[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Am I an Idiot?

Bengal Mania

at ten minutes to one I'm checking the Sunday injury recap on my pda, and I notice my opponents RB Duece McAllister was made inactive at last minute.

This is a league of co-workers, so I'm feeling like a nice guy (don't want to win w/ that way), so I call the guy (who's at the Bengals game, [he shoulda stayed home}) and tell him if he wants to make a change he needs to email or call commish. He emails to put Travis Henry in place of Duece, and thus gets 13 more points for Henry.

We end up tied 92-92.

the part that really makes me think I shoulda just let it go is the sting I felt later when Westbrook plays only one series and gets yanked. (I had traded for Benson earlier in the season for the sole possibility of playing in a week 17 Superbowl. That woulda worked out had I been smart enough to do it0

At least I tied, and should (I think) split the SB money. So it doesn't bother me that much......at least I think it doesn't

Week 17 Superbowls do suck, but my GM decisions suck worse. (I made the wrong Favre vs. Vick QB choice in 10 out of 15 weeks not counting byes!)

You made the right call, literally and figuratively. Of course now that you've tied it doesn't seem so but you're a better person for doing that, especially if it is a league involving close friends.

I don't think anybody would have called me if I had been in that guy's situation... part of being a good FF owner is taking responsibility for starting the right players each week, and if the guy isn't paying attention on the morning of his Championship game, then he deserves to start someone who is a last minute scratch.

I'm pretty sure I would not have called.

I don't think anybody would have called me if I had been in that guy's situation... part of being a good FF owner is taking responsibility for starting the right players each week, and if the guy isn't paying attention on the morning of his Championship game, then he deserves to start someone who is a last minute scratch.

I'm pretty sure I would'nt have either. It's my responsibility to manage my team, not everyone else's team.

Sorry but although it was a nice gesture I never wouldve made that call. They chatter all week was the saints may rest some players..He shouldve had Henry in there in the first place..Part of strategy in FF is risk..He risked starting a player that was documented as a guy that may be rested and you took the risk away by letting him off the hook..No chance I make that call..

I don't think "+1" fully captures how much I agree with this post. :D

Sorry but although it was a nice gesture I never wouldve made that call. They chatter all week was the saints may rest some players..He shouldve had Henry in there in the first place..Part of strategy in FF is risk..He risked starting a player that was documented as a guy that may be rested and you took the risk away by letting him off the hook..No chance I make that call..

I agree completely. I like fair play and all but not that much. :D

Your lack of cutthroat decision was worse...lol.

I guess I have to admit I did something simular this year. The last QB my buddy had was Brad Johnson (McNabb was his #1). He was swamped at work and didn't know Johnson was getting benched week16 so I called and let him know so he could bring Leinart up from his Taxi Squad. I still killed him but I didn't want any excuses from him or anyone else.

Bengal Mania, you did make a nice gesture, and I'm not going to criticize you. That said, I'm with Savage Beatings on this. I never would have called him. I manage my teams and nobody elses. I picked up a cheapie win in a situation like this earlier in the year. I was winning by ten points and my players were done. My opponent had Westbrook, who was a late scratch for a Monday night game. He had Buckhalter and could have made a switch, but he didn't hear Westy was out until it was too late. I never thought about calling him. I hate to win like that, but running his team is his job.

Would you have called "any" of the coaches in the league? I had a similar dilema some years ago and the guy I was playing against was a close friend while others in the league are not. I decided I would not call most of the guys so I didn't call him either. Now, I made no mention of the fact I noticed his error. I'm also the commish of the league which influenced my decision...but not much. I agree with whoever said, they can't coach other teams so make it a universal policy.

Is the other guy your boss?

Don't let us be hearing that next year you will be tucking him into bed. Nice jesture but it is his job to manage his team. At the most I might have called him a few minutes before kickoff to listen to him scramble to get to the computer before the line-ups are locked knowing he couldn't make it. :D

The Niners didn't call Holmgren when Desmond Howard failed to be on the field. I used to make those calls too but if you want to win you should be responsible for your team. Often the guy you are helping is too lazy to pay attention.

I agree w/ all of you who said I shouldn't have done it. (well, mostly)

I kind felt like I shouldn't have, that's why I posted. At least tying eases the feeling that I screwed up. It's a money league, but not major dollars. It is a friendly league with co-workers, but I agree w/ the idea that everyone needs to manage their own team.

I regretted it at soon as I saw Westbrook hit the bench after one series and 2 points. If he had been deactivated at last minute, I would've lost by 2 points, and I was also in no position to make a change to Benson (I had traded for Benson feeling he'd play a lot at end). Naturally, when I set my lineup, I never dreamed the Cowboys would lose to Detroit, so Westbrook was a great play....

I like to be a "good guy", but I don't think I would do this again. I had a weak moment.....

....I still have braggin rights, because I won WAY more money than anyone else in league.