[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tipping Ettiquette

muck

Should I have put a negative number on the "additional tip" line and subtracted it from the $51.60 total?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Should I have put a negative number on the "additional tip" line and subtracted it from the $51.60 total?

• Yes, you should have put a negative number in that line
    • No, you should not have done that (but you should call the restaurant and let them know you're never coming back)
    • No, you should not have and don't call the manager, just simply don't ever go back

Springs, bravo on taking over an hour to try and respond to my post. I will not dissect your novel, as I have neither the time nor inclination. Very diligent of you, and I thank you for your time and energy to explain why you feel slighted when you only received 2 sets of tartar sauce instead of three with your fish and chips at Long John Silvers.

I also thank you for the situation regarding mozzarella sticks and the regrettably omitted ranch dressing. I cant begin to understand the horror that must have caused you.

Unfortunately, since your dining experiences seem to be limited to Denny's with an occasional foray to Outback for a special occasion, I cannot fully relate. Perhaps you either happen to get the "worst" servers ever, or maybe you happen to be a person that has unreasonable expectations for 5 star service to go along with your "tremendous twelve" at Dennys with "extra crispy bacon". You get what you pay for pal . .

So you're another Sarge - have to be snyde and belittling to those who disagree with you just to make your self feel superior. Gotcha! :wacko:

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"4.) The tip should NEVER include what tax is. Ever."

I 100% disagree. Servers have to claim their tips, therefore, I think we all should tip on the total bill, including taxes. I have never tipped based on subtotal and never will. I think that makes no sense when servers have to pay taxes on their tips. So since they do, the tip total should be based on taxes as well.

this makes no sense whatsoever :wacko::D

So you're another Sarge - have to be snyde and belittling to those who disagree with you just to make your self feel superior. Gotcha! :D

"Snyde" is spelled S-N-I-D-E, by the way . . . . . :wacko: You're welcome!

The point is that everyone has had bad experiences while dining out. It is not an exact science. When you go to a place where the average entree costs 8 bucks, and your service is not spectacular, you probably shouldnt be too surprised. If that server was better, then they would be working at a better quality restaurant where they can MAKE MORE MONEY.

A general rule of thumb (of which I am sure there are exceptions, please dont list them . .) is you should have higher expectations for service/food/atmosphere if it costs more money.

Therefore if you regularly dine at Outback or Applebee's, be sure to adjust your expectations to match what you are paying for. Hell, when I have to dine at a chain that is more modestly priced, I come in with low expectations and tip based on how they can eliminate that low expectation. I DONT come in expected to be treated like the lord of the manor and get upset when I dont receive the attention I "deserve".

IMO that is the biggest disconnect from a lot of these posts. The inability to adjust their expectations. I dont go to a gas station at 2AM and expect that the coffee will be as good as Starbucks.

hey...he's a waiter with a che guevarra avatar. he doesn't just feel superior, he is superior.

LOL, "he's a waiter?" Hilarious.

I guess that makes you a tobacco chewin', forklift driver that worships GWB and loves being bitter while sitting in your trailer by your other posts.

Or would that be a terrible misrepresentation too?

I guess that makes you a tobacco chewin', forklift driver that worships GWB and loves being bitter while sitting in your trailer by your other posts.

Nope, I think you're pretty much spot on there, Che. :wacko:

I got stiffed by THREE people last night on deliveries. Of course, the last one was to be expected... we had f'ed up his order the time before.

Crappy service, sure I can see leaving a lower tip.... but tipping ZERO on a delivery? Some people are so beyond cheap that it has to be partially stupidity.

Springs1 tax comment is so far out in left field and makes no sense at all... insert Billy Madisonlike "We are all now a little dumber for having read that."

A lot comes down to expectation.

Saturday night, out with another couple, without kids, at an upscale Los Angeles restaurant. Entrees about $50 each, sides each separate, bottle of wine, etc. Our drinks were never empty, our server was attentive, our food was well prepared and served in a timely manner. Basically, it met my expectations. Tip was in the 20% range.

Sunday night, been a long day, so go to Olive Garden, with the kids. The waitress we got was nice, but drinks were not filled promptly, and she was gone much of the time not checking on the soup/salad situation. She was clearly miffed to have us as a table as we only ordered two meals from the kids menu and were having soup and salad for our dinner. She actually was complaining (not about us that I could tell) about the section she was in with the host and another waiter and was clearly annoyed when she was given another table containing a couple and a child. Oddly enough, shortly after this, we never saw her again and a different waiter began taking care of us. No comment from her of "I'm going on break, so and so will take care of you till I return" etc. In a stark contrast, he was attentive to filling drinks, getting soup, getting noodles with no sauce for my picky eater of a son, etc. He 'saved' the meal and as such, I tipped accordingly, rather than the lower than normal tip I was going to give to the girl that obviously did not want ot be bothered with our table (too bad for her, as in the rare situation where my wife and I both just have soup and salad, I'll tip more around 40% as I know it can be a pain getting refills, etc. for a rather low bill) Went in with lower expectations, even they were not met initially

:wacko: Welcome to the tailgate Brian. :D

note:

i am surprised that not only are you guys not gaulking over the new female huddler, but are in the process of chasing her away.

She is still here:

3 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

3 Members: Big John, smithkt, Springs1

I feel most servers don't work their butt off, because I get soooo many obvious mistakes in my order, it's not funny. I remember a waitress once at a seafood restaurant, took me and my husband's orders.

she is, for the moment.

note:

i am surprised that not only are you guys not gaulking over the new female huddler, but are in the process of chasing her away.

Pics dammit!!! :wacko:

IRON MY SHIRT!

MAKE MY DINNER!!