[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bad news and a major decision

whomper

We got some terrible news yesterday which has lead to a major decision that needs to be made. My dads brother, my Uncle Louie, died yesterday suddenly from a heart attack. I was at my parents house doing some things that needed to be done when my aunt called with the bad news. He was 81 and close to my dad. Ironically he fell in his garage too a few days ago. He went to the hospital and checked out OK. He came home and a day later my aunt said he seemed off. She called their son who is a doctor and he got on the phone with my unlce. he didnt like the way my uncle sounded so he suggested they call 911 and he was going to come to their house. Before my aunt could call my uncle stood up , then fell and was gone.

I know most of you know but for those that dont my dad fell 2 weeks ago and broke his back. He had major surgery to repair the injury and has since left the hospital and is now at a rehab facility. His rehab unfortunately is not going well because his blood pressure has been high. They are trying to regulate that but it has limited him as far as how much physical therapy they can give him because he gets light headed. He has been depressed at the rehab. Sometimes when I visit him he talks a little but you can see he is sad and distant. He is going to be at the facility at least another 10 days or so.

My mom hasnt told my Dad yet and there lies the difficult decision. For starters we are not sure if my dad could be transported to the services in his condition. My mom is going to speak with the doctor who was not there yesterday. The debate is whether we should tell my dad or not. My mom is absolutely tortured over this decision. She is speaking to the Doctor today as well as her parish priest. My uncles son feels that we shouldnt tell him. His sister and mother disagree. Some have said if they cant transport him to the services than let that make the decision for you. Here is how we see this as far as reason against and reasons for telling him.

Reasons against

He will completely shut down and not rehab

This type of news will be a jolt to his heart which has been very erratic of late

He may not even be able to go even if we did tell him (this we will know before we decide to tell him)

If we tell him and he attends the services he will still have to go back to the facilty for 10 days at least which means he will be mourning his brother in a strange place where family can not be around him 24/7. We think of him at night when we have to leave and he is alone with his thoughts and not in his house and has none of us around him.

My dad is depressed and frustrated because of his injury and this will put him in a bad state where we feel he may lose all motivation to help himself and rehab

Reasons for

You give him a chance to say good bye to his brother at the services which could bring the closure he will need to accept what happened.

It is his brother and he has the right to know

As you can see it is an awful situation. I told my mom my brother and I will support her 100 % either way.

As far as my Uncle goes RIP Uncle Louie :D . He was that cursing italian uncle that was incredibly funny without even trying. His greatest line of all time was at my nieces Christening. This was 10 years ago. We are in the church and my niece, the christening baby, would not stop crying . My uncle is sitting behind me and I hear him telling my aunt that the baby is crying because she is hungry. Finally after 15 minutes of crying he yells to my sister in law. " Hey nancy..Give her the minuch (slang for breast in italian) :wacko:

Any opinions you may have would be appreciated. Thanks all

Edit to add: If we decided to wait we would tell him as soon as he got home from rehab

Edited by whomper

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my very unqualified opinion - you have to tell him. If him and his brother were close he needs to know this. If he can't go to his funeral your family will never hear the end of it. I understand your reasons for not telling him but, IMO, this is a situation that you just have to tell him no matter the risks. Not being able to go to the funeral and finding out later could be a life-long blow to your dad. Do the right thing and tell him - he is an adult and needs to know this. Sometimes I think family members treat the older parents as children, making decsions for them - don't be that person. He is your dad, he is an adult, he raised you to be the fine man you are today. Reward him with the respect he deserves and tell him what happened.

I only read 1/2 but i'll blurt out Tell Him.....when dad got his Cancer there was a cat & mouse game of information, he thought they took out his gall bladder and discovered the Cancer but they left it in and did a bypass procedure....he kept tellin people they took out his Gall Bladder, DR hadn't set him staight on jack chit so i discussed it with mom if we should tell him he still has it and she said yes......so i made a drawing of the bypass they did and told him he still had a Gall Bladder....I'll never forget the look he gave me and he said "damn it steve why hasn't anyone told me this"

On the other hand we never told him he had 6 months...no one did...i wrestled with this and still do but when the surgean told me ta tell Mom i ran right home and gave her the news and that right there ripped all the Life & Hope out of my Mom and she hasn't been the same.....no way i was gonna lay that chit on Dad....he's a very positive person and we just went through all the treatment and next steps thinkin he'd get better but the last 2 weeks he knew and said "son I'm runnin out of gas"

Just don't rush off with Info Chris, as a group think it through, as you can tell from my examples it can go either way and will haunt you the rest of your life

very tough call. but i think he would want to know. ask the docs if you can give him some meds to control the shock and grief for a few days? had the same situation with my fil. his bro passed a month before he did, both of lung cancer. so it wasnt a total shock, but we did tell him. all the best.

What if the doctors say he is unable to be transported and handle the viewing ? The main reason for telling him would be so he could attend the viewing. If he is unable to would you still tell him ?

Edited by whomper

Sorry to hear Whomp, about everything. I too am in the camp that thinks you should tell him. He has a right to know, and hopefully you can find a way to get him to the services so he can say good bye to his brother. Thoughts and prayers coming to your entire family Chris.

What if the doctors say he is unable to be transported and handle the viewing. The main reason for telling him would be so he could attend the viewing. If he is unable to would you still tell him ?

Yes. His brother died. He should know. He may want to do something/send someting even if he can't attend. I think you have to tell him.

What if the doctors say he is unable to be transported and handle the viewing ? The main reason for telling him would be so he could attend the viewing. If he is unable to would you still tell him ?

yes, our fil couldnt attend his brothers funeral. it was tough on him, but he was glad they told him.

First off, I am sorry for the loss of your Uncle Louie. I had the same exact type of Uncle in my Uncle Sal, my mothers brother.

Secondly, as much as it would pain your dad to hear this news I honestly think he should be told and go from there. Just think if he goes thru rehab and then goes home and you tell him and he doesn't have a good reaction to it since you "held" it from him. It should be a family decision in the end.

I think you have to tell him regardless of whether or not he is able to go. Like you said, it's his brother and he has a right to know. Also if you don't tell him there is a good possibility that when he does find out he will harbor a bunch of resentment towards the family for not telling him.

I'd still tell him. He deserves the respect (treating him like the adult he is, regardless of age or health).

I understand all the pros and cons, but there can really be only one way to go on this. You have to tell him. He would never forgive you were you to wait and I don't think you want that. Doesn't matter if he can go or not...he would understand that even if it would upset him.... but not telling him would be something he would never understand no matter how you tried to rationalize it.

Sorry for your loss and for your dad being in the situation he is in. My best to you whomp.

I'm going to add to the consensus already... I would tell him as well. Yes, your Dad is in a weak and vulnerable state right now, but you still need to let him know that you are going to treat him like a man and not try to shield him from this like a child. It may be VERY tough for him to hear and deal with, but I still think it's the right thing to do. The lasting resentment that could come from not telling him would probably be a lot worse for his psyche than the initial shock of his brother's death.

Whether he can go to the service or not, by not telling him, you deprive him of the opportunity to grieve with everyone else. I'm not a counselor, but I would think that, particularly in your dad's case, the more he can go through the grieving process with others, the better. If he finds out late, he might feel isolated from the rest of the family, so far as the grieving process goes and it might be that much more difficult for him. Tell him, there's no way you can control what comes next. Whatever is going to happen will happen. What you can control is whether or not you all go through it together.

Just my 2 cents. I'm very sorry for your loss.

you gotta tell him. you just have to. and in any case, you don't know how he'll react. if he's already feeling totally defeated, this may not help. but it also might buck him up a little. you just don't know, but either way I think you have to tell him.

sorry for your loss, man. been a tough stretch for you and your people... :wacko: