[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Your personal sports dagger

whomper

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:

2. Roger Craig fumbles in NFC Championship game against Giants. No chance to 3peat for Niners.

oh yeah. that was right there

Season ticket holder at the time, I was there :lol::lol: : :tup:

was in denver with my gf (now wife) watching...horrible!

Me, The Stick-Section 62 Upper Reserved, Row 8, Seat 1, almost fell into row 7, seat 1 :wacko::tup:

Edited by slambo

My Illini losing to North Carolina in the NCAA Championship...after the Illini staged the most remarkable and still confounding comeback against Arizona, I thought they were a team of destiny.

My Wildcats blowing a 14-point lead in the final minutes and losing to the Illini. :wacko:

I just changed mine in post 1. How the hell could I forget about "The Catch"

That was my first thought. Wondered why you left that out....especially because the media twists that dagger on a WEEKLY FREAKING BASIS MAN!!!

If there is a hell, they'll lock me in a room in front of a bank of monitors playing that clip....gaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!

:wacko:

So, October 2003, I'm on my honeymoon on a cruise in the Carribean, and the feed of ESPN Deportes is running the ALCS... Sox vs. Yankees. My whole damn life was watching the Yankees beat the Red Sox, but not this time. Game 7 is on, and my wife is asleep next to me in the balcony room bed as I quietly watch the Sox jump out 4-0 and Clemens gets yanked early in the 4th. The Sox are going to win. My life has led up to this moment. The Sox in the World Series!!! Oh I know they've let me down so many times before, but not this time!!

But another 3 innings go by and the Yanks now are only down by 2. Pedro is definitely losing his stuff. They warm up Timlin, he's money... hasn't given up a hit in the playoffs. No... no... they are keeping Martinez in this inning? What? Hey... he lets up a double and a single. Grady goes out to finally pull him. What? No? One more chance? Pedro gives up the game tying runs.

WHAT THE #$%$%!!!?!?!?

Now I've woken up my wife on our honeymoon bed to watch Aaron #$&$# Boone send the Yankees to the World Series and me fume in bed for hours and through most of the next day.

Easy.

I was living on 215th Street in the fall of 2001. The city was still shell shocked. Smoke was still wafting up from the remains of the World Trade Center. But the Yankees were in the World Series, and it was raising the city's spirits. . giving everyone something to root for. And after 6 games and 7 innings of possibly the greatest series ever played, Alfonso Soriano hit the go ahead home run, and out came Mariano Rivera to seal the deal. . .

Luis Gonzalez will always be the biggest dagger in my sports memory.

1. North Stars losing in the Stanley Cup Finals to the Pens

Remember it well, but hockey is probably at the bottom of my list, in terms of sports I watch. I did watch that series, in its entirety, though... Pretty disappointing, considering the good start they had.

2. Vikes losing to the Falcons in the NFC championship

For me, this might very well be #1. The missed FG by Anderson was probably the specific moment that felt like a dagger, just because of how well he had kicked all year. It was also the point in the game where I felt like it just wasn't meant to be. The taste in my mouth after that loss didn't go away for quite a while (partially due to the fact that I exited the bar when they lost, and proceeded to vomit in the parking lot of BWW in St. Paul). One of the few pukes in my adult life, where I can honestly say alcohol was not a contributing factor, but the pure devastation of the moment was. Brutal.

Others... Vikings losing last year to the Saints is fresh in my mind. The other NFC Championship loss that I remember was '87-88 against Washington (dropped pass near end zone by Darren Nelson). Gopher hoops (led by Willie Burton) nearly beating Georgia Tech, to get to the Final Four in 1990... I can remember Kevin Lynch missing that three-pointer from the corner like it was yesterday.

Of course, as a Timberwolves and Gopher football fan, every game lately feels like a dagger. :wacko:

The Choke At Doak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choke_at_Doak

I happened to be at my in-laws home in CT during this game for Thanksgiving. I was watching the game in the basement family room. My wife said it got so quiet that she thought I fell asleep. As if I could ever fall asleep during a Florida - FSU game.

I don't understand... I happened to be at that game and got quite a different impression.

Easy.

I was living on 215th Street in the fall of 2001. The city was still shell shocked. Smoke was still wafting up from the remains of the World Trade Center. But the Yankees were in the World Series, and it was raising the city's spirits. . giving everyone something to root for. And after 6 games and 7 innings of possibly the greatest series ever played, Alfonso Soriano hit the go ahead home run, and out came Mariano Rivera to seal the deal. . .

Luis Gonzalez will always be the biggest dagger in my sports memory.

We lived on West 21st Street. I had D-backs season tickets the first three years of their existence but we moved to New York before their fourth season. I was certain they would lose Game 7. I was on the phone with a good friend in Arizona lamenting how close the D-backs had come when Gonzalez got that hit. I dropped the phone. My friend's feed was about a second behind mine, so I think I scared the crap out of him when I started yelling. I may have been the only one cheering for miles.

If it's any consolation, no one remembers that the D-backs won, only that the Yanks lost.

I don't understand... I happened to be at that game and got quite a different impression.

That may be a primary difference between Gators and Seminoles. Gators consider a tie with Seminoles as a failure while Seminoles equate a tie with the Gators as a success.

Yes...I'm still bitter.

During the 1989 regular season game against Michigan, Ismail returned two kickoffs for touchdowns.

I'm sure many of you remember 1989 when #1 Notre Dame, fresh off a national title, visited #2 Michigan.

Rocket Ismail decided the game by himself, returning not one but two kickoffs for touchdowns during the second half.

During the 1989 regular season game against Michigan, Ismail returned two kickoffs for touchdowns.

I'm sure many of you remember 1989 when #1 Notre Dame, fresh off a national title, visited #2 Michigan.

Rocket Ismail decided the game by himself, returning not one but two kickoffs for touchdowns during the second half.

Dude, why are you copying and pasting things as your own?

http://www.faniq.com/blog/Video-Video-1989...Blog-4174/last/