[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big Ben in mc accident

Front Row

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we racist? Why all the well wishes for Big Ben and brief mentions of lack in judgement, when everyone on here crucified Winslow for basically the same thing? Or are we just selfesh, and more of us have Big Ben on our teams? I'm now Winslow fan, but I fail to see a significant differnece in the two.

I was wondering the same thing. Because he basically said he wont wear a helmet period. Like he couldnt have a accident or he was Superman. I know Winslow was cocky. But so was he.

Roethlisberger's 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa, which is named after a Japanese bird of prey, was totaled. The front wheel was broken in half. The handle bars were broken. The left pedal was shattered. The 170-horsepower bike, which weighs 500 pounds fully loaded, was targeted by law enforcement agencies worldwide after its 1998 debut because it could reach a top speed of 189 mph.

Suzuki Motorcycles of North America gave Roethlisberger the bike as part of a promotional deal in exchange for him appearing at several Suzuki dealerships in the area, including Andrews Cycle in Salem, Ohio where he picked up the motorcycle last summer. Andrews' sales staff declined comment.

The motorcycle is popular among first-time buyers, said Steve Stiller, a salesman at Northgate Motorcycles in Cranberry, Butler County.

Ben is a ricer? I thought he liked Harleys?

Was just reading some of the Steeler message boards, and they are posting what they are hearing on the radio, so this is all linkless speculation.

Jerome Bettis reported that he has spoken to those close to the situation, and the broken jaw & broken nose are the two major injuries. The knee injuries appear to just be scrapes and bruises according to what Bettis' has been told. They are reporting that he should be ready to go come Week #1.

Personally, I think it is way to early for any speculation, but, I hope the news about scrapes and bruises on the knees are true.

A Hayabusa isn't a leisure bike there Benny boy....and no gear to boot. :D In the motorcycling world, he is refered to as a squid, and will be flamed accordingly on all the bike forums.

Squid: ['Noun'] {slang, generally considered derogatory} is an irresponsible motorcyclist; generally associated with a new or reckless motorcyclist seen riding erratically and/or beyond his or her capabilities often without appropriate riding gear.

Edited by Hitman

I know Bettis is a beloved fan favorite, but c'mon, there is no way I am going to believe anything that comes from him, rather than official reports...... Unless it's confirmed by Bruschi, of course. (Is that joke too old yet?)

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06163/697655-100.stm

Roethlisberger hurt in motorcycle crash, underwent surgery at Mercy Hospital

Monday, June 12, 2006

By Michael A. Fuoco, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was injured when his motorcycle was involved in a crash on Second Avenue near the 10th Street Bridge today.

Dr. Larry Jones of Mercy Hospital addressed the media at 1:25 p.m. and said that Roethlisberger was in serious but stable condition and was undergoing surgery at the hospital for unspecified injuries.

Jones said that Roethlisberger was talking and cognizant of the situation.

Roethlisberger was injured shortly after 11:15 a.m. at the Second Avenue side of the bridge near the Armstrong Tunnel.

One Steelers source said Roethlisberger was in surgery for a broken jaw, an injury that can take approximately seven weeks to heal. The Steelers season starts in 12 weeks.

Steelers president Art Rooney II released a statement this afternoon.

"On behalf of everyone within the Steelers organization, I want to express my concern for Ben Roethlisberger. I am sure Ben knows that we are praying for his complete recovery. So far, we have been encouraged by the early reports from the medical team at Mercy Hospital."

Rooney's statement indicated that the Steelers public relations staff would pass along further updates as they become available.

Retired halfback Jerome Bettis, in California today, was keeping in touch with some people in the organization and said the reports he's received are that Roethlisberger will be fine.

"First, it's good to see he's not in bad shape, as a friend, and to make sure he's OK," said Bettis. "Another good thing is it is minor enough that it shouldn't affect him on the field this fall."

Steelers' spokesman David Lockett would only confirm that Roethlisberger was involved in the accident and is being treated at Mercy Hospital.

An eyewitness said she saw a motorcycle headed outbound on Second Avenue as a car was coming inbound. The car, a Chrysler New Yorker with Maine plates, made a left turn toward the bridge in front of the cyclist. The motorcycle hit the car and the operator flew into the windshield and then hit the ground.

The witness said she went to the aid of the motorcyclist and asked his name. He said it was "Ben" and tried to get up, but she told him to stay still.

The victim was bleeding heavily from a head injury, and blood pooled on the pavement. The witness said he was not wearing a helmet.

The entire front end of the motorcycle, was destroyed. The car sustained damage on the passenger side door.

Sandra Ford, a Homewood writer and artist, was waiting for the bus on 10th Street about 11 a.m. She saw a rugged-looking white man with curly hair on his motorcycle driving along the avenue heading toward the 10th street bridge.

In the opposite direction, the Chrysler was approaching and preparing to make the turn.

"I kept waiting for the motorcyclist to slow down," she said. "He never stopped and just plowed into the car."

She said she believes Roethlisberger, who wasn't speeding, but going at a pretty good clip, never saw the car. "He had to be looking somewhere else, he just sailed across the intersection."

Allan Detrich, Block News Alliance

Ben Roethlisberger's mother, Brenda Roethlisberger, hurriedly throws her suitcase into her car today so she can travel to get to Pittsburgh.

Click photo for larger image.

It was a crazy scene, said Ford, still shaken from the accident two hours after it happened. At the time of the accident, she did not know it was the Steeler's quarterback. She found out when she got home and saw the TV news.

Ford, said that she heard a crunching sounds and saw Roethlisberger fly from his motorcycle, which left a pretty big dent in the car, said Ms. Ford.

Afterward, Roethlisberger tumbled off the car and lay still in the street. "He lay so still, I thought he had died."

About 11:23, Ford began taking notes and talking to the driver of the car.

By this time, the driver had gotten from the car and asked Roethliesberger to remain still, he was trying to move.

"His face was all bloody. I saw blood pooling under his head."

Pittsburgh Police spokeswoman Tammy Ewin said that the department would issue a release in regards to the accident specifics around 3 p.m. today, but would not have information on Roethlisberger's condition. Ewin said that information would come from Steelers officials.

Police commander Thomas Stangrecki said that an accident reconstruction team would investigate the cause of the accident.

Ewen also stressed that accident investigations can take "weeks, not hours" to complete.

Roethlisberger has been known to refuse to wear a helmet when operating his cycle.

Steelers coach Bill Cowher addressed the issue with Roethlisberger in May 2005 after Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow's accident riding a Suzuki GSX-R750 in suburban Cleveland. Winslow hit a curb in a parking lot and was ejected from his bike, injuring his knee.

"It's one of those things, where he talked about being a risk-taker and I'm not really a risk-taker, I'm pretty conservative and laid back," Roethlisberger told the Post-Gazette. "So the big thing is just be careful and that's what we do. I think every person that rides is careful. That's the biggest thing, I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we never ride alone we always ride in a group of people, and I think that makes it more safe."

Winslow's contract forbade him from riding a motorcycle, Roethlisberger's contract does not prohibit him from riding motorcycles, even helmetless. The standard NFL contract prohibits risky behavior, but what constitutes risky behavior? Pennsylvania repealed its mandatory helmet law in 2003.

"I think that's my own discretion," Roethlisberger said about not wearing a helmet when he rides. "Obviously, Pennsylvania doesn't think people need to."

During an interview last year, Steelers Hall-of-Fame quarterback Terry Bradshaw offered one piece of advice for Roethlisberger about his motorcycle.

"Ride it when you retire. That's the way I feel. Those things are dangerous."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

I know Bettis is a beloved fan favorite, but c'mon, there is no way I am going to believe anything that comes from him, rather than official reports...... Unless it's confirmed by Bruschi, of course. (Is that joke too old yet?)

Well, he and Ben are close friends, and I'm sure he is able to get reports from those closer to the situation than most.

Didn't bother to read if it's been posted but:

According to sources close to CBS SportsLine.com, Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger underwent surgery June 12 on his head, face and knee following a motorcycle accident in Pittsburgh. He reportedly broke his jaw, suffered a nine-inch gash in his head, broke his sinus cavity and has a knee injury. Eyewitnesses say Big Ben flew over his handlebars and hit his head on the windshield of a car. He was not wearing a helmet and was bleeding from his head. He was conscious when he went to the hospital and knew he was going to undergo surgery.

where have I heard that joke....

"When I read the title, I thought it meant he was in an accident at McDonalds..."

Guess when the thread is 10 pages deep, you just roll the dice instead of reading every post :D

Plus I added a Fonzie reference :D

The way my last three days have gone, I full expect to be bitten in the nuts by a Rotweiler on my walk from the office to the hotel......... :D

I didnt realize that Squeegibo accompanied you on this trip... :D

Whatever. Jokes when a guy is badly injured, and you don't know the outcome, regardless of your fan affiliation is in bad taste.

It appears Ben is going to be o.k., at least he isn't in a life threatening situation, once that is confirmed, let the jokes fly if you feel the need.

As Cramer said "Let the expletives fly"