[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

goodbye petey

Dr. Sacrebleu

just got back from putting my 13 year old pitbull down.

Adopted him from a shelter about 9 years ago. This sweet, sweet dog had awful arthiritis (never saw him run in all those nine years) and his health was seriously deteriorating (ulcers in both eyes, incontinence, and a growth in his mouth) but he was just happy to be around.

I know the time was right ( my three year old son, and wife are away), but it just feels like it was so wrong.

Just a sucky sucky day.

Already missing that big, clueless, galoot.

Dreading hearing my son asking where the dog is

The "WHEN?" is always tough. We talk about it almost daily.

Sounds like you made the right decision but that won't make telling your son an easier.

Good Luck and my sympathy.

Sorry that you're upset but I'm happy to see that you did the right thing by Petey.

Sorry to hear that. It's an easy decision to make for their sake but the hardest thing to ever do.

CD is wise.

I'm sure we'll all feel the same way when it comes time to put Ursa down.

I keed, I keed.....seriously Sac, sorry to hear about that. :wacko:

the pitbull and the poodle

Thanks for all of your kind replies. Even you Chavez. A good laugh does help.

For those of you like rocknrobin who are about to face this decision, I just want to let you know that it is a lightning fast procedure. Say your goodbyes well before you go to the vets. Petey treated this visit to the vets like anyother. I picked him up and put him on the table, and the vet stuck a catheter in his leg. She then injected the fluid in the catheter, and within 10 seconds Petey just seized up and died. there was no suffering, no long last looks, no questioning eyes. He went from alive to dead in the time it takes to realize what has happened. In fact never got that last look at my dog, as he was staring with curiosity at the vet who was fiddling with the catheter on the other side of me. And then he quietly and quickly collapsed.

Thank you all for your kind words. Somehow it is helpful to be able to talk about this with the anonimity of the internet. A conversation I can't have with face to face people this week without breaking down

sorry to hear it. my thoughts are with you.

my mom called friday to let me know my "first pup" has bone cancer in his leg. he's been limping for about a month so they got it scanned. the doc thinks the leg will fail within a few months so my parents basically have the vet on speed dial.

needless to say, i feel for you but here's hoping your friend is in a better place.

sorry to hear it. my thoughts are with you.

my mom called friday to let me know my "first pup" has bone cancer in his leg. he's been limping for about a month so they got it scanned. the doc thinks the leg will fail within a few months so my parents basically have the vet on speed dial.

needless to say, i feel for you but here's hoping your friend is in a better place.

This happened to our dog Shugs-last month when she could no longer walk. We put her down. Very sad time. To all of you that have lost a pet-so very sorry-but they give you so much love that they are worth having.

the pitbull and the poodle

Thanks for all of your kind replies. Even you Chavez. A good laugh does help.

For those of you like rocknrobin who are about to face this decision, I just want to let you know that it is a lightning fast procedure. Say your goodbyes well before you go to the vets. Petey treated this visit to the vets like anyother. I picked him up and put him on the table, and the vet stuck a catheter in his leg. She then injected the fluid in the catheter, and within 10 seconds Petey just seized up and died. there was no suffering, no long last looks, no questioning eyes. He went from alive to dead in the time it takes to realize what has happened. In fact never got that last look at my dog, as he was staring with curiosity at the vet who was fiddling with the catheter on the other side of me. And then he quietly and quickly collapsed.

Thank you all for your kind words. Somehow it is helpful to be able to talk about this with the anonimity of the internet. A conversation I can't have with face to face people this week without breaking down

And now little tears fill Skippys eyes. So sorry to read this Sac.

Sorry for your loss but remember that you did the best for him. After years of love you gave him and he gave you, you repayed him by allowing him to go.

You now have a furry angel looking down on you.