[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cassel Franchised

T-Scorp

If he is franchised, teams can't get him, period, without completing a trade with the Pats.

I think they would give him up for a 1st and a player, or a 1st and 2nd or 3rd. Teams aren't going to give away their entire future for a guy with so many doubts as to what kind of player he would be outside of New England.

Edited by Seahawks21

If he is franchised, teams can't get him, period, without completing a trade with the Pats.

I think they would give him up for a 1st and a player, or a 1st and 2nd or 3rd. Teams aren't going to give away their entire future for a guy with so many doubts as to what kind of player he would be outside of New England.

+1 exactly what i was thinking

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that was only if he is a restricted free agent.

Opie is correct. They would get 2 firsts if they don't match a higher offer. RFA's have compensation levels, but usually to lower compensations.

Teams can slap a franchise tag just to get something in return in a trade to who gives him a high offer, such as the case of the Packers placing the franchise tag on Corey Williams last year, then trading him to Cleveland for a second-round pick.

Opie is correct. They would get 2 firsts if they don't match a higher offer. RFA's have compensation levels, but usually to lower compensations.

Teams can slap a franchise tag just to get something in return in a trade to who gives him a high offer, such as the case of the Packers placing the franchise tag on Corey Williams last year, then trading him to Cleveland for a second-round pick.

thanks for the correction. Ouch! I don't usually mess that stuff up. How could anyone in Seattle not know the franchise rules!?!? I knew that at one point. What I get for openin' my yapper.

Nobody has ever actually traded the two first-rounders though right??

Just another piece I saw on Cassel-

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...tml?eref=si_nfl

Fear Cassel Is A One-Year Wonder

Today, 03:45 PM

There is some fear amongst some in the NFL that Patriots QB Matt Cassel is a one-year wonder. "He didn't play much in college...So you're making your judgments solely off one year," said one NFL personnel director. "That's fine, but you don't know how he will respond to the different looks that he will face next year after defensive coordinators have spent an offseason breaking down his strengths and weaknesses."

Edited by irish

id love to be a fly on the wall when listening to scott pioli talk about matt cassel around the kc offices...id really like to know what his opinion is

matt to kc for tony and a 3rd??? id have to think this would be a pretty good deal....theyd get matt to sign a deal thatd probably be less than what theyd pay stafford...and theyd still get to keep that 3rd pick and get an impact guy.....i think the jury is still out on matt cassel....but at least kc would be getting a guy who was well coached and has a clue....i think it beats rolling the dice on an inconsistent stafford

id love to be a fly on the wall when listening to scott pioli talk about matt cassel around the kc offices...id really like to know what his opinion is

matt to kc for tony and a 3rd??? id have to think this would be a pretty good deal....theyd get matt to sign a deal thatd probably be less than what theyd pay stafford...and theyd still get to keep that 3rd pick and get an impact guy.....i think the jury is still out on matt cassel....but at least kc would be getting a guy who was well coached and has a clue....i think it beats rolling the dice on an inconsistent stafford

Wouldn't the Pats be more interested in Larry Johnson, a relatively young back, than a rapidly aging (but still damn good) Gonzo?

Edit: LJ is 29 and Gonzo will be 33 this month. I thought they were further apart in age than that...

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

Wouldn't the Pats be more interested in Larry Johnson, a relatively young back, than a rapidly aging (but still damn good) Gonzo?

Edit: LJ is 29 and Gonzo will be 33 this month. I thought they were further apart in age than that...

believe me...LJ is a intriguing option...his running style is similar to corey dillons...and the situation is almost identical....he could thrive....but im not ready to close the door on maroney yet....and LJ would have to restructure...dunno if hes willing to do that....that being said...i think we need a reliable TE as much, if not more, than we need a back

Considering the success they have had with Sammy Morris and Antwan Smith, I would guess they would not go for a RB.

believe me...LJ is a intriguing option...his running style is similar to corey dillons...and the situation is almost identical....he could thrive....but im not ready to close the door on maroney yet....and LJ would have to restructure...dunno if hes willing to do that....that being said...i think we need a reliable TE as much, if not more, than we need a back

I'm about ready to close the door on Maroney. LJ, Lamont Jordan and Sammy Morris rotating in the same backfield? Now THAT would be a 3-headed monster!

Edited by Crazysight

thanks for the correction. Ouch! I don't usually mess that stuff up. How could anyone in Seattle not know the franchise rules!?!? I knew that at one point. What I get for openin' my yapper.

Nobody has ever actually traded the two first-rounders though right??

Seattle didn't get 2 firsts for Galloway?

New England will not part with anything with at least a first for Cassell and maybe two, and I GUARANTEE Pioli won't give up one first, let alone two, for Cassell.

I agree.

NFL.com's Adam Schefter says there is belief around the league that Cassel will stay in New England because of QB Tom Brady's knee and the compensation the Patriots would be looking for in return. Cassel's lack of playing history could lead team's to be a bit skeptical about trading for him.

I agree.

NFL.com's Adam Schefter says there is belief around the league that Cassel will stay in New England because of QB Tom Brady's knee and the compensation the Patriots would be looking for in return. Cassel's lack of playing history could lead team's to be a bit skeptical about trading for him.

I think that's what will make a trade difficult. He has too much value to the pats right now and they know he can operate in their system. Another team would be taking on a decent amount of risk in trading a lot for him. If Brady's definitely 100% in training camp, maybe that's when the Pats lower their asking price and deal him. Of course, by then it could very well be too late to get anything done.

I think that's what will make a trade difficult. He has too much value to the pats right now and they know he can operate in their system. Another team would be taking on a decent amount of risk in trading a lot for him. If Brady's definitely 100% in training camp, maybe that's when the Pats lower their asking price and deal him. Of course, by then it could very well be too late to get anything done.

Therein lies the tricky aspect. Just imagine if they can deal him now and get significant value for him while adding multiple picks and rolling the dice with Brady being ready. If the deal is there, I think they pull the trigger but I'm not sure the deal will be there.

Edited by irish

Cassel's lack of playing history could lead team's to be a bit skeptical about trading for him.

:wacko:

He has a full season as a successful NFL QB, which is a heck of a lot more than any player coming out of college can say.

Any personnel guy worth their salt understands this.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

I'm ready to close that door. Guy runs soft. He tippy-toes and won't take the 2 yard gain when it's there. Hope I never see him run for the Pat's again, and I was a HUGH fan. But he's gross to watch.

And they did set the record for most points scored in one season two years ago with Brady, Moss and Welker, did they not? With Watson as the #1 TE they managed to score a ton of points. I wouldn't exactly list reliable TE as a need.

I really think after 3 seasons of not being able to stay on the field that Maroney could very well be cut. When you look at some of the starting QB's last year, there are a lot of teams that could use Cassel. KC is an interesting situation. Pioli needs to decided of Thigpen is the future or not. With Cassel, he knows what he has. I think KC would keep Gonzo and try to deal LJ. LJ to NE is interesting. If he wants to play for a contender he will need to lower his pay and realize he is no longer "the man." I just dont know if he can be a total team guy like NE wants.