[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is it ok to pray for someone to die?

keggerz

I hope for a very peaceful ending/beginning for your grandmother. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and the rest of the family to be strong through this tough, trying time.

By praying for her death, it's not as if you are wishing harm upon her. You love her and want what's best for her. God can understand that.

When I'm faced with a tough or confusing situation where it's hard to know what to pray for, I usually ask God for a resolution that will have the greatest effect of bringing glory to His name. I would imagine that your Grandmother finding peace in death would probably do just that for everyone involved.

Are you a priest, deacon or just someone very religious?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am i the same boat here, She has no memories of anyone anymore. She had a zeroe blood sugar leveland her blood pressure is verrry low.. I an thinking she will be better off.

It's not only ok, but I feel it's a duty to end suffering. That may sound strange, but I see nothing wrong with it. Peace to you and your family.

That is right where I stand. I watched my mother die a four year long death from lung cancer. The last two years of her life had me, a 13,14 year old, changing her diaper. It had me giving her morphine shots as well as shots to control her blood sugar. Had I been a little more mature and better able to deal with the fact that my mother would be better off gone I would have given her all the morphine that we had in the house at once. Those last two years were nothing that I would ever want to see another person go though. My mother was way to special to have had to suffer like that and if I had the chance to do it over.......

Now I must wipe my eyes and blow my nose.

Edited by Skippy

Sorry to hear that Keg. :D You have every right to feel that way. My father and I talked about this very subject when my grandfather went downhill over the course of years to the point that we felt the same way. RIP

I'm very sorry keg (and NSab). It is frustrating to watch a loved one decline in front of you, especially when you have so many memories of her strength and vitality. You're not praying for her death; you are praying for her peace and I'm sure she's aware of it and loves you for it.

Keg,

The second to the last time I saw my grandmother she said to me: "I pray every day for God to come take me". The last I saw her she didn't know who I was. There is no shame or guilt in wishing for her to be at peace and in a better place. Prayers to you and yours brother.

Keg

Please do not feel that you are wrong to pray for your grandmother's death. You are really only praying for her well being. That is certainly not wrong. May she find peace.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Hardrocker

Keg, like many others who have posted before me have said, there is nothing wrong with praying for a quick, painless, dignified passing for your grandmother. Condolences to you and your family.

I'm very sorry keg (and NSab). It is frustrating to watch a loved one decline in front of you, especially when you have so many memories of her strength and vitality. You're not praying for her death; you are praying for her peace and I'm sure she's aware of it and loves you for it.

+1 and prayers sent out for both of you.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their kind words, thoughts and prayers...

last nite at 2:11am my grandmother peacefully passed away(my dad and step mom were with her)...she passed away on my grandfathers(her husband) bday...believe it or not last nite was the first night that I actually prayed for god to let her pass away peacefully...she will be missed but never forgotten...again I thank everyone for their support.

Sincerely,

Steve

Keg, after years of working with families in hospice, I came to believe that people die when it's their time and not before. It's very hard on the family -- and often on the dying person -- waiting for that time to come. I think that your feelings about praying for her end of life signalled a readiness to accept her death. It's a hard place to reach. I wish you and your family the best as you mourn the loss of your grandmother.