[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is your favorite way to assign draft slots?

DMD

Your draft  

89 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite method to award redraft slots?

• Random number generator
    • Slips of paper drawn from a hat
    • Pulling playing cards
    • Based on previous season standings
    • Other (explain)
  2. 2. When you do like to know your draft slot?

• As far in advance as I can
    • At least a week before the draft
    • Not until right before the draft starts

How do you like to get your draft slots awarded in a redraft league? Gotta be a million ways and I wondered what creative methods people use.

Here is one creative way a league does theirs.

I usually prefer to know as far in advance as I can so I can plan, but live local leagues will often do it at their actual drafts. In my local, we usually had a predraft lunch to go over rule changes, etc.. and award the spots via the old paper slips in a hat route.

In a local, it is always fun to be all together when the #1 is awarded but that sometimes means waiting until the draft is about to happen.

In our local with mostly coaches/teachers we draw numbers the first day of teacher's meetings (this Friday :D ). You cannot draw a slip until you pay your entry fee to the commissioner Then for the rest of the meetings, instead of paying attention to all the "important" stuff the administrators are telling us, we're doing mock drafts, passing notes, whispering, bitching, etc., in general acting like our students. But it makes the first day of school something to look forward to.

Our draft for that league has traditionally been Labor Day morning so it gives us about three weeks to prepare.

How do you like to get your draft slots awarded in a redraft league? Gotta be a million ways and I wondered what creative methods people use.

Here is one creative way a league does theirs.

I usually prefer to know as far in advance as I can so I can plan, but live local leagues will often do it at their actual drafts. In my local, we usually had a predraft lunch to go over rule changes, etc.. and award the spots via the old paper slips in a hat route.

In a local, it is always fun to be all together when the #1 is awarded but that sometimes means waiting until the draft is about to happen.

We draw playing cards. Person who draws the ace picks which slot he wants. Then the deuce picks his slot, etc. It gives the owners a little choice on where they draft, but still has a "luck of the draw" aspect too.

I know of one league that holds a poker tournament. Whatever place you finish, that's your draft slot. Very creative.

We do a double blind drawing with playing cards. I like to know in advance but at the same time, it's kinda fun to find out then and there and everyone be ready at the same time. For my local this year, since we are not doing it live, I will let them know about a week in advance.

We draw playing cards. Person who draws the ace picks which slot he wants. Then the deuce picks his slot, etc. It gives the owners a little choice on where they draft, but still has a "luck of the draw" aspect too.

I know of one league that holds a poker tournament. Whatever place you finish, that's your draft slot. Very creative.

I like that :D

In my local we select our draft order when we hold our "winter meetings" which takes place on day 1 of the NFL draft. Each team selects their draft slot based on reverse order of finish. The team that wins the Beer Biatch crown gets to select their draft slot, and so on until the Champion is left with the last remaining draft slot.

We always did the reverse order of finish but some guys thought this was unfair as we aren't a true keeper league so instead of doing the hat/cards/etc... thing we thought this would be a fun twist.

Dicks on the bar is always a valid method.

You get used to drafting last every year after a while... :D

At first I was thrilled when it was suggested that the biggest dick gets to draft first, then I realized my league mates where talking anatomically, not personality trait-wise.

Random generator or cards or something like that.... but chose "other" because I don't like it when THOSE numbers determine the actual order. I like the order produced to be the order of which owners choose their draft slot. For example, the person who gets the highest roll, card, etc. gets the first choice of what pick he wants, not necessarily the #1 pick.

in the past we did it by taking numbers out of a hat. but 1 year one owner suspected another of shenanigans. he though he took 2 papers, and kept the better one. so we moved to the draft randomizer. and we know our draft pick 60 days before the draft.

I would like to have a poker tourney instead. I have been trying for about 2 years to get the league on board with it.

I would like to have a poker tourney instead. I have been trying for about 2 years to get the league on board with it.

Now that is a great idea! I don't know if I'd ever be able to get that accomplished, but I love the idea of a poker tournament with your FF draft slot as the stakes.

Evolved to this about the 10th year of 23 year league. Instead of the draft order being created from the inverse finish from the preivious year, we came up with an alternative. We base the order on the inverse of who made out the best financially. No big deal there, as the order wouldn't change much. More importantly though, let's say you had the 1st seat, by assignment. Well, let's say in '07, you might have handicapped that you wouldn't mind having the leftover of the Big 3, and prefer to sit 3rd. Anyway, that reverse order gets their choice of seat.

Well, that is how we do it now around the way.

My bad, ours is the same as Men in Tights.

Edited by Ramhock

We do a hybrid of 2 of the above choices... slips of paper drawn and number of slips of paper based on previous year's standings. Basically how the NBA does its lottery.

The odds that the best team from the previous year gets a high pick is VERY low. Every once in a while we get a middle of the pack team that ends up with a high pick but nothing outrageous.

It's fair and easy enough.

In another IDP dynasty league, it's based on the previous year's standings.

Edited by kingfish247

For the second half of the poll, there should be a "Puddy" option. I don't really care how well in advance I know.

For one of my local leagues we determine draft slots based on season finish, but not exactly based on the standings.

12 team league, the top 6 make the playoffs. The 2 teams that lose in round one get picks 7-8, based on their finish. Then, the top 4 teams are seeded by how they finish in the championship draw. First place gets the last pick and 4th place gets the 9th pick.

The bottom 6 teams also play in a tournament. They are playing for the right to get the first pick. The worst 2 teams get the bye, and so they can draft no worse than 3rd and 4th. The 2 teams losing in the first week of the playoffs pick 5th and 6th based on their league finish, with the worse team getting the better pick. Then the 4 teams remaining get their picks based on the order of finish, with the winner getting the first pick and the team losing that consolation game getting the 4th pick.

We do this so encourage owners from giving up as the season goes on. This way they always have something to play for and some reason to try and improve their team.

I should note that this league requires teams to keep 2 players, and not more than one player per position. So, while getting the first pick in the draft does not get you LT, it still nets you your choice of the best RBs available. This year the person with the top pick is going to get their choice of (Reggie Bush/Brian Westbrook), (R Brown/W Parker), (L Johnson, R Johnson), (J Addai/F Gore), etc. One of each of those pairs has to be released into the draft.

Random generator or cards or something like that.... but chose "other" because I don't like it when THOSE numbers determine the actual order. I like the order produced to be the order of which owners choose their draft slot. For example, the person who gets the highest roll, card, etc. gets the first choice of what pick he wants, not necessarily the #1 pick.

tried that, got shot down...

THis is what I like to do. Pull cards or use an online number generator (one of the dice roll sites, etc.) to determine the order that the owners get to choose their draft slot. It combines the luck of the draw part of the draft with the strategy of choosing where to pick.

In our local, we always draw numbers from a hat. Then the owners choose their draft spot in that order. As far as knowing before the draft, I really don't care. On the one hand, knowing a while before the draft gives you an chance to make a plan. Unfortunately sometimes we get so caught up in the plan sometimes we draft who we planned on picking instead of who we should have picked.

In our local, we always draw numbers from a hat. Then the owners choose their draft spot in that order. As far as knowing before the draft, I really don't care. On the one hand, knowing a while before the draft gives you an chance to make a plan. Unfortunately sometimes we get so caught up in the plan sometimes we draft who we planned on picking instead of who we should have picked.

Very true... perhaps it's better to know far in advance in a keeper/dynasty but maybe 1-2 weeks in advance for a normal re-draft. Don't want to overthink things.

Other:

We spread the money out quite a bit in our league, so we use the draft as another way to collect money. Worst record from last year receives 15 poker chips assigned with numbers. Second to last record receives 14 of these chips, and has the option to buy a 15th....this goes on with each of the team's getting less and less chips until you come to the champ.

Winner of the league last year receives one poker chip, and has the option of buying 14 more.

Once all the chips are in the bag, a random selection takes place.

When someone is selected, they must choose exactly where they are drafting, it's not an automatic slotting.

Used to pick names out of a hat but since we do auction lg now, doesn't matter much and they wanted to do it worst/first, so we do that.

I wouldn't be in a (non auction) league where I didn't know my slot at least a week or 2 in advance.

At first I was thrilled when it was suggested that the biggest dick gets to draft first, then I realized my league mates where talking anatomically, not personality trait-wise.

Any group of guys willing to whip out their stuff in front of each other is a group I prefer to be as far away from as possible.