[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rolling Rock sold to Anheuser-Busch

Puddy

Rolling Rock Sale Clouds Pa. Town's Future By DANIEL LOVERING, AP Business Writer

Fri May 19, 5:46 PM ET

PITTSBURGH - The departure of Rolling Rock beer from the tiny Pennsylvania town it has come to symbolize has left the future of local brewery workers — and the town's identity — in question.

ADVERTISEMENT

The owner of the Rolling Rock brand, a U.S. subsidiary of the Belgium-based brewing giant InBev SA, announced Friday that it had sold the brand to Anheuser-Busch Cos. for $82 million.

But the Latrobe Brewing Co., which has churned out the beer since 1939, is not part of the deal. It will be sold and Anheuser-Busch will begin making Rolling Rock and Rock Green Light elsewhere in August.

More than 200 workers were told that the brewery will continue to operate until July 31, and that the company is in talks with potential buyers, said George Sharkey, a union business agent for about 120 of the employees.

"We're hoping that it's not as devastating as it seems," said Sharkey, of the International Union of Electronics Workers/Communications Workers of America's Local 144B chapter. "We're hoping someone will come in and keep this facility operating."

Scores of unionized workers were summoned to a hotel in nearby Greensburg early Friday to get information about possible severance packages.

Sharkey noted that the brewery has had equipment upgrades in recent years, including installation of a $14.5 million packaging line six years ago that was expected to double the plant's production capacity.

"It's in excellent condition," Sharkey said. "That's what makes us optimistic, that it's a very attractive facility for anybody that would be interested."

But news that Rolling Rock will be leaving Latrobe, a town of about 9,000 people, spells trouble for the local economy and has upset residents who have seen generations of local people go to work at the brewery.

Tom Marflak, Latrobe's mayor, called the move "an injustice for the city."

"It goes without saying how disappointing it is to hear the news that Rolling Rock will no longer be brewed in Latrobe," he said. "It goes beyond just the brewery."

He said the sale could lead to a rise in unemployment or the relocation of families. If the plant closes, he said, taxpayers would pay a price.

"With Rolling Rock being such a huge user of water ... the municipal authority now has to take that hit," Marflak said. "Who's ultimately going to pay for that? It's the citizens of Latrobe."

The mayor said it is imperative to find a buyer that will keep the brewery operating, and said he would offer incentives — including a possible five- to 10-year tax abatement — to help attract one.

He said one of the brewery's selling points is its unusually dedicated employees, some of whom are from families that have been with the company for generations.

Ed Dobies, a maintenance employee who has worked at the brewery for 42 years, said "taking Rolling Rock out of Latrobe doesn't sit right with me."

"It's hard," he told WTAE-TV. "My dad worked there. I started there when I was 19. I want to retire from there, and I want the brewery to continue. Rolling Rock and Latrobe, they go together."

Rolling Rock Sale Clouds Pa. Town's Future By DANIEL LOVERING, AP Business Writer

Fri May 19, 5:46 PM ET

PITTSBURGH - The departure of Rolling Rock beer from the tiny Pennsylvania town it has come to symbolize has left the future of local brewery workers — and the town's identity — in question.

1479313[/snapback]

Hmmmmm, ok that does it, Anheuser-Busch just moved past Gates, to take the #1 spot on my top ten list of is most likely the Anti-Christ. I like to drink Rolling Rock, now I will have to scratch it off of my list.

Hmmmm, wonder how much a brandless brewry costs? Would that not be the coolest thing in the world?

I just played a round of golf today out in Latrobe. The mood around there is very somber. It's as if someone died. I sure hope for the sake of a great little town that someone sets up shop there.

And I will also scratch Rolling Rock right off of my list. Yeungling has been the beer of choice at most of our local gatherings but plenty of Rolling Rock was also around. Now would be a good time for Yeungling to step up local maketing and try to pick up the anti Anheuser-Busch crowd.

Plenty of folks drink RR around here. And green light too. Not me. I am not going to sell out to one of those small breweries, or even worse, a micro brew, just so I can be trendy. Beer snobs are as bad as coffee or wine snobs. Screw that elitest bs. I will stick with Bud light.

Edited by spain

They don't sell Yuck-ling in Georgia BJ? 

They sell the sh*t out of it here in NC.  I can get some down to ya if you need.

1479553[/snapback]

I saw the distribution list. In some neighboring states, but not here.

With that crossing state lines, not sure if possible to send it.

I will miss the Rolling. Years ago I was in Austin for SSW, there was a bar then called Joe's Generic - the only beer they sold when I was there was Rolling Rock - a whole wall of glass door coolers full of the green. Good times

1479401[/snapback]

Amen. Bud is garbage. Ick.

Same thing happened in Baltimore years ago. National Bohemien (Natty Boh, 'un) is no longer brewed in Baltimore. It's cheap pee water, but it is a Baltimore icon. The old brewery is now new condos. The Natty Boh man lit in Neon sits atop (ick).

Good luck to them keeping it open. This brewery sat unused for I don't know how long.

http://www.robertmcclintock.com/gallery_ba...s/natty-boh.jpg

http://www.brewershill.net/

http://www.nationalbohemian.com/

https://www.nattybohgear.com/catalog/

I saw the distribution list.  In some neighboring states, but not here.

With that crossing state lines, not sure if possible to send it.

1479564[/snapback]

grew up in PA, been in ATL for the past 10 years. Every trip back home I always wind up bring 4 or 6 cases with me. I just polished off the end of my reserves a couple weeks ago. GA sucks WRT alcohol. :D

Yeungling is based in Pottstown(i think) maybe they will be interested

1479331[/snapback]

Didn't Darth Vader wipe them all out at the Jedi Temple in Revenge of the Sith? :D:D

Edited by Savage Beatings

I think that Yuengling was looking to expand their capacity, as they couldn't keep up with demand.  Would be nice if they would take over the brewery, or at least contract with them to brew it.

1480018[/snapback]

I believe they built a new brewery outside of town (Pottsville).

Plenty of folks drink RR around here.  And green light too.  Not me.  I am not going to sell out to one of those small breweries, or even worse, a micro brew, just so I can be trendy.  Beer snobs are as bad as coffee or wine snobs.  Screw that elitest bs.  I will stick with Bud light.

1479382[/snapback]

If I am drinking to get wasted I'll drink bud light. If I am just having one (or 6) hanging out I will buy the good stuff.

Edited by thecerwin

Yeungling is based in Pottstown(i think) maybe they will be interested

1479331[/snapback]

I think that Yuengling was looking to expand their capacity, as they couldn't keep up with demand.  Would be nice if they would take over the brewery, or at least contract with them to brew it.

1480018[/snapback]

That would be cool. The only things Latrobe had going for it were Rolling Rock and St Vincent College, where the Steelers have training camp.

• 10 months later...

Looks like they will still be making beer in Latrobe PA

:D

Samuel Adams comes calling on Latrobe brewer

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

By Len Boselovic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

City Brewing's plans to restart the former Latrobe Brewing plant got a shot in the arm yesterday when Boston Beer Co. said an undisclosed amount of its Samuel Adams beers will be brewed there.

Boston Beer Co. said it would invest $3 million to $7 million in the Latrobe brewery so it could accommodate the proprietary yeasts and extended aging time its brewing process requires. The company also is considering taking an ownership interest in the facility, acquired by City Brewing last year.

"This partnership ensures that Latrobe's historic brewery will be back up and running and is the first step in building a thriving and vibrant operation in Latrobe on a long-term basis," said City Brewing Chief Executive Officer Randy Smith.

It won't be the first time Sam Adams has been brewed in Western Pennsylvania. The Boston beer formerly was brewed at now bankrupt Pittsburgh Brewing in Lawrenceville.

"We're looking for good things to happen up there with Boston because they sell a lot of beer," said George Sharkey, business agent of the IUE/Communications Workers of America, which represents workers at the Latrobe brewery.

He said Samuel Adams accounted for about 60 percent of production at Pittsburgh Brewing before Boston Beer made other arrangements about a decade ago.

Boston Beer produced 1.6 million barrels last year, up 18 percent from 2005. Just how much the company will rely on the Latrobe facility could depend on whether it supplements production at breweries in Boston and Cincinnati by building a plant in Freetown, Mass.

The company is obtaining preliminary bids for the Massachusetts project, based on producing more than 1 million barrels of beer and its Twisted Tea brands. Boston Beer estimates the project would cost $170 million to $210 million and expects to decide this summer on whether to proceed.

City Brewing produces beer, energy drinks, flavored malt beverages and other drinks under contract for Boston Beer and other companies. The LaCrosse, Wis., company purchased the Latrobe plant from InBev.

Production of Rolling Rock halted in July after Anheuser-Busch purchased the brands from InBev for $82 million and moved production to its Newark, N.J., brewery.

Gov. Edward Rendell visited the Latrobe plant in January to announce $4.5 million in aid for resuming production and promised more than $7 million in additional assistance.

Employment at the facility is projected to reach 100 by year's end and 250 within three years.

Plenty of folks drink RR around here. And green light too. Not me. I am not going to sell out to one of those small breweries, or even worse, a micro brew, just so I can be trendy. Beer snobs are as bad as coffee or wine snobs. Screw that elitest bs. I will stick with Bud light.

Sell out to one of those small breweries? Rolling Rock has been around since before you were born. It's been around longer than Bud Light has that's for sure. It may be trendy to drink RR in some other state, but those of us from PA remember it well. It was my favorite beer but I'll be damned if I'm going to drink it now that the king of headaches AB bought them out. And they're brewing it in Newark, the armpit of the world?

Why the hell would they sell the name RR only? And cheers to Sam Adams and Boston :D for helping the town of Latrobe out. Maybe they can eventually buy the RR brand back.

By the way, spain, I drink Bud Light also. The only AB product that doesn't give me headaches.