[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

When the end of the rope arrives....

Rovers

I know this group is a tough crowd, but here I go.

I don't know if this is a meesgae of hope, a lesson in detimination, realizing money isn't everthing or a self pat on the back... maybe a bit of each. But, it's my story. Take whatever shots you might. But it's a story of going from the end of a rope to having a productive, fullfilled and generally happy life change.

I've gone from Vietnam era vet, to electronic tech in the defense biz, to a six figure sales exec in that same market, to near destitute, to driving a subway train in NYC, and back to near destitution after an on the job injury and spinal fusion surgery. I could NOT get hired. I tried. Too old, over qualified, whatever.

My first love was always in the green industry. When I had no other options for employment, I started a landsacping company, turning to something I had always loved, making things grow. I had two years of formal training in horticulture, and I was finally about to put it to use. I walked miles and miles and delivered 1500 door hangers on foot. I had the blisters to prove it. I swore I'd make this work or die trying. I begged, borrowed but didn't steal to get the biz going. Family displayed great trust in my efforts finacially and emotionally. There is nothing as important as family.

Now in my third year, the biz is still growing. I have a full route, no room for new customers in a down economy. New truck, new trailer all signed up with my biz name and sure, still broke with all the new bills, but very happy. I get to design plantings for homes, I am my own boss, and while I don't come near the 6 figure plus income I once had, my life is far better now. I am blessed. I'm 55 and I can out work 22 year old kids. At my age, the stuff I am able to do physically in a near miracle I suppose, like taking 5 yards of top soil and spreading it all out with a wheelbarrel and shovel to level a lawn in one day by myself. I built this biz literally on my own back. I have no idiot boss. My customers appreciate my work... and when 2 of them didn't, and displayed disrespect for me and a lack of appreciation for my meticulous attention to detail, I fired them. They both regretted their mistake.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that doing something you have a passion for even if it means less income, at least for me, made my life so much better, finally, not hating the idea of going to work everyday, not putting up with some moran boss or organization and being gratified by the visable results of my work...I just wish I had done this when I was younger....but in my youth, I'm sure I would have screwed it up. It's never too late.

I renovate people's properties and make them look mint. When I renovate a lawn from seed or from sod, it's perfect. I never charge enough for my services. I don't care.I have had customers throw me an extra hundred because they know I have not charged them enough. How is that for restoring faith in the fact there are good perople left out there? It's the work I love, and the rewards it brings.

Just wanted to share my good fortune with others here. Don't be afraid to do what you have a passion for. I didn't learn that until my back was against the wall, and I was almost forced into this business. God has blessed me, I can do this work at my age, and my health has never been better. I guess I just wanted to tell people my story more than anything else. Maybe it's a "look at me" thread. I hope it's more than that.... if nothing else, if this is my life's work, I will leave my mark. The trees and shrubs I have planted will outlive me by many years.

Hoping this might be more than a drippy feel good story. It's never to late to realize a dream, no matter how humble it might be. OK, now take yer shots!

You're another testimony to having a job that you love. So many people hate their jobs. You've found something you really enjoy and will want to keep doing as long as you're healthy. That's very very important. Well done! :wacko:

You're another testimony to having a job that you love. So many people hate their jobs. You've found something you really enjoy and will want to keep doing as long as you're healthy. That's very very important. Well done! :lol:

What red blooded American Male wouldn't love to have your job Doc :tup:

:tup: Good on you as well Rovers :wacko:

:wacko: Congrats on sticking it out and not giving up.

I have to agree with the other comments made about having a job you love is more important than money. Right now I am stuck in a job that many would love because 90% of the day is spent on doing nothing. It sounds good but its boring and you don't feel a sense of accomplishment. Granted when work comes my way it can be enjoyable. I am just buying my time and working on making a move to a job I can enjoy.

Hope things continue well for you rovers. :tup:

Congrats!

I wish I could say I love what I do. I used too, but not so much anymore. It used to be fun and challenging, but now it seems like nothing more than a grind.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

At my age, the stuff I am able to do physically in a near miracle I suppose, like taking 5 yards of top soil and spreading it all out with a wheelbarrel and shovel to level a lawn in one day by myself.

I did exactly this 2 years ago in my backyard. It took me 3 days and my back was KILLING me. So, big time respect.

Oh, and the Jets are LOADED this year. :wacko:

I've known you and have been friends thru most of your trials and tribulations. We also had the same surgery and I thought that alone would keep you from being successful in your current vocation, as mine messed me up a bit. Man am I glad I was wrong!

Great post and keep it going.

My best to you my friend.

:wacko:

:tup: Great stuff . No shots here. I love stories like this

+1

I've always thought that if you find something to love about what you do for a living, and do it as well as it can be done....the money will take care of itself to some degree.

I, too, have clients that I truly enjoy working for.....and who generally pay me more than my quote because they love the finished product and think I didn't charge them enough. Feels good......doesn't it?? :tup:

(I tend to underestimate my timeframe.....lol.......gee, what a surprise. :wacko: )

Kudos on your business doing well! Fantastic!

Edited by SteelBunz

Rovers, I share your love of landscaping. Once every square inch of my property was planted, replanted, overplanted, and finally perfect, I started doing side jobs to make money on the weekends. I'm 38 and can appreciate the level of back-breaking labor it entails. I take my hat off to you sir, still doing it at 55 and doing well at it. Goes to show that it's not work if you're doing what you love.

Money ain't everything.

Good for you, Rovers! Hope the back holds up for a long time and, in the interim, you're able to figure out a back-up plan (pardon the pun) in case it gives you problems down the road. Please plan for the unexpected! :wacko: