[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is your opinion about piercings?

DMD

What piercings bother you?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Female - tongue piercings

• Cool
    • Looks stupid
    • Looks stupid and lower class
  2. 2. Female - other facial piercings

• Cool
    • Looks stupid
  3. 3. If you were hiring someone, would a piercing afffect your opinion of them?

• Not at all
    • Not much, would ask them to not wear at work
    • Definitely lower my opinion of them
    • Would not hire them at all
  4. 4. Male - ear pierced

• Cool
    • Looks stupid
  5. 5. Male - Any other facial piercings

• Cool
    • Looks stupid

Just wondered how you view piercings?

When I grew up in the 70's and 80's, there was no one piercing anything other than ears really so to my generation they are really different and viewed negatively by a lot of people just because it is different. Piercings are way better than tatoos I would guess since you can choose to wear them or not and the holes grow over eventually if you want.

Piercings.... not just for pirates anymore?

These poll chocies really needed a puddy option. I dont necessarily think they all look cool and I dont think they all look stupid. I am kind of indifferent on the whole thing.

I can't vote in the poll because the choices don't reflect my views.

Female: Tongue piercings - signify that she is dirty. Tongue piercings are often done for sexual reasons. Yes, it does affect my opinion of her. BTW, if you have a daughter under 18 that wants a tongue piercing, I would suggest saying no. As far as it being lower class, it's like wearing a sign that says "I want to make sure that when I do a job, I do it well.

Female: Other facial piercings - I have seen many women with a small piercing in their nose with a small stud that looks cute. lip eyebrow and cheek piercings are unattractive IMO. Looks stupid. I don't know it it's "lower class". It shows questionable judgment IMO.

Hiring: Depends on the whole package, but it could certainly affect my opinion. Then again, the company I work for is creative company, and that lends itself to people with a different outlook than I have on things.

Male: Ear pierced - Meh. So long as the guy looks neat, I could care less. The guys that put the donuts in their ears to stretch out the lobe freak me out, but a guy with a small earring doesn't bug me.

Male: other facial - looks stupid, questionable judgment starting off a professional interaction with me with a handicap, albeit a small one. I hope you didn't just show up to represent your technology company with a spike through your face.

The hiring question sort of depends on where the piercings are and how many. I recall Travolta's character from Pulp Fiction, "Is she the one with all the s**t in her face?" If someone has 10 different piercings in their face, hit the road weirdo.

What did your son get pierced?

Actually... it felt a little silly for me to vote "Looks Stupid" on male ear piercings since I did have my ear pierced. But... I don't actually wear anything in it.

What really drives me nuts is those inserts in the ear that get bigger and bigger. Really, dude? That's not going to be as easy to hide as my little earpierce hole when you go looking for a job. You're going to have a huge sagging flap of ear there.

Anything other than pierced ear on a woman is going to evoke a negative reaction from me (a middle aged white guy). The magnitude of the reaction depends on a variety of factors, age, sex, prominence of the hardware.

A young woman with a small stud in the side of her nose - Not so bad. Might even look good. But bad for a dude. As far as hiring goes, I'd hire a general clerk or runner with one.

A young guy with a small, discrete earring - I'm not going to look favorably upon it, but its probably not so bad. With respect to hiring, see above.

Eyebrow, tongue, cheek piercings are over-the-top. Same with those big hoops in the ear that stretch out the ear lobe. I'm not going to hire anyone sporting those.

to my generation they are really different and viewed negatively by a lot of people just because it is different.

I think for many it's more like it's viewed negatively because it's blatantly stupid, unattractive and downright ghetto. ie it IS "negative" and not just a "don't like it because it's not my generation" thing. I grew up 70s too and always thought bell bottom jeans were stupid and some newer looks were good even if not "my thing." IMO this goes beyond that though; why someone would pierce anything other than their ears or permanently graffiti their body is IMO outright bizarro. What's almost as bad is how many trend whore sheeples there are out there. I guess if you're butt ugly anyway, what the hell, nothing to lose - but I see really attractive women with these ghoulish LARGE tattoos and thinking "what the ---- over"

That said, I'm amazed at the poll results here. Y'all are messing up my pessimism. :wacko:

Not a big fan of anything other than ears being pierced on both male and female. As they say, you only have one chance to make a first impression and having a face full of metal sends a very distinct message. That being said, I don't necessarily have a problem with it but I guarantee that it will take me a lot longer to warm up to someone with a lot of piercings.

I can't vote in the poll because the choices don't reflect my views.

Female: Tongue piercings - signify that she is dirty. Tongue piercings are often done for sexual reasons. Yes, it does affect my opinion of her. BTW, if you have a daughter under 18 that wants a tongue piercing, I would suggest saying no. As far as it being lower class, it's like wearing a sign that says "I want to make sure that when I do a job, I do it well.

Female: Other facial piercings - I have seen many women with a small piercing in their nose with a small stud that looks cute. lip eyebrow and cheek piercings are unattractive IMO. Looks stupid. I don't know it it's "lower class". It shows questionable judgment IMO.

Hiring: Depends on the whole package, but it could certainly affect my opinion. Then again, the company I work for is creative company, and that lends itself to people with a different outlook than I have on things.

Male: Ear pierced - Meh. So long as the guy looks neat, I could care less. The guys that put the donuts in their ears to stretch out the lobe freak me out, but a guy with a small earring doesn't bug me.

Male: other facial - looks stupid, questionable judgment starting off a professional interaction with me with a handicap, albeit a small one. I hope you didn't just show up to represent your technology company with a spike through your face.

i agree with all this. that nose thing can be sexy. somehow they make them so small, like a teeny diamond, that at certain angles you don't even see it ... but then it will glitter and signal that something is there. i'm more intrigued by it because it might suggest that she has an inner wild child moreso than any sort of impact on job performance, however.

I agree the little nose stud on a chick can be kind of intriguing. anything else looks stupid. a tongue piercing just means she's a wh00re who talks funny. guys getting one ear pierced has always just struck me as incredibly ghey, nttawwt.

as far as hiring...well let's just say I'd think it reflects on their intelligence and/or seriousness if they didn't take that schit out for a job interview.

Having been in high school and my early 20s in the late 80s and early 90s I got to witness very closely the beginnings of the guy ear piercing trend along with the female multiple ear piercing trend. Having worked in night clubs in the 90s and later becoming a teacher of adolescents I have seen close up the ever increasing trend of multiple piercings on multiple body parts. All that time and experience has made me more or less numb to the whole thing.

That said, there is one thing that makes me question an individual's need for attention, decision making ability and/or potential fragility of his/her psyche. That is the complete image altering, over the top piercing or tatting that often screams "Look at Me!" Hell, I went to school with guys who wore parachute pants and for a while I had a wardrobe that included a few neon pastel shirts. Were we making a statement? Sure we were and we were no doubt screaming look at me but it's a whole lot easier to change clothes than it is to remove a face(or other body part) full of metal.

For the record, I have a pierced ear that hasn't seen an earring for probably 15 years and my brother has one of those huge tribal hoop through the lobe things. He's a really bright guy and I love him but I often wonder, now that he's a dad with sagging loops for earlobes, if he thought that one through.

One last thought... If you have your tongue pierced and it effects the way you speak, take it out. You look and sound like an idiot.

The one advantage to an unwanted piercing vs a tattoo is that it will heal over/close. Tats don't.

Poorly stated but I get your drift. Tats do heal over. And yes, you can make them go away too. NSab had some fade cream the he sells and a buddy of mine had one burned off with a laser. However, getting rid of one is not easy or cheap.

Any piercing on a guy looks stupid. There are only two types of piercing that I think look good on a woman that is ears (no more than two a lobe) and belly button (only if it is a rock hard belly), anything else is a detractor as far as I'm concerned. With regards to hiring, it would depend on the job. If it was a job where the people had to deal with my clients, then it would have a negative impact. If it is I guy out there digging a ditch, I really don't care.

Any piercing on a guy looks stupid. There are only two types of piercing that I think look good on a woman that is ears (no more than two a lobe) and belly button (only if it is a rock hard belly), anything else is a detractor as far as I'm concerned. With regards to hiring, it would depend on the job. If it was a job where the people had to deal with my clients, then it would have a negative impact. If it is I guy out there digging a ditch, I really don't care.

+1 on all counts.

I think for many it's more like it's viewed negatively because it's blatantly stupid, unattractive and downright ghetto. ie it IS "negative" and not just a "don't like it because it's not my generation" thing. I grew up 70s too and always thought bell bottom jeans were stupid and some newer looks were good even if not "my thing." IMO this goes beyond that though; why someone would pierce anything other than their ears or permanently graffiti their body is IMO outright bizarro. What's almost as bad is how many trend whore sheeples there are out there. I guess if you're butt ugly anyway, what the hell, nothing to lose - but I see really attractive women with these ghoulish LARGE tattoos and thinking "what the ---- over"

That said, I'm amazed at the poll results here. Y'all are messing up my pessimism. :wacko:

You don't get out much, do you Mr. Rooney?

With my overall sentiment somewhere in the BS Miscreant realm, they look better on some people than they do on others. Just like beards, tattoos, parachute pants, platform shoes, and wolf t-shirts.

With my overall sentiment somewhere in the BS Miscreant realm, they look better on some people than they do on others. Just like beards, tattoos, parachute pants, platform shoes, and wolf t-shirts.

That's about where I stand. I consider myself pretty lax when it comes to tats, piercings, etc. I certainly wouldn't want my daughter (when/if) getting a tongue ring, though. Sure, I'm hypocritical.

Tongue rings = dirty girl, in most respects. But "dirty" is kinda hot, most of the time, no?

Lip ring, eyebrow rings on chicks... meh... take a shower before the Phish concert, please.

Little stud in the nose? It can look pretty sexy. Definitely no problem with a belly button ring. Earrings? Whatever, as long as it's less than 3 in each lobe, go for it.

Now, piercings on dudes? I don't know. I always regarded them as chick-things. I had/have buddies that rock the earrings-in-both-ears noise, but they're "urban" and just part of their thing. I don't hate 'em because of it, but I'd never do it. :D

Dudes with lip rings, eyebrow rings or anything like that need to take a step back and re-evaluate their sexuality. And take a shower. :wacko:

Nothing between cool and stupid?

I'm 38 and essentially indifferent. The right chick can make anything look good. My wife has her bellybutton pierced and I like that. If you can take it out or itisn't visible in work attire, I don't care what you do.

When I was single and living in the city, a girl with a tongue or nose piercing was definitely a turn-on. I never dated anyone long-term who had unusual piercings, except a navel which I found really sexy. I think subconsciously I assumed a girl with a tongue/lip/nose ring would be a whore, which was probably unfair. But out at clubs or whatever, who cares, pack condoms and enjoy.

Guys with earrings nowadays mostly look like tools. Ditto the big earlobe things and lip/eyebrow piercings. The more extreme, the more I'd like to rip it out and watch Mr. cool tough guy cry like a little jerkoff. I'd say in general I don't like what the kids are wearing nowadays, I don't care if I sound old, I think a lot of them look like complete idiots. All the tattoos, especially on the neck/face/hands, the face piercings, the huge pants, the gaudy printed shirts...it's like advertising you hate yourself.

Piercings alone would not affect whether I would hire someone, unless it was something really extreme and it was a corporate environment. The rest of the person's appearance and their qualifications would have to be taken into account.