[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Here is an idea

isleseeya

Lets find better match up for thanksgiving day games ... i know det and Dallas playing are traditions but some traditions could use a change or be broken

Let dallas face a divisonal team and batter match up next Thanksgiving and so forth and lets give detroit a break from playing on Thanksgiving at least until they field a team that can compete

watching these two games was painful today ( especially the Detroit game ) ...i almost lost my apetitie ( ok thats not true ) but the first game was horrible from a football fan prespective and this 2nd one with dallas and seattle is not much better

lets give detroit a break from playing on Thanksgiving at least until they field a team that can compete

So, your plan is that my as yet unborn great-grandchild will be the next member of my family to have the chance to see the Lions play on Thanksgiving Day?

:wacko:

I like the Det - Dallas thing on thanksgiving. Maybe have Dallas always play Washington? Not sure how you could make it a sure good matchup on Tday unless you allows the NFL to move a Sunday game to Thursday.

Although having NE season tix it would def be cool to go to a game on thanksgiving. But I say stay with tradition. JMO

Sorry, but I'm a stickler for tradition here. How do you know the Lions won't turn things around and have a good season next season? No, really! They were 6-2 to start last season.... :wacko:

I think Detroit usually covers on tday if you look back at history.

I like the Det - Dallas thing on thanksgiving. Maybe have Dallas always play Washington? Not sure how you could make it a sure good matchup on Tday unless you allows the NFL to move a Sunday game to Thursday.

Way back when I think Det traditionally matched up against GB on Thanksgiving.

Yeah I did stir the pot a little with this thread ...I too have enjoyed tradition of the games played today with det and dallas .... Today was a masacre but there is no way to know how teams will fare when they make schedule ahead of time as was stated

Hoping philly and arizona will be a good game

What's funny is if you look at it, people say they want to see a "good" game. Well, the NFL should stick Det against Cincy or whomever the weakest sister on their schedule looks to be that year; it the Det game isn't "good" at least it can be "competitive."

Because, really, we DID see "good" football. The Titans and Cowboys both played VERY well. It's just that their opponents were heinous. At least Seattle was competing for most of the game.

I like the tradition...this is basically the only time in the entire NFL season that the rest of the nation gets the chance to witness what is the Detroit Lions...in fact, that's how it started back in the 30's when Detroit's first owner figured that was probably the only way he could ever get anybody to watch a Lions game...

Long live tradition... :wacko:

It's funny - a guy at at the house I went to for tksgiving said the same thing ("they should rotate this - these games suck")

My response was "28 yrs ago I was 10 and I watched Detroit and Dallas. 18 yrs ago I was 20 and I watched Detroit and Dallas. 8 yrs ago I was 30 and I watched Detroit and Dallas. You want to screw up my 40th Thanksgiving?"

Look, would it have been better had it worked out that instead of Detroit it was Pittsburgh - hell yea....but it's not, and it's a terrific tradition. The night game is a great addition (especially with Philly going off), but I like how it is and don't want some crapola rotating sponsored by Perdue thing - keep it as is.

Seattle was suppose to be a good team from all the preseason talk and then they went to crap as the season progressed. There are always around 5 teams (5 top and 5 bottom) that end up playing way better than expected and the other 5 blowing chunks. Dallas (preseason talk) was just suppose to be given the #1 seed into the NFC Championship game because they were head and shoulders better than anyone else.

Lets find better match up for thanksgiving day games ... i know det and Dallas playing are traditions but some traditions could use a change or be broken

Let dallas face a divisonal team and batter match up next Thanksgiving and so forth and lets give detroit a break from playing on Thanksgiving at least until they field a team that can compete

watching these two games was painful today ( especially the Detroit game ) ...i almost lost my apetitie ( ok thats not true ) but the first game was horrible from a football fan prespective and this 2nd one with dallas and seattle is not much better

I agree.

From a business perspective, I bet the ratings were terrible for this game. My brother-in-law and I went to play Madden '08 instead of watching the game because it was so pathetic. BTW, he won 69-64.

At the time, Detroit was the only willing team to have a shortened week, and play every Thxgiving, now that it's become something, now the rest want in. Keep the tradition.

Another factor is that they are always a home team. 20 or so years ago, they tried to have the Packers always as the visiting team to Detroit. Being a short week, they did not want the annual disadvantage of this so they tried a compromise of doing that if the home team alternated every year, but the Lions objected to that so it stands as it has before.

And I would say keep Detroit and Dallas for traditions also. I'd like to see them both play division opponents, but that wouldn't work with the networks. One of them has to face an AFC team every year so Fox can get a game. Damn TV networks! :wacko:

other way around -- either detroit or dallas has to face an AFC team so that CBS can air one of the games (whichever conference the road team belongs to dictates which network gets the game). so dallas could face a division opponent every other year, but not every year.

The NFL actually tried deviating from this way back when. I think Detroit has played on Thanksgiving since like the 30's, so I would hate to be the guy charged with changing one of the longest running traditions in professional sports. Back in the 70's, the NFL scheduled two Thanksgiving games in St. Louis instead of Dallas. Ratings were down and the games were bad, and the NFL correctly decided that the Dallas tradition is probably the best option. Here's to hoping they don't decide to schedule turkey day games in St. Louis for quite some time to come!!

I considered the thought that the games on Thanksgiving day would be more meaningful if they were divisional match ups ... but I can't see any divisional opponent signing up for a road game to a divisional opponent every year on a short week. No way does Washington / New York / Philadelphia agree to a annual road trip to Dallas on Thanksgiving.

As a Cowboy fan I like the Cowboys playing on Thanksgiving.

Detroit hasn't been worth watching on any day for more than several years ... let alone on Thanksgiving. I turned this game off at half time as I am sure most others did.

I'm not quite sure how you can ensure the games on Thanksgiving are competitive or entertaining any more than you they can do it on Monday night.