[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need advice and prayers ASAP.

Swampnuts

Bad news in the Swamp family. My father who lives in Idaho just had a heart attack yesterday and he's got to have triple bypass surgery tomorrow. I'm his only child and I live across the country. My problem is that I'm supposed to start a new job at 0900 tomorrow morning! I have no idea what I'm going to do, and I have almost zero time to decide. Any advice and prayers would be greatly appreciated. Swamp

Any employer worth their salt will completely understand this kind of situation. Make every effort to get in touch with your direct supervisor (even find their home number and use it today) and then without hesitation or regret you get on a plane and be there for your Dad.

Oh, and I will be praying for your Dad. :D

Edited by Savage Beatings

Yikes! :D

And you were looking forward to this job, as you football viewing times would be freed.

Taking time off before you are established and on day one may be troublesome. Would they understand for a true family emergency, or is it an position of that being unknown at this point?

Anyways, in my prayers.

Any employer worth their salt will completely understand this kind of situation. Make every effort to get in touch with your direct supervisor (even find their home number and use it today) and then without hesitation or regret you get on a plane and be there for your Dad.
There are plenty of jobs, how many dads do you have?

I agree with these guys.

whoopazz makes a great point as well - it's all well and good for businesses to put forth the whole "family first" stuff, but in most cases I think that's total lip service. If you are starting work for one of the companies that stands by that, good for you and them. If not, f*ck them.

Oh, and I will be praying for your Dad. :D

Sage advice indeed. As a manager, I always grant people this kind of time off - how much use would you be at work anyway with this on your mind? Besides that, it is just the right thing to do.

Best wishes to you and your dad.

If you need to be with your father, you hope that a company (no matter how new you are) can repsect this. If they don't, it may not be comapny that you want to work for. Of course, if it's your dream job and you cannot take the risk of being fired, that may change the situation.

Talk to the new employer about the situation to feel them out and look at what your heart is saying about this.

And best wishes to you and your father.

Edited by TDFFFreak

Thanks for all the advice, you guys confirmed what I was feeling. I spoke to a friend who works for my new company and he hooked me up with a supervisor that I've already met with. He told me to go and have no worries.

I just spoke with my dad and he has to have a 5 way bypass surgery tomorrow. I can't get there in time for the surgery, but I'll be there by tomorrow night. So I'm going to report to my new job in the morning and leave after lunch to make the flight. Thanks again to all for the prayers and advice.

Thanks for all the advice, you guys confirmed what I was feeling. I spoke to a friend who works for my new company and he hooked me up with a supervisor that I've already met with. He told me to go and have no worries.

I just spoke with my dad and he has to have a 5 way bypass surgery tomorrow. I can't get there in time for the surgery, but I'll be there by tomorrow night. So I'm going to report to my new job in the morning and leave after lunch to make the flight. Thanks again to all for the prayers and advice.

That's great...

My MIL had bypass a few years ago and is doing great! Best of luck to your Pops!

I know you want to try and make a good impression by going to work for half a day tomorrow, but what frame of mind are you going to be in? When my dad had his first heart attack I had to collect my sh*t in the break room before I could even think about driving. So be careful and pay attention to the road if/when you drive. Something like this can be very distracting to say the least. And prayers sent for your dad and your safe trip.

Tough call, but I agree w/ most if not all of the above. Prayers and best wishes coming at you, your dad, and your family.

Please keep us informed.

Edit for:

You made the best choice!

Edited by rocknrobn26

I'm pretty sure he's flying, Jax. And maybe you can get some reading material from them, Swamp. You'll probably have a lot of sitting around time while your Dad sleeps. Once you get there, see your Dad and take a long, deep breath....it might help pass the time and steer your mind toward something else for small snippits of time. :D

Safe trip and prayers for your Dad!! Really hoping all goes well for you both!!

(And big Congrats to the new job.) :D