[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Alright, I've had it with guns already!

irish

That picture of the boy in the meme has been around for awhile; so the meme clearly has nothing to do with Uvalde.  

And since it has nothing to do with Uvalde the only people who find it funny are those who revel in bashing cops and don't actually hate cops, but still perpetuate hate against cops. 

:mental gymnastics + word salad:

Edited by Bobby Brown

12 minutes ago, irish said:

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article262174927.html

“This is a senseless act and we will not tolerate it,” Baxley said.

But hey, we'll keep tolerating it. 

If only the six children were armed, the tragedy could have been avoided.  Or at least the tragedy would have been sensible.

After the Buffalo tragedy, I'm surprised that there wasn't a larger movement to arm checkout clerks and bag boys. #commonsense

7 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

If only the six children were armed, the tragedy could have been avoided.  Or at least the tragedy would have been sensible.

After the Buffalo tragedy, I'm surprised that there wasn't a larger movement to arm checkout clerks and bag boys. #commonsense

You're right, everyone should just carry guns and it be like the Wild West again. We can call it the Great Last Purge. 

6 minutes ago, BillyBalata said:

So... BB has found a kinship with Irish, who would have thought? B)

anywho...I'm sure they agree....when it comes down to arming our teachers to insure freedom, some of you chivesers got issues.

Glad to hear you feel you've found a kinship with me. 

20 hours ago, BillyBalata said:

anywho...I'm sure they agree....when it comes down to arming our teachers to insure freedom, some of you chivesers got issues.

Agree, I don't think it makes any sense & I don't even know any teachers who would want that. I sure as hell am not going to put a gun in my wife's hands and tell her she's on her own in the classroom. No, they have enough to deal with and that worry should be left up to proper security. The first time manure goes wrong and a teachers gun, for whatever reason, ends up killing an innocent person, what then? I don't want that to be on teachers.

• Like 1

I've been reading this whole thread after returning from vacation where I usually cut out news and political stuff to enjoy myself.

Some here that are part of the gun culture have some good ideas, ones that are probably supported by quite a few gun owners. Higher age limits, universal background checks, eliminating high capacity and semi-auto etc. 

Like Gilthorps post said, most Americans (even a large majority of gun owners, NRA members) support background checks on all sales, but the GOP legislators refuse to do that. 

But the gun owners mostly keep voting for these people, because they are afraid "the damn liberals are going to take our guns away". So nothing changes, even the changes many want, because of fear of some boogeyman. 

I read a story from a former military person that said if somebody wants to buy an AR-15 they should have to get the same training he got in the military. Heck you can buy those guns at 18, but need to be 21 to buy alcohol, and go thru more training and licensing to drive a car (or be a barber of various other professions). 

Yes more should be done for mental health too, with counselors in school but that is difficult to accomplish quickly requiring a large number of trained people that is probably not available, not to mention funding to pay for it. Where is the support from the GOP calling this mostly a mental health issue? Virtually non-existent. 

As for screen time, that is something for parents to deal with starting at home. Too many like to use phones as baby sitters and kids become accustomed to it. I thought we watched a lot of TV growing up, my older siblings certainly tell me that. But we still spent lots of time with our friends, playing outside etc. Violent video games are always a target, again that's a parenting issue. I can guarantee that as a teen if we had video game systems no way we would be allowed to have and play those games. 

More armed people in the school is not the solution, there were good guys with guns there, who failed to act for too long, and even threatened parents trying to rescue their children from the school. Maybe we should just force every American to always be armed and ready to shoot each other, starting about age 7-8. 

PS  Typical LC in this discussion, with his "you don't know guns so GUMMI BEAR". At least rajn is offering some rational ideas but that bit calling out Irish as a cop hater was as off base as one can get. And let's not pretend there isn't a reason to dislike some cops for their behavior. (Which dominated about 3 pages of "discussion" and people say LC and I go back and forth too much....)

On 6/4/2022 at 5:00 PM, Bobby Brown said:

"Working together" requires a number of  Republicans with enough moral courage to step up to extreme gun lobbysits.  If things as universally supported as background checks, age restrictions, and show loop holes are non starters, there isn't any work to be done.

Especially when people continue to vote for the GOP legislators who won't do what they and a large majority of gun owners want. It makes their talk about those solutions disingenuous at best. 

And when fools like LC throw out the major crime in urban areas like Chicago or Detroit my view is simple, I can avoid the vast majority of that violence by simply staying out of those areas. But when suburban schools, churches, movie theaters and stores are targeted I'm out there in the middle of it. 

49 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Especially when people continue to vote for the GOP legislators who won't do what they and a large majority of gun owners want. It makes their talk about those solutions disingenuous at best. 

And when fools like LC throw out the major crime in urban areas like Chicago or Detroit my view is simple, I can avoid the vast majority of that violence by simply staying out of those areas. But when suburban schools, churches, movie theaters and stores are targeted I'm out there in the middle of it. 

amber-heard-amber-turd.gif

Of a more personal perspective. I posted this elsewhere,  but I thought it would be good to share here as well. Most of you know that I work for the Navy in the shipbuilding industry and with that comes is own inherent risks. 

The place that I work at had a shooting several years ago. I didn't know the guy personally,  but I knew who he was. A few of my current coworkers were there at the time and heard the gun shots. One of them worked with the guy at the time who eventually talked him out of the gun. When it happened,  I was at my office, which was off site. The office(trailer) I work out of now is not far from where Lett finally gave himself up.
https://www.wlox.com/story/3021852/police-witnesses-say-lett-was-shooting-to-kill/

Also, I wasn't there, but I personally know several of the people who were there during the Washington Navy Yard massacre. And by "there" I mean a couple that were killed and several that were barricaded in their offices hearing their coworkers being killed. One of them,  Captain Mercer was our program manager at the time and kept a few of his  coworkers in his office with a desk blocking the door as the attacker was going around trying to force his way into the offices. To say he was changed after that experience is an understatement to say the least. 

But, while I know the dangers well enough. I don't really worry about myself. Who I worry about most is my wife, my two sisters, SIL, BIL, cousins and many friends who all currently teach. My daughter and all my family's kids who are in school as well and I just want their security and safety to at least be on par to what I have now because they are much, much more important than I am. However we come by that,  I don't really have the answer to. I talk a big game,  but I have no control over these decisions and it worries me to no end.  All I really know is that I just want something done. 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/06/politics/gun-negotiations-congress-republicans/index.html

Well the top GOP senators working on gun law changes have already come out saying that raising the age from 18 to 21 isn't going to happen. So much for having discussions and negotiations. They'll make some cosmetic changes to appear to care about all the innocent people being killed. But they'll get re-elected since they protect gun rights, you know stopping the liberals from taking them away. :rolleyes: 

Senator Joe Manchin sounds rational, must be why he isn't in the GOP

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/06/politics/manchin-gun-purchase-age-ar15s/index.html

Like I said earlier, maybe if people want something done they need to start voting for people that will do something. Instead of voting for those that won't. 

2 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/06/politics/gun-negotiations-congress-republicans/index.html

Well the top GOP senators working on gun law changes have already come out saying that raising the age from 18 to 21 isn't going to happen. So much for having discussions and negotiations. They'll make some cosmetic changes to appear to care about all the innocent people being killed. But they'll get re-elected since they protect gun rights, you know stopping the liberals from taking them away. :rolleyes: 

Senator Joe Manchin sounds rational, must be why he isn't in the GOP

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/06/politics/manchin-gun-purchase-age-ar15s/index.html

Like I said earlier, maybe if people want something done they need to start voting for people that will do something. Instead of voting for those that won't. 

The problem is, people don't think. I work with some of these folks and the way they view politics and vote is preprogrammed, like their inherited genetics. They got brown hair, brown eyes and freckled skin from their parents, along with voting for a specific party (usually Republican), without even knowing or even considering the issues, their beliefs or what's at stake. When I speak to these people and the rare political conversation comes up, they usually have no idea or understanding of what's happening. It's so sad and unfortunately, there's no changing that. They blindly go into the voting booth and keep pushing the same button regardless of the name of the candidate, for their party, given to them at birth. 

5 hours ago, irish said:

The problem is, people don't think. I work with some of these folks and the way they view politics and vote is preprogrammed, like their inherited genetics. They got brown hair, brown eyes and freckled skin from their parents, along with voting for a specific party (usually Republican), without even knowing or even considering the issues, their beliefs or what's at stake. When I speak to these people and the rare political conversation comes up, they usually have no idea or understanding of what's happening. It's so sad and unfortunately, there's no changing that. They blindly go into the voting booth and keep pushing the same button regardless of the name of the candidate, for their party, given to them at birth. 

It is mostly the opposite in my family, 7 kids, dad was a staunch Republican, mom just voted how he did (she has similar values, both came from Europe after WW2) and most of siblings and I vote primarily Dem. My sister in law is very liberal, Bernie Sanders progressive and thinks Democrats are almost as bad as Republicans. 

and you know what, that describes what is wrong with the country today.  not just today, the last 50 years really. or longer.  but more these days. Too many people's beliefs strictly revolve around their political party's belief.  so many of you guys just parrot what you hear from your party. you live your life being a dem or a repub.  try living your life by right or wrong. i have never understood the people that only have opinions based on a political party.  i have NEVER understood the people that get so angry about politics. that's a game perpetrated by both sides and if you fall into either side's game, well that's just stupid.  I;m in my 60's. I've seen both sides, I have never lived my life by letting a politician telling me how to live that life. I've had ups and downs in my life. my house is bought and paid for.  things could have gone better along the way. but i can tell you this, over the years, i have never once blamed a political party for any of those ups an downs. myself yes...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BillyBalata said:

and you know what, that describes what is wrong with the country today.  not just today, the last 50 years really. or longer.  but more these days. Too many people's beliefs strictly revolve around their political party's belief.  so many of you guys just parrot what you hear from your party. you live your life being a dem or a repub.  try living your life by right or wrong. i have never understood the people that only have opinions based on a political party.  i have NEVER understood the people that get so angry about politics. that's a game perpetrated by both sides and if you fall into either side's game, well that's just stupid.  I;m in my 60's. I've seen both sides, I have never lived my life by letting a politician telling me how to live that life. I've had ups and downs in my life. my house is bought and paid for.  things could have gone better along the way. but i can tell you this, over the years, i have never once blamed a political party for any of those ups an downs. myself yes...

Absolutely 100% agree.

I guess in my case that comes with growing up around both ends of the spectrum. Dad is a typical classic conservative and mom is about as hippie as they get. It's no wonder they split before I was born.

24 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

laws will only stop good and decent citizens from rightfully owning firearms. I say that because you can buy an American FGM-148 Javelin on the Dark Web Marketplace

So why did stricter gun laws work in Australia, Sweden, and Norway?  They have access to the same dark web 

4 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

So why did stricter gun laws work in Australia, Sweden, and Norway?  They have access to the same dark web 

because people like dopie and LC don't live there.

so let's not pass ANY laws that maybe, just maybe could prevent ONE GUY  from killing 19 children.  I mean. I even agree with the fact if we raise the limit from 18 yrs old to 21  yrs old for buying an AR isn't going to do much, but i do think it might stop ONE GUY.  but we can't let that guy buy booze until he's 21, even tho we'll let him die for our country. we just can't eliminate his ability to buy the gun until he can drink, then it's ok. any law that gets support and maybe even gets passed, will be limiting and a joke. BUT, if we get something that stops that ONE GUY.  why are you guys against that?  we can move on from that and and maybe some day stop guys like dopie from buying guns on the dark web.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BillyBalata said:

The "bad guys won't follow laws anyway" line is so freaking tiresome....another NRA talking point. 

I mean...there would be no point in passing any law for any potential crime if that was true.  And we have a f'n kajillion examples showing that laws do actually work. 

2 hours ago, BillyBalata said:

so let's not pass ANY laws that maybe, just maybe could prevent ONE GUY  from killing 19 children.  I mean. I even agree with the fact if we raise the limit from 18 yrs old to 21  yrs old for buying an AR isn't going to do much, but i do think it might stop ONE GUY.  but we can't let that guy buy booze until he's 21, even tho we'll let him die for our country. we just can't eliminate his ability to buy the gun until he can drink, then it's ok. any law that gets support and maybe even gets passed, will be limiting and a joke. BUT, if we get something that stops that ONE GUY.  why are you guys against that?  we can move on from that and and maybe some day stop guys like dopie from buying guns on the dark web.

Because if they pass any laws controlling gun use, sale, purchase etc, the next step is confiscating all guns. You know like when they raised the drinking age in places that was lower than 21 it kept going up and now you need to be 50 to buy it.....

When 70% of NRA members want gun laws passed and the GOP members of Congress refuse, there's a major problem, but those people will mostly keep voting GOP. 

8 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Because if they pass any laws controlling gun use, sale, purchase etc, the next step is confiscating all guns. You know like when they raised the drinking age in places that was lower than 21 it kept going up and now you need to be 50 to buy it.....

When 70% of NRA members want gun laws passed and the GOP members of Congress refuse, there's a major problem, but those people will mostly keep voting GOP. 

OMG, i am pretty sure i made a post at some point about parroting the party line and you come along.  and now you'll be offended cuz you were critiscedd for stating your robot opinion. i apolgise in advance

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

Which Huddler is this?

And that right there, is what's wrong with America. Seems normal. And that's 100% a Trumpy.  Oh and that's LC all the way. 

Edited by irish
  • Like 1