[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dallas is going to the SB!

irish

1 hour ago, Bobby Brown said:

That was verbatim from a post made 4 hours ago. 🤷‍♂️

My point is there are probably at least a  half dozen teams currently vying for 4th best.  Maybe even 3rd best if Philly can't right the ship soon.

Different tack, who would you say is the 4th best right now?

Personally, right now I think it's Green Bay. But I fully admit that I could look like a complete fool for saying that next week. After them, I still really like Detroit despite their recent woes. The point is, I don't think it's that big a stretch to think they're 4th in the NFC. Especially if you're saying that with the knowledge that there's a chasm between 3 & 4. Right now I see it San Fran, Dallas, Philly and Green Bay a distant 4th.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Different tack, who would you say is the 4th best right now?

Personally, right now I think it's Green Bay. But I fully admit that I could look like a complete fool for saying that next week. After them, I still really like Detroit despite their recent woes. The point is, I don't think it's that big a stretch to think they're 4th in the NFC. Especially if you're saying that with the knowledge that there's a chasm between 3 & 4. Right now I see it San Fran, Dallas, Philly and Green Bay a distant 4th.

I know they're 6-7, but what about the Rams?  They'll probably finish 9-8 beating the Commanders, Saints and Giants before losing to the 49ers, unless of course the 49ers rest people in week 18, then they have a decent shot of going 4-0.

Edited by irish

7 minutes ago, irish said:

I know they're 6-7, but what about the Rams?  They'll probably finish 9-8 beating the Commanders, Saints and Giants before losing to the 49ers, unless of course the 49ers test people in week 18, then they have a decent shot of going 4-0.

Having an easy schedule doesn't necessarily make you a better team. They've hung around, but I still like Green Bay & Detroit better right now.

To be completely honest, I don't see any of these teams beyond the top three making any sort of realistic push in the playoffs. It's kind of a moot argument. They may win a game against another lesser opponent, but it's going to end up being between those top three, regardless IMO. If we're talking about puncher's chance, my money is on Green Bay and Detroit.

24 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

I don't think it's that big a stretch to think they're 4th in the NFC. 

It isn't.  And that's an entirely different discussion than 4th at worst with absolutely no one else belonging in the conversation.  

Green Bay is there. I also agree with Irish on the Rams.  If you take Seattle's 2 games against the 49ers off the table they have had competitive games against the Rams and the Cowboys.  

I did list 8 teams who I think are in consideration, beyond Detroit, of being the bridesmaid's bridesmaid's bridesemaid.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Having an easy schedule doesn't necessarily make you a better team. They've hung around, but I still like Green Bay & Detroit better right now.

To be completely honest, I don't see any of these teams beyond the top three making any sort of realistic push in the playoffs. It's kind of a moot argument. They may win a game against another lesser opponent, but it's going to end up being between those top three, regardless IMO. If we're talking about puncher's chance, my money is on Green Bay and Detroit.

I wasn't stating that their easier schedule makes them a better team. The point I was trying to make is that regardless of their current 6-7 schedule, the remaining schedule will give them an opportunity to make the playoffs.  And with Stafford at the helm, Puka, Kupp, etc at WR and Kyren Williams at RB, they hand plenty of firepower in offense to be a dangerous team. If their defense can do enough, they could make some nice. Their offense is similar, if not better than the Lions' and both defenses are suspect. 

I'm just trying to look for any other team from the NFC that could even pose a threat to the 49ers, Dallas, Philly.  Obviously the Lions and then you mentioned the Packers and I think the only other team would be the Rams. 

However, I agree, it's a moot point as the top 3 are far and away the dominant teams in the NFC, one of those 3 will represent the NFC in the SB. I think it'll be the 49ers with an outside chance to the Cowboys. 

Edited by irish

45 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

If you take Seattle's 2 games against the 49ers off the table...

I get it now...:shades:

Kidding aside, the point is, an argument could be made for any of these teams. At times they've all played very well, even against strong teams. I just don't think it's out of the question to think one or two are a head above the rest when all is said & done. Rather than just disagree, make a case for your favorites. It's much easier to shoot holes in someone else's argument than make one of your own.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, irish said:

I wasn't stating that their easier schedule makes them a better team. The point I was trying to make is that regardless of their current 6-7 schedule, the remaining schedule will give them an opportunity to make the playoffs.  And with Stafford at the helm, Puka, Kupp, etc at WR and Kyren Williams at RB, they hand plenty of firepower in offense to be a dangerous team. If their defense can do enough, they could make some nice. Their offense is similar, if not better than the Lions' and both defenses are suspect. 

I'm just trying to look for any other team from the NFC that could even pose a threat to the 49ers, Dallas, Philly.  Obviously the Lions and then you mentioned the Packers and I think the only other team would be the Rams. 

However, I agree, it's a moot point as the top 3 are far and away the dominant teams in the NFC, one of those 3 will represent the NFC in the SB. I think it'll be the 49ers with an outside chance to the Cowboys. 

I don't disagree with any of this. I like the Lions defense and offense, specifically the Lions running game and TE position, slightly better than the Rams. 

32 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

an argument could be made for any of these teams.

. It's much easier to shoot holes in someone else's argument than make one of your own

:lol: My argument was precisely that Detroit isn't in its own tier behind the elite teams.  A debate often happens with two opposing viewpoints. Gopher insinuated your bolded statement wasn't even worthy of consideration.  I listed multiple teams who I think belong in the conversation. I also listed several stats showing how relatively crappy Detroit has been over the last few weeks.

But thanks for jumping in an attempt to change the argument and shooting holes in my argument because you have an objective nature when it comes to arguing and you never pointlessly argue.  :lol: 

Edited by Bobby Brown
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Bobby Brown said:

:lol: My argument was precisely that Detroit isn't in its own tier behind the elite teams.  A debate often happens with two opposing viewpoints. Gopher insinuated your bolded statement wasn't even worthy of consideration.  I listed multiple teams who I think belong in the conversation. I also listed several stats showing how relatively crappy Detroit has been over the last few weeks.

But thanks for jumping in an attempt to change the argument and shooting holes in my argument because you have an objective nature when it comes to arguing and you never pointlessly argue.  :lol: 

I've made a few points. Your failure to see them is pretty par for the course. :lol:

Again, who would you say is 4th best right now in the conference, if not Detroit?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

Carolina Panthers.

Now that's equally funny and ridiculous all in one. 

Edited by irish

12 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

They are the 16th best team, at worst.  :anton_chigurh:

🤣  I agree. 

12 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

I already named 8 teams who I think could be in the conversation of anybody else on the outside.  

Detroit, in the last 5 games, has a negative point differential and ranks 29th in team defense.    All 5 of those teams, four which are in the NFC, currently have a losing record.  

I get you like their chances and apparently believe Detroit belongs in its own tier outside the elite teams, I'm seeing something on the field different than you are to declare them a no-brainer top 4 at worst.  

So beyond the discussed "top 4" of PHI/DAL/SF/DET you've got 8 other teams that should be in the conversation?  That is nearly the entire rest of the conference. No team in the NFC South should be in discussion for the 4th best team, no not even if they beat the Lions. Same goes for AZ, WAS, NYG. 

If beating a good team makes you better, than the Browns are better than the 49ers. And the Jets are better than the Eagles, Bills & Texans.

We all get it, Bobby thinks the Lions are nowhere near as good as their record. We just don't happen to agree. And I personally laugh at a lengthy list of teams who have been mediocre most of the season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have been talking up Detroit from early on because I felt they have a lot of talent in key spots , a great coach and a renewed enthusiasm . I still feel they are a very solid team with a punchers chance but they have definitely shown dents in the armor . The NFC is Friscos to lose IMO. As happy as I am about Dallas , SF thumped them and the Eagles . I need to see Dak do what hes doing now in the playoffs. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

If beating a good team makes you better

I mentioned that in passing as part of a more comprehensive multitude lines of evidence approach.  If one was intellectually honest, one would acknowledge the factual metrics on Detroit's performance over the last month plus.  That tells a pretty compelling story that Detroit is either vastly underperforming and/or they simply aren't that good.  Overhyped even.

38 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

image.thumb.png.39bfe74d8ca91aa3a435c5965e69101d.png

That's hysterical!  I still can't believe how good Purdy is. 

7 minutes ago, irish said:

That's hysterical!  I still can't believe how good Purdy is. 

I traded Lawrence and others and got Purdy back in exchange. Was telling the other owner I did not see him as a good value keeper, usually top 8-10 or so are kept in our league (12 teams, 5 keepers per team with no limits on time etc).

Over the last few years people who don't have a stud WB prefer to keep more RB/WR/TE and the QBs who don't get protected are there for a few rounds, those with studs don't burn a high pick for a bench player. 

With exception to the bye, this is the first time I haven't started Goff since I lost Burrow. I went with Stafford instead because, you know, Detroit is overrated and the Rams are more dangerous. :lol:

Goff promptly rewarded me for my loyalty with 41 points on my bench. 

Edited by rajncajn
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Shaft said:

:pop:

So judgey!  I didn't finish the sentence...

Dallas is going to the SuperBowl... next season. 

• DMD locked this topic