[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Playoff weekend week 16

purplemonster

So, I'm down 5 points, opponent has Waller and I've got OBJ, Kelce and Butker. My opponent messaged me last night and asked me if I wanted to split the pot 60/40. 

First of all, I have never in all the years I've played FF, split a championship pot, even if I knew I was a heavy underdog. Not that I necessarily wouldn't if asked, but why would someone ask when they know that they are the heavy underdog and only after the majority of games are played? On top of that, he included the entire league in the message. If you're going to ask to split the winnings then that needs only be between the two of you and the commish. So now I get to look like the selfish dick who doesn't want to split the pot to the entire league when I know I have a much better than 60/40 chance to win it all. 

1 hour ago, rajncajn said:

So, I'm down 5 points, opponent has Waller and I've got OBJ, Kelce and Butker. My opponent messaged me last night and asked me if I wanted to split the pot 60/40. 

First of all, I have never in all the years I've played FF, split a championship pot, even if I knew I was a heavy underdog. Not that I necessarily wouldn't if asked, but why would someone ask when they know that they are the heavy underdog and only after the majority of games are played? On top of that, he included the entire league in the message. If you're going to ask to split the winnings then that needs only be between the two of you and the commish. So now I get to look like the selfish dick who doesn't want to split the pot to the entire league when I know I have a much better than 60/40 chance to win it all. 

You don't look selfish. You don't need to split squat. No chance I am taking that when you almost certainly will win. Oh hey looks like I will lose, here ill take 40%! Nah. No thanks. How about you take the %chance you'll win let's say (85%? +) and split the pot that way. That actually approaches fairness. Also agree that it is not the best etiquette to share with the whole group probably. That's should be a private offer and then approved by the Commish. 

Edited by purplemonster

47 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Is it a split or winner takes all?  If there is a split, respond back with the entire league on the message asking if he wants to make it winner takes all

4 hours ago, rajncajn said:

My opponent messaged me last night and asked me if I wanted to split the pot 60/40. 

...On top of that, he included the entire league in the message. If you're going to ask to split the winnings then that needs only be between the two of you and the commish.

Thats a JV bushleague ***** move, imo.   

On 12/24/2023 at 9:25 AM, Anonymouse said:

Anyone concerned about PHI pass game?

I have a feeling NYG won't score much and PHI will run the ball a lot.

Yikes. I'm already concerned.

I was able to bench AJ Brown in one league as I had options, but had to start him in another.

On 12/25/2023 at 11:15 AM, rajncajn said:

Don't think you look like a dick if you refuse. He's the dick for including the whole league. 

I would respond and tell him your team sucks and you're losing and not winning any money.

Glad you stuck it out.

CONGRATS ON THE TITLE.

Edited by stevegrab
  • Thanks 1

I've split one pot in my 30+ years of playing. The other owner proposed it to me in a league where we had very shallow rosters, nothing on the waiver wire, and my best player was doubtful to play in the championship.  Needless to say, it was a no-brainer on paper, as I was a decided underdog under the circumstances.  

Long story short, someone in the league got wind of it and several league members were up in arms over what happened. Cries of collusion, not fair, sketchy doings, etc.  Which was hilarious because the other guy and I didn't know each other at all and had made ZERO trades during the season (with each other or anybody else).  There was absolutely no way we could have been doing anything sketchy, but people still didn't like the idea that we split the $$. 

I ended up leaving the league shortly thereafter, ironically because I found out that one or more of the commissioners were doing sketchy stuff themselves (blind email accounts that weren't as blind as everyone thought, etc.).  

I've never split anything since.  Not because I think there's anything wrong with it, but it's just not worth the drama (and I'm usually pretty confident that I'm going to win, or at least have a fairly good shot, so why would I split?).   

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Gopher said:

everyone thought, etc.).  

I've never split anything since.  Not because I think there's anything wrong with it, but it's just not worth the drama (and I'm usually pretty confident that I'm going to win, or at least have a fairly good shot, so why would I split?).   

:pc: Not even aces or eights in blackjack?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gopher said:

I've split one pot in my 30+ years of playing. The other owner proposed it to me in a league where we had very shallow rosters, nothing on the waiver wire, and my best player was doubtful to play in the championship.  Needless to say, it was a no-brainer on paper, as I was a decided underdog under the circumstances.  

Long story short, someone in the league got wind of it and several league members were up in arms over what happened. Cries of collusion, not fair, sketchy doings, etc.  Which was hilarious because the other guy and I didn't know each other at all and had made ZERO trades during the season (with each other or anybody else).  There was absolutely no way we could have been doing anything sketchy, but people still didn't like the idea that we split the $$. 

I ended up leaving the league shortly thereafter, ironically because I found out that one or more of the commissioners were doing sketchy stuff themselves (blind email accounts that weren't as blind as everyone thought, etc.).  

How is it sketchy if the two top teams decide to split the winnings? That makes no sense at all. It's not like you helped each other in any way. 

27 years of FF.  Only once, just once was there a legit reason to split the pot.  Monday night, January 2nd, 2023.  Buffalo @ Cinci is suspended and later canceled.  And the pairs of teams in the Championship games all agreed to split the pots as the games were close and projected to be razor close. All teams had multiple shares in that game. And it was their idea, not that of the commish (mine).  Sure as hell made my commish life easier.  One of my teams was in a 3rd place consolation contest, but I had easily lost whatever would have occured in that game so I immediately conceded the third place prize.  If it were close, we would have split it.

54 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

How is it sketchy if the two top teams decide to split the winnings? That makes no sense at all. It's not like you helped each other in any way. 

That's what I was wondering. I don't know. It was like they thought we had plotted against everyone else all year and somehow increased our chances of winning by doing so. Which is laughable in any league, much less a 32-team league with virtually no waivers and very little trading.  You're pretty much stuck with what you draft.  

18 minutes ago, Dcat said:

27 years of FF.  Only once, just once was there a legit reason to split the pot.  Monday night, January 2nd, 2023.  Buffalo @ Cinci is suspended and later canceled.  And the pairs of teams in the Championship games all agreed to split the pots as the games were close and projected to be razor close. All teams had multiple shares in that game. And it was their idea, not that of the commish (mine).  Sure as hell made my commish life easier.  One of my teams was in a 3rd place consolation contest, but I had easily lost whatever would have occured in that game so I immediately conceded the third place prize.  If it were close, we would have split it.

Those were obviously very unusual circumstances where, in many cases, a split made the most sense.  

13 hours ago, Gopher said:

That's what I was wondering. I don't know. It was like they thought we had plotted against everyone else all year and somehow increased our chances of winning by doing so. Which is laughable in any league, much less a 32-team league with virtually no waivers and very little trading.  You're pretty much stuck with what you draft.  

Just a bunch of drama queens. Angry because they didn't do better. 

Don't think we've had a pot split in 30 plus years and would require actions by the commissioner and whose name goes on the trophy.