[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big Ben in mc accident

Front Row

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

isn't it so sad that something like an NFL QB dumping his bike and getting hurt gets more coverage and gets all of us whipped up more than a Judge being shot on the steps of the court house in Reno or that 16 year old landing back in the United States after running away from home to the middle east.

isn't it so sad that something like an NFL QB dumping his bike and getting hurt gets more coverage and gets all of us whipped up more than a Judge being shot on the steps of the court house in Reno or that 16 year old landing back in the United States after running away from home to the middle east.

Um, this is a football website.

or that all we read about in the Tailgate is your poop stories

On a fantasy football message board? :D I don't think I'd consider a discusion here a fair forum to make that argument.

Not if you understand that this is a board reserved for the NFL & Fantasy Football.

Head over to the Tailgate for the other stuff.

Just heard, no time to read all the previous posts.

Hope Ben's ok, hate to see it happen. (If he played for anyone except Pitt, or Clev/Balt, he would have a very big fan club 'round these parts)

I also think he's a big idiot. For the big money you get paid as an NFL QB, I think the team has EVERY RIGHT to demand players don't do this foolish chit.

Hope he's back in time for reunion game against Carson, whenever that is. A great rivalry is aleady in progress.

With Jacobs, it is WAY too early to tell, but, the potential is there. They guy had better numbers than Roethlsiberger did in college. In his Jr. year, he had 41 TD's vs. 4 INT's :D and over 4000 yards. He had some injuries his Sr. year, but still had 25 TD's vs. 7 INT's. Befoe the injury, he was thought to be a top 3 QB in the draft after his Jr. season. He has a funky throwing motion that comes low, which could be a problem. Kid definitely has a lot of talent and potential, but, time will tell.

The second best QB in this year's draft. Pitt got a steal. :D

Ben Roethlisberger and his mom were to begin shooting a Campbell's Chunky Soup commercial this week at Heinz Field.

A local crew was scheduled to help with the $2 million dollar shoot.

The latest campaign featured Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb and his mom.

Agreed the MCnabb reference was utter stupidity, no relevance to the story, its like they would have added in that "Fellow Super Bowl winning Quaterback, Troy Aikmen is doing fine"

The Chunky soup curse is getting stronger, it is now executing premeptive strikes.

Edited by wcd480

What surprises me is that is was a crotch rocket (or what a woman might call a Crotch rocket) that he was riding---when questioned last year about his riding habits, he alluded to fact he cruised the back roads on his Hog with groups of people and that somehow made it OK to ditch the helmet.

Anyway, has anyone signed K. Collins yet?

Here comes Debbie Downer :D

P.S. you are correct though, but what can you expect on a fantasy football site.

Roethlisberger injury update

Roethlisberger accident scene

Philip G. Pavely/Tribune-Review

By Jill King Greenwood and and Karen Roebuck

TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Monday, June 12, 2006

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is in serious but stable condition and in surgery this afternoon following a serious head injury this morning after his motorcycle collided with a car on Second Avenue near the 10th Street Bridge, police said.

Roethlisberger lost most of his teeth, fractured his left sinus cavity bone, suffered a nine-inch laceration to the back of his head and a broken jaw, and severely injured both of his knees when he hit the ground, police said.

A plastic surgeon has been summoned.

"He is right now in the (operating room) undergoing some surgery from injuries he received in this accident today," said Dr. Larry Jones, chief of trauma and burns at Mercy Hospital, Uptown. ... He was talking to me before he left for the OR. He's coherent. He's making sense. He knows what happened."

Roethlisberger, 24, who was not wearing a helmet, collided with a Chrysler New Yorker shortly before 11:25 a.m. and was thrown off his motorcycle, flying head-first into the car's windshield "with a pretty good force," said a veteran city police officer.

Roethlisberger was talking and moving his arms and legs after the accident. He suffered injuries to his face and lost several teeth, according to city firefighters.

The injured quarterback was taken to Mercy Hospital, said a Steelers spokesman, who declined to provide other information.

The car, which has Maine license plates, was heading west on Second Avenue and was turning left onto the 10th Street Bridge. Roethlisberger was driving east on Second Avenue riding a Suzuki Hayabusa and collided with the car at the intersection of the bridge and the Armstrong Tunnels.

Roethlisberger, who led the Steelers to a Super Bowl championship this year, slammed into the windshield, rolled over the car and landed on the pavement, striking his head again, said a woman who witnessed the accident.

The witness, who declined to give her name, asked Roethlisberger several times if he was OK. He eventually replied, "My name is Ben."

He asked: "Where am I?"

"You're at the Armstrong Tunnel," the witness said.

"What city is that in?" he said.

"Pittsburgh," the woman replied.

Roethlisberger fell silent for about a minute and then tried to stand up.

"I'm OK," he said.

"No you're not," said the woman, who instructed him to stay still.

Pittsburgh homicide detectives are investigating the accident, which is standard procedure when critical injuries are involved, said city police Lt. Kevin Kraus.

Roethlisberger's 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa, which is named after a Japanese bird of prey, was totaled. The front wheel was broken in half. The handle bars were broken. The left pedal was shattered. The 170-horsepower bike, which weighs 500 pounds fully loaded, was targeted by law enforcement agencies worldwide after its 1998 debut because it could reach a top speed of 189 mph.

Suzuki Motorcycles of North America gave Roethlisberger the bike as part of a promotional deal in exchange for him appearing at several Suzuki dealerships in the area, including Andrews Cycle in Salem, Ohio where he picked up the motorcycle last summer. Andrews' sales staff declined comment.

The motorcycle is popular among first-time buyers, said Steve Stiller, a salesman at Northgate Motorcycles in Cranberry, Butler County.

Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding his motorcycle. He has pointed out Pennsylvania's 35-year-old state law requiring helmets to be worn was amended to make helmets optional.

In May 2005, Steelers coach Bill Cowher lectured Roethlisberger on the dangers of riding without a helmet.

"He talked about being a risktaker and I'm not really a risktaker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said at the time. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."

In May 2005, Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. tore knee ligaments in a motorcycle accident and was lost for the season.

Roethlisberger continued to ride after Winslow's accident and that angered Terry Bradshaw, who quarterbacked the Steelers to four Super Bowl victories during the 1970s.

Visiting the Steelers' training camp last summer, Bradshaw remarked: "Ride it when you retire."

Earlier this year, Roethlisberger led the Steelers to the NFL title, giving the team the fifth Super Bowl win they had been chasing since 1980.

Here comes Debbie Downer :D

P.S. you are correct though, but what can you expect on a fantasy football site.

I'll say it for him. He was talking about general news outlets. Turn on CNN. They made it sound like he died when they broke the story.