[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best / Worst NFL Stadiums

Swampnuts

I know this topic gets done occasionally, but I'd like some new input. I'd like to do some road trips to see some new stadiums, but would like some Huddler's choices!

I get pretty spoiled here in Charlotte with B of A stadium. It's a great outdoor stadium, sold out every game, and the fans are top notch. Plus, Charlotte has a great downtown scene to enjoy both pre/post game. After suffering through the old Kingdome, I went to Seahawks Stadium last year, and was totally blown away by that place. It was awesome!

I've been to plenty of Cardinals games in Sun Devil stadium, and it's absolutely brutal. You've got to be a pure football fan to go there, because the stadium, atmosphere, food, and fans could not be worse.

I'm thinking about trips to Atlanta and possibly Nashville this year, any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by Swampnuts

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only been to a couple in recent past... and both suck.

Superdome in New Orleans: This place is no better than the Astrodome. Old, cheap, smelly, boring and bad food/drinks. And its indoors - what fun is that?

Qualcomm in San Diego: The tailgating was alright, nothing special. Your basic older outdoor stadium. The Bolts desperately need a new home - whether it be in San Diego or closer to LA.

I have been to Soldier Field (some 6 years ago) and saw a game at Anaheim Stadium (LA Rams - many years ago). Soldier Field was nice, I guess. Anaheim Stadium wasn't good for football.

Qualcomm in San Diego:  The tailgating was alright, nothing special.  Your basic older outdoor stadium.  The Bolts desperately need a new home - whether it be in San Diego or closer to LA.

876858[/snapback]

Agreed. Qualcomm is an eyesore. The NFL will not have another Superbowl in San Diego until a new stadium is built.

The only problem is that the city government is in such disarray (mayor quitting; two council members indicted on bribery charges) that getting a stadium built before 2008 looks REAL dim.

The Chargers may still BOLT ( :D ) San Diego eventually for another city without all these problems!!!! :D

Ford Field is a very nice venue for a game. The tailgating is next to non-existant, but inside the stadium everything is great. The old Silverdome had some decent tailgating, but sucked inside.

Ford Field should look pretty nice in February for the Superbowl.

Gilette Stadium - Top notch stadium, but in the middle of nowhere. If you are a big fan of a "downtown stadium", you're out of luck.

Browns Stadium - Went last year, really nice stadium. Downtown location, easy to get to. Great bar scene within walking distance.

San Diego - Agree, stadium is outdated, but I thought the tailgaiting was great. Not downtown but at least it is in San Diego and is easy to get to.

New Orleans - Agree, stadium is nothing to brag about, but a great city.

Arizona - Agree with previous posts, awful stadium, but a great place to visit.

In planning an away game trip, I must admit the city is more of a factor than the stadium itself. It's not the smartest way to go, which is probably why I've been to New Orleans a few times.

Edited by charty

The Texans' stadium is pretty sweet.  The Niners' stadium (which will always be Candlestick to me) is old and sucky.

876864[/snapback]

Oh yeah, that's the other one I forgot... Candlestick.... another basic outdoor venue like Qualcomm - nothing special.

Oh yeah, that's the other one I forgot... Candlestick.... another basic outdoor venue like Qualcomm - nothing special.

876955[/snapback]

You're being too nice to Candlestick, Darin.

- its deep in the heart of the Hunter's Point ghetto

- almost all the parking is in dirt lots, which is just super when its raining

- the parking is very expensive

- it is impossible to get in or out of the stadium quickly, unless you know the side streets through the ghetto very well

- every game jams the freeways for hours

- its cold and windy most of the time

- vendors are nothing special

- the stadium is old

- there is nothing near or around the stadium worth doing before or after the game

- unlike other stadiums (like Houston's) the light rail system doesn't go to the stadium.

I've only been to Ravens Stadium, but I can't imaging a stadium that is much better (although I know it's probably been done in the last 7 years).

I've heard the Titans Stadium is nice, but not as nice. I've also heard that Fed Ex Field ('Skins) is not bad, not good by NFL standards. Given Cooke built it with his own money, I can see why it is good enough.

You're being too nice to Candlestick, Darin.

- its deep in the heart of the Hunter's Point ghetto

- almost all the parking is in dirt lots, which is just super when its raining

- the parking is very expensive

- it is impossible to get in or out of the stadium quickly, unless you know the side streets through the ghetto very well

- every game jams the freeways for hours

- its cold and windy most of the time

- vendors are nothing special

- the stadium is old

- there is nothing near or around the stadium worth doing before or after the game

- unlike other stadiums (like Houston's) the light rail system doesn't go to the stadium.

876966[/snapback]

This is all true, now that I recall back to when I was there.

At least the tailgating was good, at least our setup was.

But yeah, you're right... horrible ingress/egress, horrible parking situation.

I've been to Three Rivers 4 times but haven't been to Heinz yet. I can't speak for the stadium, but the tailgating is awesome and the fans are top notch....the same can be said for Arrowhead.

Edited by Sam

Comeback in about 5 years and see our new stadium :D

876895[/snapback]

Haven't we been hearing this for a few years already? I live in Manitoba (borders N. Dakota) and Minneapolis is only a 7-8 hour drive so I've been to the Dome a bunch of times (twice for football with my 3rd being this Sept 11 vs the Bucs). I would love to see a new stadium built too as the one there now is quite a dump.

As much as I hate the team, the Bucs have a pretty nice home. Stadium is nice, seats are nice....

Raymond James Stadium is great plus the weather is nice and the food is good. I think you are just jealous of our team and our pirate ship... :D

Altell Stadium is also nice but lacks anything significant. However it is alongside the river which gives it a nice atmosphere. I was there for the Superbowl and they ran out of food by the 3rd quarter. I'm not sure if that is norm there or not...