot of high horse matter of fact attitudes about mc helmets just gets under my skin.

I wear a DOT helmet now (since the arrival of babygirl :D ), but for years I wore a polo type "beanie" helmet.

I rode way more aggresive then than now , and somehow I still made it home.

I'm not against helmets but I do see valid points on both sides of the debate.

Edited by Front Row

If you don't ride a mc (and mc does not stand for Mc Donalds :D ) your opinion is not worth very much.

I have ridden many miles and many yrs. , Helmets, IMO take away from the pleasure of motorcycling ; period. (Big ole neck cramp from the wind ) They DO protect you from head injury. They ALSO take away your hearing and peripheral vision. They also have been attributed to making neck injuries worse in minor accidents.

When the Harley 100th was here in Milwaukee, we had something like 8-10 fatal bike accidents in the city - and only one or two of them would have been fatal had the riders been wearing helmets.

Your logic is like saying that the 1% of the time seatbelts make an accident worse justifies not wearing one.

Personally, I'd rather risk screwing up my neck than risk having my brains splattered on the pavement, but I'm kinda silly that way.

I agree assuming that it was the world's fastest legal street bike. :D

Just because it's the fastest doesn't mean he was driving like an idiot.

Of course, just because he's Swell Fella Ben Roethliberger doesn't mean he WASN'T driving like a moron.

There is no clearcut and easy answer to the helmet law debate, common sense SHOULD rule the day, to often it does not.

Seems a lot of high horse matter of fact attitudes about mc helmets just gets under my skin.

Yeah there is a clearcut and easy answer. A helmet provides a shield to the pavement. Right? Am I missing something?

It is interesting to note how concerned people get with respect to someone they don't know to the point of scolding him.

The guy's a man. He didn't wear a helmet and now his melon and grill are all busted up. His choice, and now he faces the consequences. Bad break.

I don't know him. I don't pity him. I don't even think that he is stupid. Its just none of my concern. I don't understand people getting wrapped up in it just because the guy throws a football.

Yeah there is a clearcut and easy answer. A helmet provides a shield to the pavement. Right? Am I missing something?

Why do you hate American motorcyclists? :D

It is interesting to note how concerned people get with respect to someone they don't know to the point of scolding him.

The guy's a man. He didn't wear a helmet and now his melon and grill are all busted up. His choice, and now he faces the consequences. Bad break.

I don't know him. I don't pity him. I don't even think that he is stupid. Its just none of my concern. I don't understand people getting wrapped up in it just because the guy throws a football.

I always knew Menudo was a Furd alias.... :D

This would carry more weight if you hadn't apparently read through 300+ posts concering said person. :D

I'm not complaining about any jokes.

There is a difference between just riding the bike down the street and doing stunts in a parking lot.

As I've said 5 times already - Ben is a selfish idiot.

Ben said in an interview last year that riding a sport bike and going 200mph without a helmet is pretty stupid. He said he rides his Harley cruiser with friends in groups and not on highways. Well, it looked to me like the bike in the accident WAS a sport bike and I certainly didn't see any of his riding buddies around.

2nd Ave. can be a very dangerous street in that it's not the bumper-to-bumper traffic of middle city streets.

It probably has a speed limit of at least 35-40mph. Ben needs to wake up and smell his contract. He'll have plenty of time for riding once his NFL career is over.

When he settles down, gets married, and has kids, I'm sure his wife would give him a good ass chewing if he chooses to ride without a helmet.

When Florida first dropped the helmet requirement I decided to ride my bike to a friends a couple miles away. When I got back, my fiance had my helmet on the coffee table and a note attached that read "did you forget something?" She was pretty pissed. Ben needs to start thinking of others instead of himself.

I hope he pulls through this though and doesn't continue to be stupid.

You obviously don't own him in a dynasty league.

I hope I am wrong and have no idea what so ever if its true or not but I heard through the grapevine that he may never play again and it is more serious than there saying ..."ie news conference"

"Disclaimer this was given to me through a friend of a friends sister that works as a nurse at the hospital".

Take this information at face value as far as i am concerned...I'll watch for facts.

Edited by Snaggy

First, let me say I hope the young man suffers no permanent disability.

BUT,

Just some food for thought for the critics.

That being said, he was not on a poker run on the backroads with 50 other bikes, he was riding in very heavy traffic. He should have taken every precaution to protect himself and his future.

The ricers as a group IMO ride WAY to fast for their own good, we called them organ donors when I was in the EMS field. Way to easy to hit 100mph +, especially for a young rider.

Oh yeah , and the refs that worked the SB were obviously paid off. :D

I rode a bike for a number of years, I also had an ATV growing up as a kid. When I was young & stupid I used to ride my 4-wheeler without a helmet. When I grew up I rode my MC with a helmet. Thankfully I was lucky enough in my younger years & safe enough in my later days to not have an accident.

I must say, as an experienced rider, that your every one of your arguments is complete bull. It's something bikers who don't like to wear a helmets tell people who try to make them. While I agree it should be the riders decision to wear a helmet or not I completely disagree with all of your other statements.

I also disagree with the idea that a sport bike is that much more dangerous than a cruiser. It is all up to the rider as to how dangerous a bike can be. You can get killed going 10 MPH on a sport bike just as quicky as you can going 80 on a cruiser.

Neck cramps....good one :D

I rode a bike for a number of years, I also had an ATV growing up as a kid. When I was young & stupid I used to ride my 4-wheeler without a helmet. When I grew up I rode my MC with a helmet. Thankfully I was lucky enough in my younger years & safe enough in my later days to not have an accident.

I must say, as an experienced rider, that your every one of your arguments is complete bull. It's something bikers who don't like to wear a helmets tell people who try to make them. While I agree it should be the riders decision to wear a helmet or not I completely disagree with all of your other statements.

I also disagree with the idea that a sport bike is that much more dangerous than a cruiser. It is all up to the rider as to how dangerous a bike can be. You can get killed going 10 MPH on a sport bike just as quicky as you can going 80 on a cruiser.

Neck cramps....good one :D

His point was, an inexperienced young rider on a crotch rocket is a bad mix. They are very fast and for someone who doesn't fully have control and confidence, they are a disaster waiting to happen. I have been riding since I was 16 and some of the things I see these guys on sport bikes do is just totally assinine.

Wearing a helmet is a personal decision in PA, Ben made the wrong choice.

Have a newbie/"potential take this job over guy" with me and didn't want to show him the standard practices of drinking mass quantities of alcohol out of town....plus he is slow, nervous, and mopey enough anyway....:D

LMAO...mopey.....lol. OK...I'll forgive you! :D But I'm still not happy.

And we didn't get "plowed" last time or anything. OK....they WERE giant beers....but we didn't have 10 of them. :D

Well, as a Steeler fan, this whole situation, after letting it sit for a while, has me sick to my stomach. When you are a fan, you do feel a sort of attachment to your players (cue the ghey jokes). I'm angry that Ben wouldn't listen to the countless people telling him that at the very least, he needed to wear a helmet. All that said, I really feel bad for the consequences that he is now dealing with. I hope he is going to be o.k. I know there are a lot of people pushing the negative aspect on here, but, for now, I'm just going by what is being reported on the news. To be truthful, if Ben misses this whole next season, and then comes back next year healthy, he is still damn lucky. This has been a tough day for Steeler fans, no doubt about it. :D

I'm angry that Ben wouldn't listen to the countless people telling him that at the very least, he needed to wear a helmet.

He's what, 24?

Even the most grounded, down-to-earth, head-on-straight 24 year olds can have their heads up their asses when it comes to certain things (actually, there's no real age limit on head-up-ones-assness, but it's much more prevalent from about 15-25).

On the plus side for him, I believe he's already in the neighborhood of $1.5 million in earnings, so financially he is in a better spot than most.

i hope to god the humanity in you at least has some feeling for the families and loved ones of those involved in accidents like this. im sure his little sister is having a good ol' time knowing her brother just got out of 7 hours of surgery and all the uncertainty regarding his long term health.. ive experienced a death in the family via a horrible car accident a couple months ago.. i know what its like for a family when a young person with a bright future is suddenly killed without warning. i am glad for ben and his family that he has survived. in a blink of an eye your time could be up.. you can feel however you want to though.