[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A trend

BigMikeinNY

As the middle of August rolls upon us, this is when myself, and I think many of us, start to buckledown on draft prep.

Unfortunaley, the more I read on the internet, the more confused I am getting. I am starting to find that you can find ANY PLAYER on a bust list, a sleeper list, a must have list, a under rated list, and a do not draft list.

I am begginning to think that there surely is a thing as too much research.

Anyone else?

Certainly there can be overkill on information and especially with all those microphones in training camps that literally will report two opposite things about a particular player. That's what we try to do - boil it down, make it a tasty, high-nutrition meal. I even work with a chef's hat sometimes.

i agree....i use the huddle and one other pay site...although i occasionally check to see what the guys at espn are saying just for fun....the more stuff you read the tougher it becomes to filter.....and although i cant resist, when you read opinions on message boards, it gets even worse....because there are two sides to every argument and often both sides make compelling arguments.....

kinda funny....i was reading an article on the new jersey nets new owner...a russian billionaire....they say he never reads the internet and his reasoning is because there is so much info available that it is too difficult for him to filter it all and creates confusion

I'd honestly hate to have a single source the gives me the exact information I need to make the most awesome team because that would not be a challenge and eventually, everyone woul dhave access to this same information.

Being able to look at all the information and make a judgement call on your own is what makes this so damn fun! Finding that diamond in the rough when all other sites but a small few find value in a player and after you make some analysis and pull the trigger and that player performs even beyond all expectations, thats pay dirt there! Arm chairing with results is the way I like to put it! Find those gems also helps with all the lousy moves you make during the regular season as well :wacko:

This year is the first year I am noticing the information overload. Maybe the new XM Fantasy Channel is causing some of that for me. Listening to fantasy stuff whenever I am in the car may be a bit much, but I can't stop. It is like crack.

I think the amount of information out there has leveled the playing field somewhat in years past. People who didn't pay attention could find out quickly what to do and have a decent draft without much effort.

I am hoping the overload and the confusion it causes will turn things back to rewarding those of us who do our homework and have the experience to filter out all the opinions and rely on our own judgement.

No matter what, I guess it boils down to picking the right players at the right time.......

I don't know if it is too much research or information overload so much as it may be that this year I am noticing more of a lack of concensus in ranking various players compared to past years. Outside of Chris Johnson and Adrian Peterson consistently in the top 2, I've seen a bunch of scenarios to round out the first couple of rounds.

One can never have too much information. Especially when it comes down to who will start the year, who will continue to play, and who will finish the year. The beauty of FF is that no one source is spot on and you have to use your own judgement.

This year, more than other years I think, there is more disparity in who should be drafted where because of inconsistancies of choices by the coaches and the fragility of the players of today. No one seems to be able to play every minute of every game no matter what side of the ball they are on. Every time you bank on someone the coach decides that he isn't the player for him and plays someone else. Every time you bank on someone they get a hangnail on the first play of the game and then sit the rest of it out...or they are gone for 3 - 4 - 5 games or the rest of the season.

For me.... I can't seem to get a grip on who will be playing and who will be the main person for a position because coaches don't seem to know either. I have decided to just stay with the one source I have used since '97 and my own judgement on who I think is durable. I think I will have a very good chance of finishing a winner if I can just choose which players will play the whole season. :wacko:

You can never have too much information. That is why I read the MB and the home page.

The trick is to learn to filter the information as to what is useful or not. I tend to fall back on past production and use the new info to decide whether to bump the player up or down.

agree w/ rajncajn. that is exactly what i do. use a player's (recent) past as a starting point and analyze the reasons why this year's #'s could/will be different. i also focus on week-to-week consistency and point composition (% of pts from TDs, rec, yards, etc.)... one thing i haven't really done is incorporate schedule strength in my projections. i just don't know how helpful it truly is. at some point, i would like to look at past years and see if SOS works as a leading indicator for our league's scoring system.

agree w/ rajncajn. that is exactly what i do. use a player's (recent) past as a starting point and analyze the reasons why this year's #'s could/will be different. i also focus on week-to-week consistency and point composition (% of pts from TDs, rec, yards, etc.)... one thing i haven't really done is incorporate schedule strength in my projections. i just don't know how helpful it truly is. at some point, i would like to look at past years and see if SOS works as a leading indicator for our league's scoring system.

Same here. I also like to factor in average scoring for the season. A lot of times overall stat rankings from the previous season can be deceiving if a player missed a few games.

I think this is a great thread. I have found the same thing. It comes down to having to make your own decisions based upon your knowledge base.

I think this is a really crappy thread. I haven't found the same thing at all. It comes down to having to make your own decisions based upon your knowledge base.

I think this is a pretty mediocre thread. I have found the same thing sometimes and other times not at all. It comes down to having to make your own decisions based upon your knowledge base.

:wacko: It just seems that no one appreciates your humor.

Anyhow, on the topic, when you're such a natural, there's no need for studying and therefore, there's no confusion.

I use a plus/minus system a la the NHL. For certain players I am targeting or in a tier a need to rank, everytime I see a good report(sleeper, undervalued, etc.) they get 1 point. A bad one(bust, overrated, etc.) it's minus 1. The higher the number the fewer times I've seen a bad report on a player and the player in that teir with the higher plus/minus gets a slight edge. One guy in a tier of mine has a 7 where another has a 2, its sort of like a tie breaker.

Edited by Qball86

I use the Huddle and the same MAG for years to make my base of potential players.

Then I add a pinch of radio, tv, sporting news to season.

When it comes to the draft I am usually 70% happy with my choices and then, I lose my money..... sometimes....

G