[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big Ben in mc accident

Front Row

Doesn't sound like the kid's dying so I'm glad about that.

Here's my question. If you make Terry Bradshaw look smart, shouldn't you always have a helmet on, even if you are sleeping?

Football wise, I agree with muck. I don't see how he will be able to maintain adequated body weight to be ready week 1.

I'm also of the opinion that when all is said and done, the Steelers and Ben will play it safe, and we won't see him in the early part of the season.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also of the opinion that when all is said and done, the Steelers and Ben will play it safe, and we won't see him in the early part of the season.

Play it safe? In the month of June, he'll lose 25 lbs easy...not to mention his strength.

I don't think it's a matter of "being safe" ... I don't think he will be able to physically do his job (i.e., Batch will be a better QB simply because he has his strength and conditioning about him) for several months.

never underestimate the media's ability to print/say anything to try and be the one that gets you the story first (think miners being rescued ...). it is going to take some time to fully understand the implications of all of these injuries, despite the vultures need to know everything immediately. take a deep breath, be glad that it appears the guy is going to come out of this OK ... we have no idea what future tests will reveal, nor do we understand the longer term implications of all of these injuries.

You guys think Ben will get new teeth or go hockey style :D

As he id the QB, he will likely get new teeth so the team can understand what he saying.

As Menudo alluded to, if he was in any other position, he may just let it go.

I would imagine that his knees are too swollen (insert gay jokes here) for the doctors to even do an MRI right now. The full extent of his injuries are probably days away.

Kirwan on Sirius, mentioned that an MRI for his knees, is scheduled for later today.

Regardless of what is being said right now and whether his knees are ok, bad, good or whatever, I think muck's point about the broken jaw and lack of food is going to be key in the early stages. Do you get the same calories and protein from a steak and potato shake that you get from eating the solid form?

Losing teeth would flat out suck...I know he has other things to worry about, but that nasty...

so will he change his jersey to Toothlessberger now?

Joke has already been used........... :D

It's been pretty clear thus far that Ben doesn't play very safe. :D

Didn't read to see if been posted or not,

KDKA.com reports Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger (head, knee) apparently does not possess a Pennsylvania motorcycle license. Sources say Roethlisberger does have a license to operate a car. City accident investigators are not commenting, but a confidential source told KDKA that a review of motor vehicle record in Harrisburg, Pa., shows he has never had a Pennsylvania motorcycle license. The source said he had a learner's permit that allowed him to ride a motorcycle, but the permit expired March 29.

KDKA.com reports Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger (head, knee) apparently does not possess a Pennsylvania motorcycle license. Sources say Roethlisberger does have a license to operate a car. City accident investigators are not commenting, but a confidential source told KDKA that a review of motor vehicle record in Harrisburg, Pa., shows he has never had a Pennsylvania motorcycle license. The source said he had a learner's permit that allowed him to ride a motorcycle, but the permit expired March 29.

Maybe the state won't let him ride again. Pittsburgh fans rejoice.

From ProFootballTalk

BIG BEN WILL BE READY FOR FINS

According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will be able to play in the 2006 regular season opener on September 7 against the Miami Dolphins.

Citing unnamed sources, Bouchette reports that the injuries are confined to Roethlisberger's face, and that published reports of potentially serious knee and shoulder injuries were incorrect.

In short, Ben is one lucky bastard. Dumb as a twice-baked potato, but lucky nevertheless.

Bouchette also reports that the surgery required seven hours due in part to efforts by surgeons to ensure a faster recovery time. Roethlisberger is expected to miss the preseason opener, but he will be able to participate in training camp.

TECHNICALLY, LAW REQUIRED BEN TO WEAR HELMET?

In light of the KDKA-TV report that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger did not have a license to operate a motorcycle, it appears that the Pennsylvania law exempting certain motorcyclists from wearing a helmet did not apply to Big Ben.

Which means that, under the law, he should have had a helmet on.

As it's written, the relevant Pennsylvania statute requires riders to wear protective gear, including a helmet. But the law creates an exception for the following categories of persons: (1) a person over the age of 21 who has been licensed to operate a motorcycle for at least two years; or (2) a person over the age of 21 who has completed an approved a motorcycle rider safety course.

If Roethlisberger had not completed an motorcycle rider safety course, he did not qualify for the exemption, since it appears that he has not held a license to operate a motorcycle for the requisite two years.

Thanks to the reader who pointed this out to us -- and thanks to everyone who has been e-mailing to us new information regarding this story.

BIG BEN HAD NO MOTORCYCLE LICENSE

KDKA-TV in Pittsburgh reports that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has no license to operate a motorcycle.

Per an unnamed source, KDKA reports that Roethlisberger never took the written or the practical exam necessary for the issuance of a license. Instead, he had a learner's permit that expired on March 29, 2006.

What does it mean? Nothing at all, regarding his injuries and his recovery therefrom. But depending on the manner in which Pennsylvania statutes and case law apply to such matters, Big Ben might be shut out when the time comes to collect insurance money from the driver of the car involved in the accident (if, in the end, she is found to be in any way at fault).

In theory, Roethlisberger could make a valid legal claim against the other driver, if as it appears she made a left turn against oncoming traffic without seeing his motorcycle approaching the intersection. And once her limits of liability insurance are exhausted, Ben could then collect additional money from his own insurance company via the so-called "underinsured motorist" clause.

For example, if the other driver has only $50,000 in bodily injury coverage but the medical bills and the pain and suffering are ultimately determined to be $1 million, Roethlisberger has the right to recover the difference from his insurance carrier -- if he bought up to $1 million in UIM coverage.

But not having a valid license could impact his ability to recover anything. Heck, it's also possible that Ben and his "bad stuff happens to other people, not me" gene didn't even bother to buy UIM coverage on the bike that had been given to him by Suzuki (if indeed he even bought insurance of any kind on it).

Though Roethlisberger presumably has the wherewithal to cover his own medical bills, it could be that the same stupidity that put him on the back of a crotch rocket without a helmet also has put him in a position where any legal rights he might have had against the person who might be found to have caused the accident are rattling in a gutter with his teefs.

From ProFootballTalk

BIG BEN WILL BE READY FOR FINS

According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will be able to play in the 2006 regular season opener on September 7 against the Miami Dolphins.

Citing unnamed sources, Bouchette reports that the injuries are confined to Roethlisberger's face, and that published reports of potentially serious knee and shoulder injuries were incorrect.

In short, Ben is one lucky bastard. Dumb as a twice-baked potato, but lucky nevertheless.

Bouchette also reports that the surgery required seven hours due in part to efforts by surgeons to ensure a faster recovery time. Roethlisberger is expected to miss the preseason opener, but he will be able to participate in training camp.

TECHNICALLY, LAW REQUIRED BEN TO WEAR HELMET?

In light of the KDKA-TV report that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger did not have a license to operate a motorcycle, it appears that the Pennsylvania law exempting certain motorcyclists from wearing a helmet did not apply to Big Ben.

Which means that, under the law, he should have had a helmet on.

As it's written, the relevant Pennsylvania statute requires riders to wear protective gear, including a helmet. But the law creates an exception for the following categories of persons: (1) a person over the age of 21 who has been licensed to operate a motorcycle for at least two years; or (2) a person over the age of 21 who has completed an approved a motorcycle rider safety course.

If Roethlisberger had not completed an motorcycle rider safety course, he did not qualify for the exemption, since it appears that he has not held a license to operate a motorcycle for the requisite two years.

Thanks to the reader who pointed this out to us -- and thanks to everyone who has been e-mailing to us new information regarding this story.

BIG BEN HAD NO MOTORCYCLE LICENSE

KDKA-TV in Pittsburgh reports that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has no license to operate a motorcycle.

Per an unnamed source, KDKA reports that Roethlisberger never took the written or the practical exam necessary for the issuance of a license. Instead, he had a learner's permit that expired on March 29, 2006.

What does it mean? Nothing at all, regarding his injuries and his recovery therefrom. But depending on the manner in which Pennsylvania statutes and case law apply to such matters, Big Ben might be shut out when the time comes to collect insurance money from the driver of the car involved in the accident (if, in the end, she is found to be in any way at fault).

In theory, Roethlisberger could make a valid legal claim against the other driver, if as it appears she made a left turn against oncoming traffic without seeing his motorcycle approaching the intersection. And once her limits of liability insurance are exhausted, Ben could then collect additional money from his own insurance company via the so-called "underinsured motorist" clause.

For example, if the other driver has only $50,000 in bodily injury coverage but the medical bills and the pain and suffering are ultimately determined to be $1 million, Roethlisberger has the right to recover the difference from his insurance carrier -- if he bought up to $1 million in UIM coverage.

But not having a valid license could impact his ability to recover anything. Heck, it's also possible that Ben and his "bad stuff happens to other people, not me" gene didn't even bother to buy UIM coverage on the bike that had been given to him by Suzuki (if indeed he even bought insurance of any kind on it).

Though Roethlisberger presumably has the wherewithal to cover his own medical bills, it could be that the same stupidity that put him on the back of a crotch rocket without a helmet also has put him in a position where any legal rights he might have had against the person who might be found to have caused the accident are rattling in a gutter with his teefs.

Which parts did you add to the official writing? If "teefs" is in the paper, I will subscribe to it despite living near Cleveland. :D

There goes the experienced rider theory, he didn't even have a license, by law he had to wear a helmet. He took no courses in riding , he just got a permit, dumb!

well the thread IS 19 pages... :D

About 5 of them consist of jokes similar to the one that you made...... :D

Edited by Menudo

Yet Roth was clearly an, at least somewhat, experienced rider who had an accident regardless of the fact that he was being a cautious "young rider on a crotch rocket". It's like that commercial with the girl who gets out of her car with her keys between her knuckles for protection, watches her surroundings, locks up her apartment behind her then lights up a cigarette when she gets home. My point was that you can be as "safe" as you want to be riding any bike and from what we've been told Ben was a cautious rider, but all that goes out the window(no pun intended) when someone pulls out in front of you. Again, it's not the type of bike that's unsafe, it's the rider. To not wear a helmet should definately be the riders decision, but like the smoker chick, it's going to catch up with you one day if you don't.

There goes the experienced rider theory, he didn't even have a license, by law he had to wear a helmet. He took no courses in riding , he just got a permit, dumb!

Regardless my point still remains the same. That wasn't what I was trying to argue. It's silly to imply that one bike is more dangerous than another. They ALL go fast, none of them have any safety device built into them, none of them have any kind of outer protection. It's all about the rider and in many cases his or her decision to wear a helmet. He wasn't any more likely to have this accident on the bike that he was riding than on a cruiser. He obviously wasn't screaming down the street doing 150. :D

Edited by rajncajn

Regardless my point still remains the same. That wasn't what I was trying to argue. It's silly to imply that one bike is more dangerous than another. They ALL go fast, none of them have any safety device built into them, none of them have any kind of outer protection. It's all about the rider and in many cases his or her decision to wear a helmet. He wasn't any more likely to have this accident on the bike that he was riding than on a cruiser. He obviously wasn't screaming down the street doing 150. :D

I agree, he should have had the helmet on, even more so that he was an inexperienced rider on a sport bike.

I guarantee he is saying to himself, that he never even saw the car. he wasn't paying attention, no respect for the machine and no experience caused this accident, along with the dumb broad.