[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Send Prayers

MikesVikes

Thanks for all the kind words.

Here's an update....

The whole family was together today so he wouldn't have to tell his story several times by phone. My brother has 8 lesions on his brain. That's alot. With no treatment at all, they gave him 2 months. He's going to Iowa City for a second opinion but will probably begin radiation treatment within a week or sooner. It will be radiation of the entire head area and not just focused on each of the lesions since there are probably more smaller lesions around the area from what what seen on the scans. With so many lesions, it kind of eliminates many of the treatment options that exist. Several years back, he had melanoma skin cancer. This is probably the primary source of the brain cancer.

Since it's been several days since he's learned about this, he's had some time to deal with it and is handling it very well. So there were as many laughs as tears today.

He's the type of guy that is always the life of a party and is a real stand up guy. He mentioned that instead of traveling to Germany or do whatever he could do, he'd rather spend time with all of us since that is what he really enjoys. Such as times we've had at Christmas or the times the we go camping as a family. He mentioned that several times.

Edited by MikesVikes

He mentioned that instead of traveling to Germany or do whatever he could do, he'd rather spend time with all of us since that is what he really enjoys. Such as times we've had at Christmas or the times the we go camping as a family. He mentioned that several times.

Camping or doing something together as a family sounds like a wonderful idea. If the worst happens, at least your family can take solice in the fact that you made him happy. Sheez, I can't imagine what you're going through. Once again, my thoughts and prayers are with your brother and your family.

Sorry to hear this MV...you have my prayers.

I take it he's already been up here?

Nope. He says that his insurance won't cover up here and even if he did come up here, he'd hear the same thing anyway. He lives closer to Mason City so he was there first.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE

My brother went to U of Iowa for a second opinion. He went through the testing and while he was driving home they called him back and told him to hold off on his radiation therapy. They said that it could possibly be MS instead of brain cancer. If it is MS and they did radiation therapy back home as planned, it could have been a disaster.

So now a month has passed and my brother still doesn't know for sure what he has and they haven't treated him for anything. He needs to see an advanced Neuro-oncologist and there isn't one close to him or in Iowa City for that matter. He wants to come up to the Mayo clinic but that is out of his insurance network and he'd need to pay for it out of his own pocket. He'd prefer to do that instead of going to Northwestern, which is in his network.

Edited by MikesVikes

My brother went to U of Iowa for a second opinion. He went through the testing and while he was driving home they called him back and told him to hold off on his radiation therapy. They said that it could possibly be MS instead of brain cancer. If it is MS and they did radiation therapy back home as planned, it could have been a disaster.

That is nuts! I really hope this all works out. Thank goodness they got in touch with him before his next treatment.

So, let me ask you this question (and maybe some other Huddlers would know)... which diagnosis would be more welcome the brain cancer or the MS? I mean I know the brain cancer sounds a lot more scary, but it also sounds like there would be at least a possibility of treating it. I've heard that MS can be extremely difficult to live with as it advances. Sorry, not trying to be a downer or anything... I'm just wondering what you guys hope it will turn out to be.

My continued prayers are with you!

MV - :D sorry to hear about your brother...sounds like a great guy who is going to be strong for those around him...hang in there...I will be thinking about you and him and your families in the weeks to come. Camping and spending time with family and friends says alot about your brother and what is important to him...hope you all build special memories this summer. (hug)

That is nuts! I really hope this all works out. Thank goodness they got in touch with him before his next treatment.

So, let me ask you this question (and maybe some other Huddlers would know)... which diagnosis would be more welcome the brain cancer or the MS? I mean I know the brain cancer sounds a lot more scary, but it also sounds like there would be at least a possibility of treating it. I've heard that MS can be extremely difficult to live with as it advances. Sorry, not trying to be a downer or anything... I'm just wondering what you guys hope it will turn out to be.

My continued prayers are with you!

Good question. Nobody likes MS or not have all of their faculties, but it's better than the alternative. Actually the alternative could have the same results as MS with the limitations that it imposes on you. The type of cancer that he has is hardly ever operable so that is an extra negative.

Good question. Nobody likes MS or not have all of their faculties, but it's better than the alternative. Actually the alternative could have the same results as MS with the limitations that it imposes on you. The type of cancer that he has is hardly ever operable so that is an extra negative.

I hope they discover what it is and soon. And just to let you know that your brother and family is still on my prayer list. Please keep us informed. Sounds like your brother is a wonderful person and I'm praying for the best. Hang in there!