[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dallas is going to the SB!

irish

On 11/24/2023 at 1:00 PM, Unk Rico said:

I can’t wait for the Cowboys to beat a real team, because the fans are all about them and how great they are when they play at home beating up inferior teams.

They'll have some real tests coming up with SEA. PHI, @BUF, @MIA, DET 

34 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

They'll have some real tests coming up with SEA. PHI, @BUF, @MIA, DET 

That is a very challenging stretch. 3-2 coming out of that. Beat Seattle, Detroit and one out of the other 3.  4-1 would be great but that's even less likely than 2-3.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2023 at 12:52 PM, Gopher said:

Probably a combination of a bad matchup for DET and them possibly overlooking BAL just a bit.  Hard to believe that Campbell wouldn't have them ready to go (I doubt he overlooks/underestimates ANYBODY), but they really did look ill prepared yesterday.  

Speaking to the matchup itself, Campbell is building a team that is all-around tough.  Punch them in the mouth, and they'll punch back even harder (or maybe bite your kneecaps off). 

Meh...Detroit got dominated by Chicago today.  

Detroit isn't bad...but they aren't all that good.  Seem to have a questionable defense and an offense where Goff ultimately whiffs when it counts.  

A couple months later and I still think they are over valued and a foolhardy trendy pick.  

9-4. Playoff bound.

But   1 win against a team above 500. Which makes them than 1-4 against against "good" teams at best. 

Edited by Bobby Brown

1 hour ago, gilthorp said:

Turned on last night's game. I saw 5 flags on 6 plays and a replay of Lamb's TD that might have been a hold, but it wasn't called perhaps?

I turned off the game and never went back to it. 

Oh well it was an entertaining game.

The series of 5-6 flags actually occurred in about 10 plays starting around the 8:49 mark of Q1.

On 12/10/2023 at 10:32 PM, Bobby Brown said:

Meh...Detroit got dominated by Chicago today.  

Detroit isn't bad...but they aren't all that good.  Seem to have a questionable defense and an offense where Goff ultimately whiffs when it counts.  

A couple months later and I still think they are over valued and a foolhardy trendy pick.  

9-4. Playoff bound.

But   1 win against a team above 500. Which makes them than 1-4 against against "good" teams at best. 

Interesting that you waited until now to quote my post.  :lol:  Detroit has just as many wins against the "good" teams as Dallas does (they just got their first against Philly). The Lions have definitely struggled in two of the last three weeks.  Mostly on the defensive side, but Goff has been a bit off as well.  That said, Chicago is playing well right now.  They're a different team with Fields healthy and Sweat added on defense. And, every team in the NFC (or the NFL, for that matter), has had ugly losses.  Well, except maybe SF (although, at the time, losing to CLE was considered to be pretty bad). 

I still stand by everything I said two months ago.  Detroit is, at worst, the 4th best team in the NFC.  Of course, I think the top three are in a tier by themselves (and SF might be in a tier above the next two).  But, after those three, I think Detroit is next best.  What does that mean?  I don't know... Maybe a playoff win? Maybe not.  I'm not saying that they're going to win the SB, or anything close.  But, they're better than they were last year, which was light years better than they were before that.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gopher said:

Interesting that you waited until now to quote my post.  :lol:  Detroit has just as many wins 

I've made my feelings on Detroit being overhyped, in this thread, well before now.  Your post I quoted stuck in the memory bank as an example of praise I found a bit over the top.  It  seemed like you were about to lobby for the Lombardi trophy to be renamed the Dan Campbell trophy.  :lol:

Last 3 games Detroit has lost to Chicago and Green Bay while squeaking a win out against the Saints.  Last 5 games their D is giving up 360+ yard and 30 PPG.

Their schedule has certainly helped out their record.  Guaranteed top 4 in NFC?  Are they currently better than Vikings, Bears, Packers, Saints, Buccaneers, Falcons, Rams, and Seahawks? Maybe.  An argument could be made for a comparison to anyone of those 8 teams before even introducing 49ers, Cowboys, and Eagles into the discussion.

Edited by Bobby Brown

16 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

I've made my feelings on Detroit being overhyped, in this thread, well before now.  Your post I quoted stuck in the memory bank as an example of praise I found a bit over the top.  It  seemed like you were about to lobby for the Lombardi trophy to be renamed the Dan Campbell trophy.  :lol:

Last 3 games Detroit has lost to Chicago and Green Bay while squeaking a win out against the Saints.  Last 5 games their D is giving up 360+ yard and 30 PPG.

Their schedule has certainly helped out their record.  Guaranteed top 4 in NFC?  Are they currently better than Vikings, Bears, Packers, Saints, Buccaneers, Falcons, Rams, and Seahawks? Maybe.  An argument could be made for a comparison to anyone of those 8 teams before even introducing 49ers, Cowboys, and Eagles into the discussion.

I never "guaranteed" anything. I just said that I think they're top four in the NFC.  And, I get it... That might be by default.  There isn't really another "good" team in the conference, after the top three (and I think Detroit falls into the "good" category as a 4th). Not elite, not ready to contend for a SB, but a team on the rise.  Do I think they're better than the teams you bolded above?  Right now, absolutely.  They're the best team in their division (they've proven that not only this year, but the last half of last year).  The NFC South is probably going to be won by a team with a losing record (or, best case, 9-8).  If those teams didn't play each other twice each, none of them would have more than 5 wins.  Rams and Seahawks?  Meh.  One of them MIGHT squeak into the playoffs, but again, it's likely to be at 9-8 (at best).  And neither has a defense that is much/any better than DET's, at least on paper.  

Honestly, the Bears might be playing better football right now than anybody else on that list.  I guess we'll see in the next month.  I hope I'm wrong (I would love to see MIN split with DET, or even better, sweep them).  Having watched a lot of both teams, though, I'm afraid that, as bad as the DET defense has been, they have a much better shot of stopping a Dobbs or Mullen-led MIN offense than MIN has of stopping DET.  

• Like 2

Just now, Gopher said:

I never "guaranteed" anything. I just said that I think they're top four in the NFC.  And, I get it... That might be by default.  There isn't really another "good" team in the conference, after the top three (and I think Detroit falls into the "good" category as a 4th). Not elite, not ready to contend for a SB, but a team on the rise.  Do I think they're better than the teams you bolded above?  Right now, absolutely.  They're the best team in their division (they've proven that not only this year, but the last half of last year).  The NFC South is probably going to be won by a team with a losing record (or, best case, 9-8).  If those teams didn't play each other twice each, none of them would have more than 5 wins.  Rams and Seahawks?  Meh.  One of them MIGHT squeak into the playoffs, but again, it's likely to be at 9-8 (at best).  And neither has a defense that is much/any better than DET's, at least on paper.  

Honestly, the Bears might be playing better football right now than anybody else on that list.  I guess we'll see in the next month.  I hope I'm wrong (I would love to see MIN split with DET, or even better, sweep them).  Having watched a lot of both teams, though, I'm afraid that, as bad as the DET defense has been, they have a much better shot of stopping a Dobbs or Mullen-led MIN offense than MIN has of stopping DET.  

I agree they are the 4th best, and right not SF is peaking, DAL is playing well, PHI is having trouble and so is DET. People forget the Cowboys lost to the winless Cardinals 2 months ago. 

Detroit has a pretty tough schedule remaining, that will be their biggest hurdle

DEN, @MIN, @DAL, MIN.   Need to win 2 of those I think, including split with MIN. 

If they can hold on to win the division they will play somebody that isn't very good, while the NFC South winner would face PHI or DAL. 

32 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Definitely a tough (potentially) stretch coming up for DET.  I could see them winning or losing any of those four.  

I could see 2-2 but could be 1-3 or 3-1.  Dallas likely beats them.  And then they either split with Min or beat Minny twice and lose to Denver. 

1 hour ago, Gopher said:

I never "guaranteed" anything. 

Semantics.  

Detroit is, at worst, the 4th best team in the NFC is a definitive statement.  

2 of the 8 teams I listed just recently beat Detroit, Seattle is a third team Detroit lost to at home earlier in the season. But Detroit is absolutely better than all of those teams I guess? Lots of off the field adoration that I'm not really seeing come to fruition on the field.

Edited by Bobby Brown
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

Semantics.  

I mean, you're arguing against something that was said after week 7. I get that you're saying that you thought they were overrated, but it's not really going out on a limb at that time to argue that they're the 4th best in the NFC. Right now they've got the 4th best record in the NFC. Can you definitively say you think any team is better?

18 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

I mean, you're arguing against something that was said after week 7. 

That was verbatim from a post made 4 hours ago. 🤷‍♂️

My point is there are probably at least a  half dozen teams currently vying for 4th best.  Maybe even 3rd best if Philly can't right the ship soon.

Edited by Bobby Brown

1 hour ago, Bobby Brown said:

Semantics.  

2 of the 8 teams I listed just recently beat Detroit, Seattle is a third team Detroit lost to at home earlier in the season. But Detroit is absolutely better than all of those teams I guess? Lots of off the field adoration that I'm not really seeing come to fruition on the field.

Put it this way.  If I'm ranking teams on their chances of representing the NFC in the SB, Detroit would be in my top four.  A distant 4th, but in the top four.  Sounds like you disagree.  Which is fine.  Do I think they WILL reach the SB?  Of course not.  But, I like their chances better than anybody else outside of the top three.  If you think that's so far-fetched, feel free to name who you think has a better shot.  :shrug: 

Do I KNOW definitively that they're better than anybody you listed?  Well, no, I do not.  Not any more than you know they're worse than DAL or PHI.  

35 minutes ago, Gopher said:

But, I like their chances better than anybody else outside of the top three.  If you think that's so far-fetched, feel free to name who you think has a better shot.  :shrug: 

I already named 8 teams who I think could be in the conversation of anybody else on the outside.  

Detroit, in the last 5 games, has a negative point differential and ranks 29th in team defense.    All 5 of those teams, four which are in the NFC, currently have a losing record.  

I get you like their chances and apparently believe Detroit belongs in its own tier outside the elite teams, I'm seeing something on the field different than you are to declare them a no-brainer top 4 at worst.  

Edited by Bobby Brown
  • Haha 1

• DMD locked this topic