[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What do you like/hate about your home?

wiegie

I was all fired up about having 9' ceilings in my house.

What a waste of money that turned out to be. It's one of those things that sounds/looks good on paper but isn't worth it. Course if it comes with a house, fine, and IMO the extra $ to heat/cool your house is minimal, but if you decide to build, don't do it.

I suspect the ceilings CD had in mind are more along the lines of the two-story type that are so popular these days.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect the ceilings CD had in mind are more along the lines of the two-story type that are so popular these days.

Yep.

I get calls every week from people who cannot heat/cool these types of houses and complain about their high utility bills. But the vaulted ceilings and lots of glass are killers for making your house comfortable.

Location is key for me.

The one thing I hate about my house is that it's pretty old so a majority of the walls are plaster and the outlets are all 2 prong except for the new finished areas. The downside on our location is that my wife wants a new house in the same area which will run me almost 3 times what I'm currently in.

Oh well, gotta keep her happy.

Location is key for me.

The one thing I hate about my house is that it's pretty old so a majority of the walls are plaster and the outlets are all 2 prong except for the new finished areas. The downside on our location is that my wife wants a new house in the same area which will run me almost 3 times what I'm currently in.

I'm thinking alimony and child support may be cheaper for you.

I've built both houses I've owned and still haven't gotten it right. I think if I build 2 or 3 more, I might manage to get it right. Most important thing is a location you enjoy. That's the one thing you can't ever change. And size...get as big a piece of property as you can. Nothing like not having neighbors too close for me. The rest you can fix. And get the 3-car garage. :D

Main thing I screwed up with my current one was too small of a laundry room. I didn't even think about that space for some reason. And a competent builder. My builder sucked more than anyone has ever sucked before. Check him out and run if you get any bad impressions. :D

Location is key for me.

Out of curiosity, did you ever get a contractor bid on updating the wiring / modern outlets? I wonder how much a project like that would run.

Location, location, location.

Mile off the ocean (N), quarter mile off a major river basin (E), mile off major freeway (S).

Golf course takes up most of the land between me and the ocean (quiet).

major shopping and food amenities about 5 miles south (beyond the freeway).

2000 sq ft with 3 bedrooms

Huge front room windows, vaulted ceilings

450 ft deck with cable TV connection for entertaining, french double doors open onto the deck

office with french double door entry (with remote control shades for the window)

kitchen with marble countertops, stainless steel appliances, super hot water spout, and good size island

RV parking with hot and cold water spouts for washing vehicles

over a quarter acre lot, landscaped with sprinkler system

patio in the front and in the back. large yard front and back, good size storage shed

skylights help save $$ on energy

wood floors, except bedrooms

no sidewalk on property, people/pets walk on the other side of the street.

Dislikes:

2 car garage that isn't quite long enough to fit a Durango into it. have to park it outside.

garage is cold as heck, loft/storage area above garage doesn't have the most stable flooring either

it's a single story house, so pushing heat/AC to the far corners is a chore for the system

ceilings and skylights can be too high when spring cleaning or painting

no fireplace

walk in closet too small for all the woman's things.

soaking tub instead of a jacuzzi

no medicine cabinet in the bathroom

mailbox is a block away

Edited by Riffraff

Grand Rapids MI or MN?.

We have a great home, but of all things, I wish I had a screened in patio or deck. Also , we are on a cul-de-sac which is awesome...no traffic whatsoever. I also have tons of tall pines on my 3/4 acre lot which I loved at first, but what a mess they make. I would much prefer more open space with fewer trees or just all hardwoods. I'm fixin' to spend big bucks this year getting rid of many of the pines close to the house (they come down real easy in hurricanes or other major storms). We have a walk in attic which is great for storage (no basements in NC), and also I particularly like the second floor laundry.

I've built both houses I've owned and still haven't gotten it right. I think if I build 2 or 3 more, I might manage to get it right. Most important thing is a location you enjoy. That's the one thing you can't ever change. And size...get as big a piece of property as you can. Nothing like not having neighbors too close for me. The rest you can fix. And get the 3-car garage. :D

Main thing I screwed up with my current one was too small of a laundry room. I didn't even think about that space for some reason. And a competent builder. My builder sucked more than anyone has ever sucked before. Check him out and run if you get any bad impressions. :D

We have a laundry closet on the second story with the bedrooms. It holds the washer, dryer, and other laundry things. I'd rather send out the laundry like we used to do in college.

Just make sure that the location of your dream home is high and dry. This sounds crazy, but you may want to go looking during a thunderstorm or downpour. It would suck to get all moved in and find that you are on the downside of a hill.

Like Kid Cid, I live in a smaller home. It's good enough for me. The location is outstanding and the values of the homes keep going up. A couple blocks away are houses that get flooded during thunderstorms. My house was built in the 50s and it is solid, as the inspector told me when I was buying. Not enough closet space and small bedrooms. Wish I had a 2-car garage. I do have a single car garage that I keep my bike in. Used to hate the slash pines in the backyard as they would sway like hell during storms. The woodbores took care of that problem this past summer. An expense I was not prepared for. Would love to eventually have a screened inground pool and I hope to have that by the time I retire.

Make sure your house is not located on a thru-way, or a street people use to cut through avoiding the busy roads. My house is high and dry and also came with a well and pump, which was a very nice surprise. I need to totally till up the front yard and put new sod down this spring as the yard is beyond repair. I wish I had a carport added onto the garage as this large birch tree dumps all kinds of crap on the vehicles in the driveway. The tree is nice though and gives off lot of shade.

What I Like About My House:

Every day when I come home from work a scantily clad vixon meets me at the door with a "comehither" look and a body that just won't quit!

I usually leave right before that

one thing i would add as far as buying an older house....it was a huge "pro" to me knowing that the previous owners had lived there 30 years, and were clearly the type who were very proactive as far as getting repairs when needed, keeping the electricity to code, keeping storage areas clean, etc. it's still an old house so you know there will be "issues" (like we had to replace a section of drain pipe under the basement floor last year), but in some ways it's like buying a used car -- pay attention to who you are buying from.

Unless the person was a do-it yourselfer. The previous owner of my house was. He was good but anything involving the wiring is difficult because nobody can understand how the guy's mind worked. If there isn't a quick fix around here, it get's re-wired.

Like jax said, KNOW YOUR FLOOD ZONES.

My house was built in 1954 or 1957. From both an environmental and financial standpoint I wish it were much more energy efficient. But I wish it had been a bigger priority to me. We probably made some cosmetic changes bought it and if I had a time machine we'd have used that money to upgrade in the heating/cooling/electricity use areas. Seems like you can make cosmetic upgrades nickle and diming it until you get it just right but the efficency upgrade require bank up front.

Good luck.

Might want to consider a concrete / cement driveway in good condition to make it easier to clear the snow.

I've had both and prefer asphalt. You can salt it when needed w/ no worries of spalling , if you face the west the driveway w/ thin layers of snow and ice will clear it self pretty well even if it's below freezing, and if you have a good base and coat it every year or 2 it will last quite a long time plus it's cheaper to replace.

Nothing new to add, but some reinforcements:

GOOD SCHOOLS!!!!!!! Even if the taxes are higher. The $$$ payoff comes when you sell. The "living there" payoff is obvious.

Dishwasher/Garbage disposal

2 or larger car garage

4 BR/2.5 baths minimum, based on your future usage

eat-in kitchen or nook. Saves wear and tear on dining room

Family Room or finished basement

City sewer and water

In an older house at least 100 amp, 200 is better, electrical service, w/ conduit vs romex, and GFCI's. In other words a house up to code.

1 to 2 blocks min. from noisy streets/hiways, etc.

Decent landscaping as re-doing is $$$ and back breaking.

Decent storage, sheds are great, pull down ladder access to attic is a big plus.

A utility room near the bedrooms as opposed to basement. Big plus....just ask my wife!

Gas appliances

Try to stay away from slab homes

A park nearby is nice

500 sf patio or deck

Good Luck, wieg!