[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big Ben in mc accident

Front Row

BUT,

If you don't ride a mc (and mc does not stand for Mc Donalds :D ) your opinion is not worth very much.

I have ridden many miles and many yrs. , Helmets, IMO take away from the pleasure of motorcycling ; period. (Big ole neck cramp from the wind ) They DO protect you from head injury. They ALSO take away your hearing and peripheral vision. They also have been attributed to making neck injuries worse in minor accidents.

I totally disagree with you. Lots of things are hard about safe cycling, but you have to deal with it. It sucks wearing leathers on a hot summer's day ride--but try being in just about anything else if you dump your bike at speed. Skin grafts anyone??

Yes, a helmet takes away from your hearing and peripheral vision. But at the same time a helmet protects you from more than plowing into a car making an illegal left-hand turn right in front of you. A good helmet protects you from rocks and the always famous bug hits that yes, can cause you to dump your bike if you take one in the eye or forehead. They protect you from really seemingly trivial stuff like dust and leaves that can cloud your vision if they get you in the eye. It can protect you from crap that people thow out of their cars. I have a friend who was once right by me when he took a half-full can of Coke on his faceplate. If that had hit him in the face, he might have gone down at 65 miles an hour on a busy interstate. As it is, he wobbled a little mostly from the suprise, and managed to stay up.

And of course, a helmet can keep you from getting your skull split open and spending the rest of your life trying to fit a square peg in a round hole while struggling with your wife's name.

Yes, it's wonderful to ride along at 70 miles an hour in shorts and a tanktop without a helmet. However, I would never do that except in the most controlled circumstances (I practically need an empty raceway before I would do it). I don't even ride with anyone who would not wear a helmet for anything more than running around the corner to get a gallon of milk. Safe biking is not only good for you, but it is a good example for motorists around you, who in my experience take your safety more seriously if they think that you are visibly setting an example by taking safety seriously.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally disagree with you. Lots of things are hard about safe cycling, but you have to deal with it. It sucks wearing leathers on a hot summer's day ride--but try being in just about anything else if you dump your bike at speed. Skin grafts anyone??

Yes, a helmet takes away from your hearing and peripheral vision. But at the same time a helmet protects you from more than plowing into a car making an illegal left-hand turn right in front of you. A good helmet protects you from rocks and the always famous bug hits that yes, can cause you to dump your bike if you take one in the eye or forehead. They protect you from really seemingly trivial stuff like dust and leaves that can cloud your vision if they get you in the eye. It can protect you from crap that people thow out of their cars. I have a friend who was once right by me when he took a half-full can of Coke on his faceplate. If that had hit him in the face, he might have gone down at 65 miles an hour on a busy interstate. As it is, he wobbled a little mostly from the suprise, and managed to stay up.

And of course, a helmet can keep you from getting your skull split open and spending the rest of your life trying to fit a square peg in a round hole while struggling with your wife's name.

Yes, it's wonderful to ride along at 70 miles an hour in shorts and a tanktop without a helmet. However, I would never do that except in the most controlled circumstances (I practically need an empty raceway before I would do it). I don't even ride with anyone who would not wear a helmet for anything more than running around the corner to get a gallon of milk. Safe biking is not only good for you, but it is a good example for motorists around you, who in my experience take your safety more seriously if they think that you are visibly setting an example by taking safety seriously.

:D Great post Kraft!

:D

Edited by kpholmes

i hope to god the humanity in you at least has some feeling for the families and loved ones of those involved in accidents like this. im sure his little sister is having a good ol' time knowing her brother just got out of 7 hours of surgery and all the uncertainty regarding his long term health.. ive experienced a death in the family via a horrible car accident a couple months ago.. i know what its like for a family when a young person with a bright future is suddenly killed without warning. i am glad for ben and his family that he has survived. in a blink of an eye your time could be up.. you can feel however you want to though.

Sure. But since I don't know him or his family or loved ones, I'm not really going to spend any time thinking about it or getting upset or whatever.

When you are young, you think you are invincible. You think to yourself, "as long as I don't screw up, I will be fine riding this bike in traffic with no helmet."

When you are young you don't realize that the roadways are full of IDIOTS that think THEY are the only ones on the road. They aren't looking out for the nearly invisible motorcycle rider in the next lane. They are so focused on talking on their cell phone and making it to the store to get their Haagen Daaz, they don't have time to be looking out for Mr. Invincible motorcycle rider.

Ben has learned a hard lesson that all of us learn in one way or another. No matter how good you may be, never underestimate the stupidity and carelessness of others. That is what helmets are for.

When you are young, you think you are invincible. You think to yourself, "as long as I don't screw up, I will be fine riding this bike in traffic with no helmet."

When you are young you don't realize that the roadways are full of IDIOTS that think THEY are the only ones on the road. They aren't looking out for the nearly invisible motorcycle rider in the next lane. They are so focused on talking on their cell phone and making it to the store to get their Haagen Daaz, they don't have time to be looking out for Mr. Invincible motorcycle rider.

Ben has learned a hard lesson that all of us learn in one way or another. No matter how good you may be, never underestimate the stupidity and carelessness of others. That is what helmets are for.

Agreed - you don't know what the idiot in the other vehicle might do! :D

Sure. But since I don't know him or his family or loved ones, I'm not really going to spend any time thinking about it or getting upset or whatever.

Methinks you miss the point, Furd. The comment may be couched in terms of empathy for the family or Big Ben, but it's really all about having a take. It doesn't matter if you have any reason to care -- you're just supposed to have an opinon, and state it repeatedly and passionately, as if you should care.

Simply having an opinion is a value in itself. Doesn't matter if the opinion is informed or relevant. Conformity to social mores used to be noted by silent acquiesence. Now, thanks to sports talk radio, among other things, conformity requires active complicity.

Didja hear that TO is not a team player? Or that Ricky is selfish and stupid for smoking Josh Gordon? When you get a chance to show the world you're right, and you have splattered brains on the road to prove your point, you gotta jump on that bandwagon. I mean, think of the children. That's why Terry Bradshaw, one of the stupidest men on earth, has been quoted for the past 24 hours as if he's some kind of prophet.

Helmets are good, and should always be worn, and people who don't agree with that are very, very stupid. Big Ben did not conform, and so he is selfish and evil, and is now paying the price for non-conformity. But, we still love him, because you should love the sinner and hate the sin. Check.

Look, all I know is:

Dude was called out on national TV for riding without a helmet.

Dude was in an accident in which he apparently was not at fault (at least not completely) and was not speeding.

Dude suffered serious injuries almost exclusively to his head.

:D

It was a stupid, stupid thing to do. He had every right to make that choice, and he should have the right under the law to make that choice, but his choice was an arrogant, irresponsible, stupid choice.

Furd: at least for me, the issue is not whether I know him or his loved ones. The issue is that I am a fan of the defending Superbowl Championship team of which he is a key player, and due to his stupid choice, the team's season, as well as the boost the Steelers give this city (financially and psychologically), have been unnecessarily jeopardized because of that stupid choice. The situation is certainly one that warrants extended discussion on a football web site.

Methinks you miss the point, Furd. The comment may be couched in terms of empathy for the family or Big Ben, but it's really all about having a take. It doesn't matter if you have any reason to care -- you're just supposed to have an opinon, and state it repeatedly and passionately, as if you should care.

Simply having an opinion is a value in itself. Doesn't matter if the opinion is informed or relevant. Conformity to social mores used to be noted by silent acquiesence. Now, thanks to sports talk radio, among other things, conformity requires active complicity.

Didja hear that TO is not a team player? Or that Ricky is selfish and stupid for smoking Josh Gordon? When you get a chance to show the world you're right, and you have splattered brains on the road to prove your point, you gotta jump on that bandwagon. I mean, think of the children. That's why Terry Bradshaw, one of the stupidest men on earth, has been quoted for the past 24 hours as if he's some kind of prophet.

Helmets are good, and should always be worn, and people who don't agree with that are very, very stupid. Big Ben did not conform, and so he is selfish and evil, and is now paying the price for non-conformity. But, we still love him, because you should love the sinner and hate the sin. Check.

You should introduce yourself to MikeTice, he is also a proud non-conformist. Isn't calling Terry Bradshaw one of the stupidest men on earth conforming to public opinion ? :D

First, let me say I hope the young man suffers no permanent disability.

BUT,

If you don't ride a mc (and mc does not stand for Mc Donalds :D ) your opinion is not worth very much.

I have ridden many miles and many yrs. , Helmets, IMO take away from the pleasure of motorcycling ; period. (Big ole neck cramp from the wind ) They DO protect you from head injury. They ALSO take away your hearing and peripheral vision. They also have been attributed to making neck injuries worse in minor accidents.

Just some food for thought for the critics.

That being said, he was not on a poker run on the backroads with 50 other bikes, he was riding in very heavy traffic. He should have taken every precaution to protect himself and his future.

The ricers as a group IMO ride WAY to fast for their own good, we called them organ donors when I was in the EMS field. Way to easy to hit 100mph +, especially for a young rider.

Oh yeah , and the refs that worked the SB were obviously paid off. :D

His point was, an inexperienced young rider on a crotch rocket is a bad mix. They are very fast and for someone who doesn't fully have control and confidence, they are a disaster waiting to happen. I have been riding since I was 16 and some of the things I see these guys on sport bikes do is just totally assinine.

Wearing a helmet is a personal decision in PA, Ben made the wrong choice.

Yet Roth was clearly an, at least somewhat, experienced rider who had an accident regardless of the fact that he was being a cautious "young rider on a crotch rocket". It's like that commercial with the girl who gets out of her car with her keys between her knuckles for protection, watches her surroundings, locks up her apartment behind her then lights up a cigarette when she gets home. My point was that you can be as "safe" as you want to be riding any bike and from what we've been told Ben was a cautious rider, but all that goes out the window(no pun intended) when someone pulls out in front of you. Again, it's not the type of bike that's unsafe, it's the rider. To not wear a helmet should definately be the riders decision, but like the smoker chick, it's going to catch up with you one day if you don't.

Yet Roth was clearly an, at least somewhat, experienced rider who had an accident regardless of the fact that he was being a cautious "young rider on a crotch rocket". It's like that commercial with the girl who gets out of her car with her keys between her knuckles for protection, watches her surroundings, locks up her apartment behind her then lights up a cigarette when she gets home. My point was that you can be as "safe" as you want to be riding any bike and from what we've been told Ben was a cautious rider, but all that goes out the window(no pun intended) when someone pulls out in front of you. Again, it's not the type of bike that's unsafe, it's the rider. To not wear a helmet should definately be the riders decision, but like the smoker chick, it's going to catch up with you one day if you don't.

More than or at least even with the no helmet thing is that he also wasn't aware of his surroundings. The eye witness says he just sailed through the intersection like he didn't see the car cutting him off. This is what I mean about inexperience. Riding in the city requires you to be very defensive and aware. Caution at every intersection, looking for some nice old lady that doesn't see you. When I was youger, I thought or actually didn't think about that stuff. Now I am totally aware of everything around me because thes are the things that can kill me.

I'm not sure that I am missing anything.

Sure, we all have opinions. But some of them are a bit dramatic:

He's an SOB

He's selfish

He's an idiot (that one not so much)

I'm praying for the guy (" " " " ")

I'm pissed off

I'm angry

Seems kinda silly to me to get all worked up about someone that you don't know, is all.

You should introduce yourself to MikeTice, he is also a proud non-conformist. Isn't calling Terry Bradshaw one of the stupidest men on earth conforming to public opinion ? :D

And just for clarification, Bradshaw is not all that dumb. That is his act.

Some around here might not like this but I think it's one of the funniest things I've seen/read here yet. :D

Now that he appears to be o.k., the jokes don't bother me at all, and that one was at least a little bit funny.

You would think he would also have his helmet to hide his celebrity status. If I was Ben I would have it just so I would not be bugged by everyone on the street. Or what if there is some crazy fan who hates me, now he knows I’m on a bike and he can really hurt me.

Seems kinda silly to me to get all worked up about someone that you don't know, is all.

When you are a fan of a team, you tend to have a connection with the players of that team. Do I know Ben Roethlisberger personally, no. However, he is a key player on a team that I root for with a lot of passion, so when he or any other memeber of that team gets injured, yes, it affects me.

Sure, we all have opinions. But some of them are a bit dramatic:

He's an SOB

He's selfish

He's an idiot (that one not so much)

I'm praying for the guy (" " " " ")

I'm pissed off

I'm angry

As I said...

Furd: at least for me, the issue is not whether I know him or his loved ones. The issue is that I am a fan of the defending Superbowl Championship team of which he is a key player, and due to his stupid choice, the team's season, as well as the boost the Steelers give this city (financially and psychologically), have been unnecessarily jeopardized because of that stupid choice. The situation is certainly one that warrants extended discussion on a football web site.