[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Alright, I've had it with guns already!

irish

16 hours ago, BillyBalata said:

OMG, i am pretty sure i made a post at some point about parroting the party line and you come along.  and now you'll be offended cuz you were critiscedd for stating your robot opinion. i apolgise in advance

HUH?  What party line am I parroting? 

Many people including gun owners want stricter laws, but the politicians (mostly from GOP) won't act. That's just simple facts. As evidenced by

3 hours ago, League_Champion said:

The vote was mostly along party lines, with Dems voting 218-2 in favor and GOP voting 202-5 against. And it will not pass the Senate due to the filibuster. 

The Democratic-held chamber approved the legislation in a 223-204 vote. It passed in a mostly party line vote: Five Republicans supported the measure, while two Democrats opposed it.

On 5/31/2022 at 8:34 PM, LordOpie said:

QUESTION: Why should qualified teachers be armed?

It's not just Uvalde, the high school in Florida, where the broward cops were afraid to go in. It was an active shooter situation, not a hostage situation. Hostages means negotiating. Active shooter means immediately enter and put your LEO-life on the line.

Why are cops allowed to stand by and do nothing?

ANSWER: Warren v. District of Columbia, 1981

cops are not required to put their safety at risk. that ruling changed what it means to be LEO.

You'll see more and more cops over time "stand down". Those Broward County Florida LEOs was the new beginning. Uvalde is not new, just the new normal for police response.

They didnt merely stand down.  That would be bad in and of itself.  The travesty of the situtation is that while standing down for 49 minutes they actively prevented (and detained) parents from protecting or saving their own kids.   

IMO for that they should be charged as accessories.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/25/politics/biden-signs-gun-bill/index.html

I'll be honest,  I had a difficult time believing anything would be done, but I think the Republicans saw the writing on the wall. People are fed up and want to see at least some attempt at change. For whatever reason,  I'm happy they could come to some agreement. I'm also happy that the focus wasn't completely on guns and they are trying to address the mental health aspect in this as well. 

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, rajncajn said:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/25/politics/biden-signs-gun-bill/index.html

I'll be honest,  I had a difficult time believing anything would be done, but I think the Republicans saw the writing on the wall. People are fed up and want to see at least some attempt at change. For whatever reason,  I'm happy they could come to some agreement. I'm also happy that the focus wasn't completely on guns and they are trying to address the mental health aspect in this as well. 

Except it's all unconstitutional and doesn't mean dog crap, especially here in the South. 

23 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Except it's all unconstitutional

The whole legislation is unconstitutional?  Not one part but all?

Could you please go through the previous judicial rulings that set the precedent for each part of the bill being unconstitutional?  Hell, if you accidentally said 'all' just pick out the parts that actually have a precedent.

Appreciate it.

16 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

The whole legislation is unconstitutional?  Not one part but all?

Could you please go through the previous judicial rulings that set the precedent for each part of the bill being unconstitutional?  Hell, if you accidentally said 'all' just pick out the parts that actually have a precedent.

Appreciate it.

He probably thinks the new right wing controlled SCOTUS will rule it unconstitutional, he may be right, I could see all sorts of things going the wrong way if they continue their ways. 

I read a story about how this legislation happened, how the two sides each had a couple of senators that wanted to work on something, and got blessing from the top brass of their party (McConnell, Schumer, Biden) and then pursued some things, agree to not pursue others, etc. And over time they got more people on board and eventually had a core on each side (including the 10 or so GOP senators) before they presented it to the larger group. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/victims-of-fourth-of-july-parade-shooting-in-highland-park-named-by-heartbroken-friends-and-relatives

Sure, people do the shooting but guns are a problem. I wish we could live in a world without them. 

3 hours ago, irish said:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/victims-of-fourth-of-july-parade-shooting-in-highland-park-named-by-heartbroken-friends-and-relatives

Sure, people do the shooting but guns are a problem. I wish we could live in a world without them. 

Easy access to guns, too many angry and mentally unstable people, and too many others ready and willing to use guns to solve their problems (perceived or real). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Easy access to guns, too many angry and mentally unstable people, and too many others ready and willing to use guns to solve their problems (perceived or real). 

According to the news I'm reading this morning he legally obtained the guns even with Illinois having some of the strictest gun laws in the country.

1 hour ago, rajncajn said:

According to the news I'm reading this morning he legally obtained the guns even with Illinois having some of the strictest gun laws in the country.

Yup, which is why guns just suck in general. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rajncajn said:

And?   What's your point?  I don't want to make any assumptions, so enlighten us. 

I wonder how long before Illinois and other states stricter gun laws are stricken down by the current SCOTUS. I guess that will make us all safer. 

17 hours ago, irish said:

Another great day in our country. Happy 4th of July. 

https://apnews.com/article/chicago-july-4-parade-shooting-92b50feb80c19afe7842b9caf08545cb

I live about 30-40 miles away from Highland Park.

It's a really upscale place. Not the kind of place you'd expect to see a shooting of any kind.

:(

Edited by Wolverines Fan

The strictest gun laws in our country are akin to to the ugliest super model or the least athletic Olympic gymnast.   Regardless, some people love focusing on a handful of cities with major crime issues to make a point.  I can post the gun violence per capita for every state numbers again for a larger weight of evidence correlation. It tells a very different story than cherry picking a handful of cities.

11 minutes ago, Wolverines Fan said:

I live about 30-40 miles away from Highland Park.

It's a really upscale place. Not the kind of place you'd expect to see a shooting of any kind.

:(

It's just so sad. This country has so many issues and because we're so polarized, I just don't see how it can be fixed. 

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

And?   What's your point?  I don't want to make any assumptions, so enlighten us. 

I wonder how long before Illinois and other states stricter gun laws are stricken down by the current SCOTUS. I guess that will make us all safer. 

My point is that we need to do more to fix the root of the problem. Gun laws may make it slightly more difficult to commit mass murder, but it's just a band-aid on a festering wound (pardon the pun) at this point.

"NEW: Lake County Sheriff’s office just said police had been called on suspected Highland Park shooter Robert Crimo in 2019, after he threatened to “kill everyone” in his family. They seized 16 knives.

He was later able to legally buy 5 firearms before yesterday’s mass shooting."

'Strictest' gun laws.

1 hour ago, Bobby Brown said:

"NEW: Lake County Sheriff’s office just said police had been called on suspected Highland Park shooter Robert Crimo in 2019, after he threatened to “kill everyone” in his family. They seized 16 knives.

He was later able to legally buy 5 firearms before yesterday’s mass shooting."

'Strictest' gun laws.

Unreal!  Sounds like a great person to sell guns to.