[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Court date tomorrow

KevinL

I'd also like to add...divorce is tough enough on children. I know having gone through it twice with my Dad/Mom/Stepmom. You probably already know this, but you must keep your children as separated from your problems with your ex as possible. It tends to give the impression that you are trying to get them to take sides and will only push them away. The best thing you can do is to do your best to support them as much as possible despite the additional distance between you.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck KL, I hope it works out for the best. I have to deal with alot of this stuff too and I have to go to court in downtown Detroit, and believe me nothing that is handled by Detroit is ever easy :D

My positive thoughts are with you and the kids :D

I feel very lucky that although my parents were divorced from age 3... I never had to see them go to court against each other, but of course, we had different problems.

Good luck, and I hope you all find an amicable solution that doesn't alienate either parent.

Good luck bro, good vibes are emanating. Prayers are that it works out for the kids.

Unfortunately for you, you have a big disadvantage in being a dad rather than a mom. Thats just the way our system seems to work. If things go south, maybe you could move half way and make it easier to spend time together :D

In any event, it is very important that you remain a mainstay in their lives. :D

Obviously, your wife moving presents a significant change in the shared parenting plan to the point it will no longer be possible to maintain. A moving parent cannot simply move away, even if s/he is primary residential parent because s/he wants to without the permission of the other parent. I know that in florida, the parent who is moving has to demonstrate that it is in the child's best interests to do so. In your case, your wife has to demonstrate the increased benefits (if you will) of moving the children to a new home, new school district, and in such a manner that it will afford them less time with their father. In addition, if you have real evidence that she has said that you will not be able to have visitation with the children during the week, make sure you lawyer has it. In determining custody, a parent who will make it easier for the other parent to have access to the children is looked upon more favorably.

You certainly need a good attorney who specializes in family law. You may also need to have a child custody evaluation conducted.

Kevin, my brother. :D

I'll be thinking about you guys all day tomorrow! It's hard for me to fathom that ANY judge would take away more shared time from such a great Dad. I really admire how your all have made this HUGH, blended family work so well. Amazing. :D

Remember....stay calm.......cool headed and think positive thoughts.

All the prayers and good vibes we can conjure up over here are coming your way. :D

Obviously, your wife moving presents a significant change in the shared parenting plan to the point it will no longer be possible to maintain. A moving parent cannot simply move away, even if s/he is primary residential parent because s/he wants to without the permission of the other parent. I know that in florida, the parent who is moving has to demonstrate that it is in the child's best interests to do so. In your case, your wife has to demonstrate the increased benefits (if you will) of moving the children to a new home, new school district, and in such a manner that it will afford them less time with their father. In addition, if you have real evidence that she has said that you will not be able to have visitation with the children during the week, make sure you lawyer has it. In determining custody, a parent who will make it easier for the other parent to have access to the children is looked upon more favorably.

You certainly need a good attorney who specializes in family law. You may also need to have a child custody evaluation conducted.

We already have a motion / request for a guardian ad litum.

We already have a motion / request for a guardian ad litum.

guardian ad litums do not conduct child custody evals, at least not her in florida. they act as advocate for the child and can offer relevant info, but custody evals are done by psychologists who in turn, make recommendations to the Judge.

guardian ad litums do not conduct child custody evals, at least not her in florida. they act as advocate for the child and can offer relevant info, but custody evals are done by psychologists who in turn, make recommendations to the Judge.

I don't want to get into too many specifics but my case in NE OH involved a G.A.L. and Unateve is pretty much right on. They act in the best interest of the child. I believe they are paid by the County or State and it's not the best rates I hear so you have to really stay on top of him / her because it's not very lucrative to be a GAL.

Anyways, needless to say, a GAL can be a real benefit in your type of case. It helped mine but in the end it didnt' change much but at the time he was a benefit; I mean the whole thing was pretty black and white so he basically just gave his opinion on a pretty clear situation.

Same thing in regards to the psychologist. Again no specifics but PM me if you want more info.

Edited by chiefjay

I don't want to get into too many specifics but my case in NE OH involved a G.A.L. and Unateve is pretty much right on. They act in the best interest of the child. I believe they are paid by the County or State and it's not the best rates I hear so you have to really stay on top of him / her because it's not very lucrative to be a GAL.

Anyways, needless to say, a GAL can be a real benefit in your type of case. It helped mine but in the end it didnt' change much but at the time he was a benefit; I mean the whole thing was pretty black and white so he basically just gave his opinion on a pretty clear situation.

Same thing in regards to the psychologist. Again no specifics but PM me if you want more info.

I don't want to hijack this thread, Kevin certainly needs all the good vibes he can get.

But, the cynic in me looks at your first paragraph and takes that to mean I should look to bribe the GAL. I'm reasonably certain that's not whta you meant, but it could appear that is what you're saying.

It's funny, but the wife and I were talking just yesterday about how the one thing we've learned from living in the DC area is to read between the lines and look for the real meaning of what is being said. Just another example of me being conditioned by my environment.

I don't want to hijack this thread, Kevin certainly needs all the good vibes he can get.

But, the cynic in me looks at your first paragraph and takes that to mean I should look to bribe the GAL. I'm reasonably certain that's not whta you meant, but it could appear that is what you're saying.

It's funny, but the wife and I were talking just yesterday about how the one thing we've learned from living in the DC area is to read between the lines and look for the real meaning of what is being said. Just another example of me being conditioned by my environment.

LOL, no not at all but not a bad idea. :D

Anyway, I meant that he will put this case off to handle more of the lucrative work he may have. By staying on top I mean to call them / visit them as much as you need to to ensure they are doing what they need to do to get their opinion to the magistrate.

Best of luck Kevin, my heart goes out to you. It is obvious how much your kids mean to you, and I will be praying / hoping for the best for both you and your kids. God Bless.