[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big Ben in mc accident

Front Row

KDKA-TV in Pittsburgh reports that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has no license to operate a motorcycle.

Per an unnamed source, KDKA reports that Roethlisberger never took the written or the practical exam necessary for the issuance of a license. Instead, he had a learner's permit that expired on March 29, 2006.

What does it mean? Nothing at all, regarding his injuries and his recovery therefrom. But depending on the manner in which Pennsylvania statutes and case law apply to such matters, Big Ben might be shut out when the time comes to collect insurance money from the driver of the car involved in the accident (if, in the end, she is found to be in any way at fault).

Insult to injury - if he isn't at fault, not only can't he recover medical expenses but he will most likely get a ticket for driving without a proper license.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does it mean? Nothing at all, regarding his injuries and his recovery therefrom. But depending on the manner in which Pennsylvania statutes and case law apply to such matters, Big Ben might be shut out when the time comes to collect insurance money from the driver of the car involved in the accident (if, in the end, she is found to be in any way at fault).

In theory, Roethlisberger could make a valid legal claim against the other driver, if as it appears she made a left turn against oncoming traffic without seeing his motorcycle approaching the intersection. And once her limits of liability insurance are exhausted, Ben could then collect additional money from his own insurance company via the so-called "underinsured motorist" clause.

For example, if the other driver has only $50,000 in bodily injury coverage but the medical bills and the pain and suffering are ultimately determined to be $1 million, Roethlisberger has the right to recover the difference from his insurance carrier -- if he bought up to $1 million in UIM coverage.

But not having a valid license could impact his ability to recover anything. Heck, it's also possible that Ben and his "bad stuff happens to other people, not me" gene didn't even bother to buy UIM coverage on the bike that had been given to him by Suzuki (if indeed he even bought insurance of any kind on it).

The fact that he didn't have his license would not preclude him from recovering from the driver of the other car if she is more than 50% at fault.

The fact that he didn't have his license would not preclude him from recovering from the driver of the other car if she is more than 50% at fault.

But could the fact that by law he was not exempt from wearing a helmet have an impact on that or on the ammount that could be recovered?

Edited by max

i still say its a miracle he even survived.. not too many people live after a motorcycle accident where they go head first over the handle bars into a windshield.. im surprised he didnt go through it completely, he carries a lot of weight.. that must have been one strong windshield.

Driving to and from work I didn't see a single motorcycle rider without a helmet for a change. If only it will last.

Most certainly most are wearing the helmets today. I know this has opened a bunch of eyes here in our city.

i still say its a miracle he even survived.. not too many people live after a motorcycle accident where they go head first over the handle bars into a windshield.. im surprised he didnt go through it completely, he carries a lot of weight.. that must have been one strong windshield.

I don't know about all that....his speed was probaly relatively low and the car was probably mainly an obstacle. It doesn't take too much mass and speed to flip someone over their handle bars 5 feet into a windshield and receive substantial bodily damage while doing a faceplant. I'm just glad the guy seems to be okay.

Actually, on the news last night they were saying that his right shoulder and elbow are what hit the windshield, and that his head actually struck the roof of the car right above the right top corner of the windshield. There was a sizable dent there, so it appears that he would have to have been traveling at a decent speed.... I don't know about a miracle, but he is damn lucky as it could easily have been much worse (If it was me I would be dead, I am sure of it)

I love Ben, but gotta say.... pretty stupid, hopefully this will smarten him up

Edited by Pigskin Junkie

If he continues to ride without a helmet in the future, he's on the all time Crazy Little Thing Called Love list....and if he continues to ride in the future, he's on the temporary tool list.

:D

Crazy Little Thing Called Love = D00sh.

Edited by gilthorp

Actually, on the news last night they were saying that his right shoulder and elbow are what hit the windshield, and that his head actually struck the roof of the car right above the right top corner of the windshield. There was a sizable dent there, so it appears that he would have to have been traveling at a decent speed.... I don't know about a miracle, but he is damn lucky as it could easily have been much worse (If it was me I would be dead, I am sure of it)

I love Ben, but gotta say.... pretty stupid, hopefully this will smarten him up

theres a lot of weight flying over those handlebars.. if his head went through that windshield, it could have easily been over. he is lucky as hell.

If he continues to ride without a helmet in the future, he's on the all time Crazy Little Thing Called Love list....and if he continues to ride in the future, he's on the temporary tool list.

:D

Crazy Little Thing Called Love = D00sh.

I am anxious to hear what his take on this. Will he stop riding altogether until his career is over ? Will he continue to ride, but, with a helmet ? Will he say it was just an accident that could have happened to anyone and continue to be stupid and stubborn ?

Maybe....saying it's a miracle.....well.....

maaaaaaybe not a miracle.. people have survived worse accidents than that.. the thing thats stands out at me is that his head didnt go straight through the windshield. with all that weight going forward and the decent speed he was going at.. from what it sounds like he had to be going at least a minimum of 20 mph.

But could the fact that by law he was not exempt from wearing a helmet have an impact on that or on the ammount that could be recovered?

If he were to sue, the I'm sure the defendant would raise contributory negligence, and I'd bet that a jury would find that he was at least partially at fault for the injuries he suffered. Under PA law, if he's less than 50% at fault, his damages are reduced by the percentage of his fault. (E.g., if his damages are $100 and he was 25% at fault, he'd get $75). But, if his injuries are more his own fault than hers, he gets nothing. (I think that is also true if it's exactly 50-50).

Insult to injury - if he isn't at fault, not only can't he recover medical expenses but he will most likely get a ticket for driving without a proper license.

Do you think that the cops are actually going to ticket him after he messed himself up so badly?