[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big Ben in mc accident

Front Row

So Ben was on the radio in Chicago about 2 hours before the accident.

If you want to hear it here is the Link.

Its about 8 min long, there is nothing really that’s related to the accident.

The only thing he said, is how he will miss Jerome bettis. Witch is a bit weird since bettis has been keeping us abreast to the situation.

How is any of this weird? Did you really expect anything about the accident to be told by Ben before it happened? Am i missing something here?

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK- so it's common procedure for head trauma, but how long will it take for the skull to knit back together? and it's got to be "soft" ala an infants head for awhile? So, when will he be able to put on a helmet(wow what a Ironic thought) and be able to take a hit???

In order to do an MRI they would need to wait for any swelling to go down in the knees. They may not know how serious the knees are injured yet.

ESPN is reporting that Big Ben was still in surgery as of 4:30pm. The official word is that they were repairing his broken jaw and "other" injuries. He must have suffered a number of injuries or a couple of serious ones if surgery is taking this long.

Clayton is reporting that the knee injuries aren't severe, but there is no way to know until they get that MRI done. From that interview it was reported that Big Ben is out a minimum of 7 weeks.

A lot of speculation and a lot of different stories. There is going to be a ton of this over the next several days. We won't know anything concrete for a while guys.

He must have suffered a number of injuries or a couple of serious ones if surgery is taking this long.

They called in a plastic surgeon, right? I suspect it will take some time to put his face back together such that he won't look like Frankenstein's monster.

Apparently he was doing about 10 interviews today and he was on his way to a studio to do the last one (Jim Rome). He had just finished up with Mike & Mike and Tony Bruno and went home before going to do the Rome show.

Edited by darin3

I'm nuts as you all know, and have been checking every source I can find. There are conflicting reports EVERYWHERE. It will be a while until we know anything for sure. After what I heard immediately after the accident, I'll be happy if he plays at all this year, and even if he is out this year, things could have been worse.

As for the not wearing the helmet thing, I agree, there is absolutely NO excuse for it. He was just being a stubborn, stupid kid along this issue, thinking that it wouldn't and couldn't happen to him. He really is lucky to be alive.

Some of the sick people posting picture out there amaze me. Go to the Browns, Ravens, and Bengals websites and look what some of the idiots are posting. Don't get me wrong, every fanbase has them, and the idiot Steeler fans would do the same thing, and some did when Palmer got hurt, but, it never ceases to amaze me how classless people can get.

As for the not wearing the helmet thing, I agree, there is absolutely NO excuse for it. He was just being a stubborn, stupid kid along this issue, thinking that it wouldn't and couldn't happen to him. He really is lucky to be alive.

I just don't get this. I mean, he's Ben Roethlisberger. Riding a bike. Wouldn't he want to protect his anonymity? There's a lot of crazy-ass people out there. If I were a famous athlete, I would want to protect my identity.... AND MY HEAD. :D

Hope all goes well for Big Ben. He seems like a good guy. I guess not wearing the helmet goes with the macho/invincible bravado of being an NFL player. There's going to be lots of conflicting statements and rumors until something official is out there.

They called in a plastic surgeon, right? I suspect it will take some time to put his face back together such that he won't look like Frankenstein's monster.

You're right Squeegie....this sort of maxillofacial surgery can be delicate and the plastic surgery on top of that. Tiny layers of sutures. Not to mention most of those roots from broken teeth will have to come out. Healthy roots on a 23 yr old don't give up the ghost all that easily. They also have to wire his bottom jaw....correct? Typically you wire a broken bottom jaw....to the top one. (For a simple fracture anyway.) But he's had a sinus fracture thus weakening the floor of the upper jaw. Pretty tricky stuff.

If they ONLY had these things to do.....it could still be a 4-5 hour procedure.

Edited by SteelBunz

Ride to live, Live to ride!

This is serious enough for me to say if that is true. Could he really play this season. Jaw, knee teeth, cuts that long. Man he aint super man. And I know he got to have some kind of head damage not reported. Man I hope this wake up some people.

Wow...I heard him interviewed on Mike and Mike this morning....and then heard the breaking report as I'm working in Columbus today listening to sports radio....sounds like he's doing okay and his injuries aren't too serious. I hope he is back in action for the full season. I also have a report that hasn't been posted yet.

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who has said he dislikes wearing a motorcycle helmet, was injured in a motorcycle crash and taken to a hospital Monday.

Dr. Larry Jones, chief of trauma at Mercy Hospital, said Roethlisberger was in serious but stable condition in an operating room Monday afternoon. Roethlisberger was undergoing surgery, but Jones would not say for what.

"He was talking to me before he left for the operating room," Jones said. "He's coherent, you know, for a Pittsburgh resident. He's making sense. He knows what happened. He admitted that the Seahawks were ripped off in the Super Bowl which kind of shocked me. He knows where he is. From that standpoint, he's very stable."

The crash happened at an intersection at the edge of downtown at around 11:30 a.m. A pool of blood was visible there early Monday afternoon. An NFL official immediately called a roughing the passer penalty on the Seattle Seahawks despite the fact that they had no players within 1,000 miles of the incident. Seahawks Coach Mike Holmgren indicated that he “wasn’t surprised when notified about the penalty call”, adding that “if a referee can’t get an obvious no-call on a holding or offensive pass interference call correct, what makes anyone think that they’d be able to tell the difference between a Silver Chrysler New Yorker and an defensive lineman”.

Wow...I heard him interviewed on Mike and Mike this morning....and then heard the breaking report as I'm working in Columbus today listening to sports radio....sounds like he's doing okay and his injuries aren't too serious. I hope he is back in action for the full season. I also have a report that hasn't been posted yet.

:D

How is any of this weird? Did you really expect anything about the accident to be told by Ben before it happened? Am i missing something here?

obviously not.

I just think its weird in the "be careful what you wish for" way.

he wished that bettis would be around and now he is.

Most excellent.

He pushed off and you know it.

as i listened to that Mike north interview this morning, i cant believe that the NFL looked over the film and said that the were 99% correct, and they only missed one call. regardless, no point of getting into the whole ref debate. the steelers are the champs.

I hope he is back in action for the full season.

Depending on how exaggerated these updates are, I think there's a chance that he misses most or all of this season. I'm not an M.D., but I imagine that a sinus cavity fracture that's serious enough to warrant a plate will keep him sidelined for several months. And, of course, the knee sprains might be a problem as well.

He's lucky to be alive.