[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

what, if any, charities do you donate to?

Azazello1313

Only charity we have fully supported for the last 30 years has been the Lupus Foundation.

Other than that, it's mostly local wherever we have lived.

Lupus

ARC

Veterans

United Way (too lazy to try and direct it specifically)

Assorted animal charities

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well that's why i specifically requested no mention of amounts, just wondering what particular causes huddlers find worthy, whether it's 50 cents or half your salary. if you find that to be bragging, so be it.. :D

'Donating' doesn't necessarily mean monetarily, either. I indicated 'in some meaningful way', because I didn't necessarily give money to all of those charities.

In the end it's about helping...how much isn't important.

'Donating' doesn't necessarily mean monetarily, either. I indicated 'in some meaningful way', because I didn't necessarily give money to all of those charities.

In the end it's about helping...how much isn't important.

Yup - I find that time is hard to give these days than money. The sad thing is that it's time that some folks need most. :D

so i was just filling out my Combined Federal Campaign slip for next year,

i allocated my 2007 automatic payroll deduction thusly:

40% - worldvision

40% - juvenile diabetes research foundation

20% - national association for music education

My CFC slip was allocated like this:

1/3 split to each of the following: Make a wish, Assistance Dogs (the name escapes me right now :D ), National Audubon Society .

I drop cash in the church kitty and donate time to local youth sports as well. As mentioned before, the donating time seems to be the hardest of all, but the personal satisfaction is also the greatest! :D

Amnesty International

and every year donate 1 week of time painting people's houses and buildings. Last year it was a Nun nearby (This lady) and this year a school with other volunteers. Small towns often need local volunteers to provide services as they don't have the resources that cities do.

Church

ARC

American Cancer Society

Susan G Komen Brest Cancer Foundation

Cystic Fibrosis Foundation

MDA

American Heart Association

Habitat for Humanity

Salvation Army

Junior League

Multiple booster clubs for local schools

Humane Society because I like 99% of dogs better than 99% of people.

AMVETS because I appreciate those that fought for our freedom.

Lots of stuff to Goodwill.

No longer give to United Way because of all the scandals. It's about the only charitable organization I purposely stay away from.

We give to:

Catholic Social Services (where we are foster parents)

Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) - An organization that provides court-appointed advocates for foster children. They are answerable to neither DFS nor the Birth Parents. THey are only for the childrens interests and report directly to judges in the cases only.

My favorite charity has always been the Make A Wish Foundation. They do stuff for terminally ill children, like having them meet their favorite athlete or movie star, etc.

+1

When I got married instead of table gifts my wife and I made a donation to make a wish in the name of a child we knew that had died of cancer. Some of our guest were so moved by the thought that after the wedding they made their own contributions in the child’s name, needless to say between our "table gifts” and what was given after the wedding it turned into quite a nice donation in memory of that child that undoubtedly helped other children’s wishes come true.

Let me chime in here. Junior Achievement is one of the best organizations I've seen. What they stand for and teach to children in K-12 is amazing. Check it out for yourself at www.ja.org! It is one of the best kept secrets (unfortunately) in the country.

Teaching kids Personal Finance, business, economics, citizenship, ethics, leadership, entrepreneurship, etc. are some of the things that schools should be doing but really don't. JA is the most effective organization in preparing our children for work!

I've got one more thing before I jump off my soapbox. Giving to United Way is crap! The United Way does not reach one child, adult, crack addict, or anyone else. They are solely there to get money to those organizations that actually do the work. If you give to an organization by designating your United Way contribution, the United Way keeps approx. 20% for doing nothing.

Give directly to the organization that you believe in! It's that simple.

Now I'm done.

Edited by NAUgrad

Let me chime in here. Junior Achievement is one of the best organizations I've seen. What they stand for and teach to children in K-12 is amazing. Check it out for yourself at www.ja.org! It is one of the best kept secrets (unfortunately) in the country.

Teaching kids Personal Finance, business, economics, citizenship, ethics, leadership, entrepreneurship, etc. are some of the things that schools should be doing but really don't. JA is the most effective organization in preparing our children for work!

I've got one more thing before I jump off my soapbox. Giving to United Way is crap! The United Way does not reach one child, adult, crack adict, or anyone else. They are solely there to get money to those organizations that actually do the work. If you give to an organization by designating your United Way contribution, the United Way keeps approx. 20% for doing nothing.

Give directly to the organization that you believe in! It's that simple.

Now I'm done.

Taught eighth graders for JA for a semester between college and law school in St Thomas projects, New Orleans. Incredible experience and they do a lot more than people think given the debutante/social climber organization sort of reputation it has.

Edited by skins

United Way :D

When I give a dollar only 30 cents actually goes toward somebody that needs it.

Furthermore I want to have control over where my money goes. While United Way allows you to "direct your funds toward a specific charity" that is not how it works in reality. Each United Way Charity has a budgeted amount which they get whether or not you direct funds to them. The fact that you specifically direct funds to that charity does NOT increase their budget.

Then companies put tons of pressure on employees to contribute their fair share to United Way so the company can write a big check to United Way and give the appearance of a caring company.

:D