[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Coach of the year bet

Dcat

7 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I wouldn't do that to anybody, I'm not going to decide who to censor, no matter what I believe. 

I respect that. But for me it's not so much about someone's opinions, but who I think they are as a person.

Look at you and me, we sure AF don't agree politically, yet I recognize that you are essentially a decent guy. In other words, you aren't a creep.

Sharing a political ideology is not a prerequisite for me to befriend someone. Conversely, if someone agrees with me politically, but I just don't like the vibe of that person, then I'm not going to just put blinders on and ignore it.

I'll just ignore them.

Edited by Running With Daboll

56 minutes ago, Def. said:

Welcome to the new huddle forums, my list has seen more names added in the last year then it has in the first 18.  This is what most threads look like to me nowadays.  

image.thumb.png.708e0cadf601c87a443f710d65a21cc5.png

But then you are missing so much substance, hot takes, and meme's. 

And the train wreck continues. Two pretend alpha dogs trying to show everybody who's been here for years how they're going to change the Huddle forums and make them tougher.

I doubt they get banned permanently, they make about 80% of the posts these days.

As for "real discussion" its hard to do when fools spend so much time pissing thru the threads, wagging their units to show their manhood. Yes I've been guilty of it in the past, I'm trying to change. But the trolls don't help.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Visitors who come here should be smarter when they leave, and not dumber. The axis is tilting here and not in a good way. 

Staley took a team to the playoffs who last made it in 2018 and before that 2013. Firing him at the end of this year, despite the collapse would be dumb and not logical. He did quite a bit with a team that didn't have quite a few key players available all year. Sure, he's an aggressive coach and more often than not, his decisions aren't working in his favor. Aggressive coaching is now the norm. I give JAX more credit than LAC discredit this past weekend. Glad to see the Chargers front office isn't coming here to listen to the boisterous hot air. 

Next year? Different story. 

1 hour ago, gilthorp said:

Visitors who come here should be smarter when they leave, and not dumber. The axis is tilting here and not in a good way. 

Staley took a team to the playoffs who last made it in 2018 and before that 2013. Firing him at the end of this year, despite the collapse would be dumb and not logical. He did quite a bit with a team that didn't have quite a few key players available all year. Sure, he's an aggressive coach and more often than not, his decisions aren't working in his favor. Aggressive coaching is now the norm. I give JAX more credit than LAC discredit this past weekend. Glad to see the Chargers front office isn't coming here to listen to the boisterous hot air. 

But every team should be all in on going after Peyton, as soon as they are eliminated from playoff contention. Even teams with great HOF coaches like the Patriots, surely young man Peyton is better and will produce better results than any existing coach. (Just look at all those SB trophies he won with his HOF QB.) 

4 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

But every team should be all in on going after Peyton, as soon as they are eliminated from playoff contention. Even teams with great HOF coaches like the Patriots, surely young man Peyton is better and will produce better results than any existing coach. (Just look at all those SB trophies he won with his HOF QB.) 

Would you prefer Staley or Payton? Go ahead, make an ass out of yourself. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gilthorp said:

Lol, so the Chargers should kiss the ground that Staley walks on because he's managed to take a team with a considerable amount of talent to the playoffs?

I'll tell you what's "dumb and illogical"...

Doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result. 

Those without the ability to see the limitations of players and coaches, tend to repeat the same mistakes again and again. I'd say the Chargers have been guilty of that repeatedly. 

Staley is a guy who will cloud but never rain. He'll continue to reach the playoffs, (although occasionally he won't), but they'll always fall short of the prize.

There's this intangible "thing" that some coaches possess that instills immediate confidence. It's just there, or it isn't. How many clown coaches have we all recognized from the jump? Conversely, how many guys have you immediately recognized as being legit?

Staley is one of those guys in the middle. Just good enough to make you think he's got what it takes, yet just inept enough to make you wonder if you're wasting your time.

Based on the multiple bonehead decisions he's made these past 2 seasons, and his apparent inability to recognize them, I'd say that Staley is a pretender in the long run.

And if that's the case, then why not cut your losses and start anew?

5 hours ago, gilthorp said:

Staley took a team to the playoffs who last made it in 2018 and before that 2013. Firing him at the end of this year, despite the collapse would be dumb

Would it, even if you can upgrade? What exactly did Staley do that impressed you? He single handily blew at least 3 games with ridiculous calls, dumb timeouts and damn near got his star WR killed in a meaningless game. 

That impresses you? 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Running With Daboll said:

Lol, so the Chargers should kiss the ground that Staley walks on because he's managed to take a team with a considerable amount of talent to the playoffs?

I'll tell you what's "dumb and illogical"...

Doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result. 

Those without the ability to see the limitations of players and coaches, tend to repeat the same mistakes again and again. I'd say the Chargers have been guilty of that repeatedly. 

Staley is a guy who will cloud but never rain. He'll continue to reach the playoffs, (although occasionally he won't), but they'll always fall short of the prize.

There's this intangible "thing" that some coaches possess that instills immediate confidence. It's just there, or it isn't. How many clown coaches have we all recognized from the jump? Conversely, how many guys have you immediately recognized as being legit?

Staley is one of those guys in the middle. Just good enough to make you think he's got what it takes, yet just inept enough to make you wonder if you're wasting your time.

Based on the multiple bonehead decisions he's made these past 2 seasons, and his apparent inability to recognize them, I'd say that Staley is a pretender in the long run.

And if that's the case, then why not cut your losses and start anew?

Because the Spanos are cheap.

• Like 1

Looking for where anyone said kiss the ground he walks on. Don't get all worked up in a fervor because Staley did a good enough job this year. CD makes the true point. That ownership is not a fit for Payton. Everyone who said Staley would be fired was wrong. I mean, they all can't be the 3 time consecutive COTY winner in 24' BD. 

• Confused 1

52 minutes ago, Chief Dick said:

Because the Spanos are cheap.

That is a stumbling block for sure. But if there was ever a time to break with that self defeating tradition, it's now, when Sean Payton is available. 

They play in Los Angeles, if not the top market, then certainly the second. Their revenue stream has no end to it. 

I have my doubts that their reluctance to part with money is their primary problem. It's a factor to be sure, but there are some moronic owners out there who don't have any football acumen to speak of, I'd say the Spanos bunch fit that bill.

Edited by Running With Daboll
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, gilthorp said:

Looking for where anyone said kiss the ground he walks on. Don't get all worked up in a fervor because Staley did a good enough job this year. CD makes the true point. That ownership is not a fit for Payton. Everyone who said Staley would be fired was wrong. I mean, they all can't be the 3 time consecutive COTY winner in 24' BD. 

Worked up in a fervor??? 🤣

That's some imagination you have there. The kiss the ground comment was a metaphor, did I really have to explain that to you?

You seem to think that your opinion is gospel...it's not, nor is mine. But I ask you, how many more "good" seasons without a championship will Staley be afforded?

I say nip it in the bud. Staley is not the guy that's going to take the starving Chargers to the promised land. 

If Spanos truly wants to build a winning culture, he'll recognize an opportunity when he sees one, and maybe he'll loosen the purse strings.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, gilthorp said:

He's a bit of a tough one to figure out. The QB and team seemed to have stood behind him, which isn't totally surprising, but they didn't have to as strongly as they did. The perception around the league and among fans is he is chronically underperforming with the talent he has. After the collapse against the Jags team many thought that was it. But a new coach may not help with JH's development or the team, I think you need to be more of an insider to know. Personally I don't think he's done a very good job with that talent, but he could be learning, and you could certainly make it worse by bringing in a bad fit, so I get it. 

35 minutes ago, gilthorp said:

I went looking for that too, just more hyperbole to get attention. Its what trolls do. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

He's a bit of a tough one to figure out. The QB and team seemed to have stood behind him, which isn't totally surprising, but they didn't have to as strongly as they did. The perception around the league and among fans is he is chronically underperforming with the talent he has. After the collapse against the Jags team many thought that was it. But a new coach may not help with JH's development or the team, I think you need to be more of an insider to know. Personally I don't think he's done a very good job with that talent, but he could be learning, and you could certainly make it worse by bringing in a bad fit, so I get it. 

Yes. You can bring in a Nathaniel Hackett or a Matt Nagy. But it appears he's not good enough for some people, when the players, ownership, and plenty of true experts say he has. Good to get rid of the OC, who choked on Saturday if we want to really just speak the truth or not hot air it. 

• Haha 1