[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For the NFC title game - Vikes / Saints

MustOfBeenDrunk

Difference of opinion. I do think that if you don't want the opposing team to run it up, then it's your job to stop them. If you can't do it legally, then take a cheap shot.

But I do think class comes into play when the game is a blowout and there is no need to throw the ball. Defend it if you will, that's your choice. Jimmy Johnson agrees with you.

I agree (that it's a matter of opinion), and probably wouldn't have even responded, if not for the fact that I'm a little pissed off right now. :wacko:

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple more thoughts before I try to take my mind off this... I forgot to give the MN defense props for the way they played today. To say that they made Brees and company look mediocre today would be a drastic understatement. To be honest, as great as Favre played for 59 minutes, it was the defense that kept us in the game, in the midst of all of those turnovers. A big :D to the entire defense, especially Greenway, Leber, Edwards, Brinkley, the Williams "Wall", and Allen (didn't put up big numbers, but him taking on at least two blockers on every single play is what allowed guys like Edwards to pressure Brees as much as they did).

Secondly, how weird is it that the first FG attempt in this game was the one that ended it? :wacko:

I feel bad for Phat Pat, Kevin Williams and the boys...They played their hearts out. Is it true they only gave up 12 1st downs??

I would say the turnovers were 99.9% the reason we lost. Lets look at the fumble before the half. If they would not have lost it, it would have been 3 points or maybe 7. The next crucual fumble was Harvins. They turned that into 7 points. So now we are at a 10 or maybe 14 point point swing towards the Saints. The third fumble was Berrians at the twenty yard line. Again there were moving the ball at will. That was another missed oppurtunity of 3 or maybe 7 points.

Let me say this once...anybody that blames anything other than the turnovers should have their head examined. You can't turn the ball over 5 times and fumble it two other times that could have resulted in turnovers and expect to win. The turnovers cost the Vikings 17 or maybe 21 lost points. Had they only turned the ball over once, Favre would have been kneeling down instead of throwing the interception.

I agree that TO's are the reason we lost, no question. But, no matter what else happened in that game, Favre making that mistake at that point in time, and under those circumstances, is inexcusable. And, given how I feel right now, I'll gladly be the first to have my head examined. :wacko:

I agree that TO's are the reason we lost, no question. But, no matter what else happened in that game, Favre making that mistake at that point in time, and under those circumstances, is inexcusable. And, given how I feel right now, I'll gladly be the first to have my head examined. :wacko:

This doesn't hurt that bad because you can't really pin it on one thing, one play or one player. I think they lost as a team although the defense may beg to differ, but they still gave up points as well.

Edited by Outshined

I feel bad for Phat Pat, Kevin Williams and the boys...They played their hearts out. Is it true they only gave up 12 1st downs??

I just looked at the box score... For the past 3+ hours, I was too sick to look, much less turn on any post-game crap on ESPN, etc. Just didn't feel like seeing any of it again, at least not tonight. The stats are pretty unbelievable, really:

First downs MIN 31 NO 15

3rd down MIN 7-12 NO 3-12

TOP MIN 34:07 NO 25:53

Total Net Yds MIN 475 NO 253

Total plays MIN 82 NO 55

Average Gain MIN 5.8 NO 4.7

Rush Yds MIN 165 NO 68

Yds/Rush MIN 4.6 NO 3.0

Pass Yds (Net) MIN 310 NO 189

What killed us:

Fumbles MIN 6 (3 lost) NO 3 (1 lost)

Red Zone Eff. MIN 4-6 (67%) NO 3-3 (100%)

Goal to Go Eff. MIN 3-4 (75%) NO 3-3 (100%)

INT MIN 2 NO 0

FG MIN 0-0 NO 1-1

I just looked at the box score... For the past 3+ hours, I was too sick to look, much less turn on any post-game crap on ESPN, etc. Just didn't feel like seeing any of it again, at least not tonight. The stats are pretty unbelievable, really:

First downs MIN 31 NO 15

3rd down MIN 7-12 NO 3-12

TOP MIN 34:07 NO 25:53

Total Net Yds MIN 475 NO 253

Total plays MIN 82 NO 55

Average Gain MIN 5.8 NO 4.7

Rush Yds MIN 165 NO 68

Yds/Rush MIN 4.6 NO 3.0

Pass Yds (Net) MIN 310 NO 189

What killed us:

Fumbles MIN 6 (3 lost) NO 3 (1 lost)

Red Zone Eff. MIN 4-6 (67%) NO 3-3 (100%)

Goal to Go Eff. MIN 3-4 (75%) NO 3-3 (100%)

INT MIN 2 NO 0

FG MIN 0-0 NO 1-1

Thats tough...goes to show they had a good game plan on both sides of the ball. Without the tunovers, I really believe we would have scored 40+ points.

agree on all counts. That front seven is downright scary. Did I read that Pat Williams was talking retirement early this season?

Yeah said he would retire if they made it to the bowl, not sure how much he has left and how many snaps he can play next year. I think he will be 38 this year.

Gopher - outstanding analysis as always. You omitted the 12 men in the huddle debacle on the last series. File under Chili.

I think that was the turning point of the game (outside fo the PI call). Had they just run a simple handoff with the personnel on the field for 1-2 yards towards the middle of the field, they try a 48-49 yard FG to win it. Instead, they try to get cute with substitution packages, get called for 12-men in the huddle, backing them out of FG range and leading to the fateful final Favre pass.

Simply inexcusible.

Great game both teams had shots to win it.

All year I have cheered hard against the Vikes but man I felt bad for Favre as soon as that kick went through. I have bashed him and the Vikings all year but Favre had an incredible year and is a phenomenal QB and it is amazing what he did this year.

I will continue to bash the Vikes because honestly it is kinda fun :wacko: but I have to give props to Favre this year. He did a ton for that team!!!

Great game both teams had shots to win it.

All year I have cheered hard against the Vikes but man I felt bad for Favre as soon as that kick went through. I have bashed him and the Vikings all year but Favre had an incredible year and is a phenomenal QB and it is amazing what he did this year.

I will continue to bash the Vikes because honestly it is kinda fun :D but I have to give props to Favre this year. He did a ton for that team!!!

I think hating the vikings is just good hating so I'm going to keep it up. Unfortunately, I kind of like both teams that are going to be in the SB. :wacko: I guess I'll have to put some money down so I have one side to cheer for.

I am with Gophers assesment on this game. The Vikings overcame the turnovers up to the bad pick. When you absorb the T.O's and are given a reprieve and the ball in the situation that Min had it in at the end of the game you have to put it away. The Favre pick was the dagger. If he hobbles for 5-7 yards , which he very easily could have done, you then have one of the best kickers in the league on deck to try and seal this game. I know the kick is no gaurantee , especially this year, but you at least had a shot to end it , even with all the missed opportunities leading up to that point.

Edited by whomper

Still no HughOne. He must be still vomiting.

No, I'm here, nice to see 1 Packer fan show some class, props gbpfan. :wacko:

I'll keep it simple. Turnovers are generally a sign of poor coaching. The 12 men in the huddle penalty is inexcusable. 5 turnovers are inexcusable. I stand by what I've said all along, the Vikes will not win with Childress as head coach. As to anyone complaining about the officiating, calls go both ways, and they didn't decide that game. I would also like to thank Brett Favre for an awesome year. The Vikes will take a HUGH step back and won't sniff the playoffs next season if he retires.

ETA: Congrats to the Saints and their fans, well deserved win, and good luck in the Super Bowl!!!

Edited by Hugh 0ne

My wife asked me at the beginning of the the game who I wanted to win. I told her I really didn't care. I said I'd like to see the Vikes win because of my man love for Favre, and because Adrian Peterson is from around here and I watched him some in high school and a college. I told her on the other hand I'd like to see the Saints win because well they are lot closer to geographically, the fact they've never been to the big game, and all the city of N.O. has been through.

By half time I was strongly in favor of the Vikings. The Saints defense is just dirty. We caught a glimpse of it against Arizona, but last night we really got to see it. There should have been at least 65 more yards in personal fouls against the defense.

I didn't have a dog in this fight, but I found myself rooting for the Vikings as the game was moving in the 4th quarter. Coming out of halftime tied, the Vikings imposed their will on both sides of the ball. They held the Saints' potent offense to some piddly yardage total in the entire second half (like 75 yards). It feels so dissatisfying as an NFL fan to see a team look as good as the Vikings did in the second half yet have a few sloppy, careless plays erase all of that dominance. And to think the Vikings are lucky there weren't more turnovers... I mean, the Saints players were too interested in trying to pick up the ball and run with it... Had they just dove and fallen on the ball, there's no way Peterson recovers the fumble he lost or the Vikes' fullback recovers that other fumble. But you have to credit the Saints for being opportunistic enough to cause those fumbles...

And speaking of turnovers, how can the coaches be blamed for that? What are they supposed to do? Remind their players to hold onto the ball? Show them how to secure the ball (as if a player hasn't seen that before)? I'd like to hear more from HughOne or anyone else as far as how turnovers are mainly the fault of coaches, because I have a hard time seeing it that way.

One thing I think might be a coaching issue - why did Childress put AP back in the game so quickly after his third fumble? I mean, Chester Taylor is no slouch. I just don't see how in the world he really truly could have felt comfortable with AP in the game at that point...

Great game to watch.

Congrats to the Vikes for a great season. Enjoy all the retirement talk in the offseason with Favre. (being a Packer fan you can enjoy the frustration now . .)

Vikes really should have won, but the Saints did their homework and did a GREAT job of going after the ball on almost every tackle. Turnovers killed the Vikes in a game where their offense was imposing their will on the Saints.

Favre not running for 5 yards and giving Longwell a chance to win it was a killer . . unfortunately that is part of the Favre package. A lot of savvy brilliant play mixed in with horrible turnovers in the worst possible time. He will bring you the edge of your seat with his play and toughness, and then make a boneheaded play that breaks your heart . . . the INT to Vilma was thrown into triple coverage off his back foot. Vintage Favre.

Saints defense was very opportunistic, and Saints/Colts will be a helluva game . . . .

it was yet another game this year where the saints just seemed to have fate on their side. the bounces, loose balls and important calls just seemed to break their way more than the other way. the vikes had some turnover opportunities, they just didn't take advantage like the saints did. seems like there were 3 or 4 potential INTs the vikes dropped, and some saints fumbles that just bounced right back to them. sometimes that's what it comes down to. that and some crucial mistakes by the vikings in their last offensive possession.

gotta give both defenses hugh props, even though the game was pretty high scoring. the saints for being opportunistic and getting to favre, and the vikes for really shutting down the high powered saints in the second half. both teams played well enough to win, and either would have been a worthy representative in the SB.