[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shaun wins MVP

Vote Quimby2

Alexander is first, Manning second in MVP votingAssociated Press

NEW YORK -- Shaun Alexander set an NFL record for touchdowns, led the league in rushing and ran away with The Associated Press Most Valuable Player award Thursday.

Shaun Alexander

Running Back

Seattle Seahawks

2005 SEASON STATISTICS

Rush Yds TD Rec Yds TD

370 1880 27 15 78 1

And with free agency on the horizon, the Seattle running back could parlay his sensational year into unprecedented riches.

Alexander spearheaded the Seahawks' rise to the best record in the NFL, including a victory over the league's other 14-2 team, the Colts. It was the most productive season in Seahawks history, one in which Alexander scored 28 touchdowns and rushed for 1,880 yards.

That earned him 19 votes from a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters who cover the NFL. He ended the two-year reign of Indianapolis quarterback Peyton Manning, who received 13 votes.

"I think that is a team goal," Alexander said of winning the award. "The way I always looked at MVPs was it was a player that did really, really good on a really, really good team. That is why I am even more excited about this year, because I have put together some great numbers, but we have a great team."

Those great numbers included 11 games rushing for 100 yards or more, topped by 173 against Arizona on Nov. 6. He scored 27 TDs on the ground and one as a receiver to break Priest Holmes' seasonal record by one.

His lowest output was in a Monday night game in Philadelphia, a 42-0 romp in which he played only the first half and had 49 yards in the snow.

Alexander became the only player in NFL history with at least 15 TDs in five straight seasons and the fourth with consecutive 20-touchdown years. He became Seattle's career rushing leader this season.

"It's just like all the things -- the rushing title, the MVP, all those things -- it's exciting to talk about," said the sixth-year pro out of Alabama. "But I don't think it would mean that much until after I retire, because then it would actually hit me what it means.

"Right now, we're on this ride and it's just kind of one of those things; everything is kind of numb to us. It's all exciting. We're already in the second round of the playoffs, we've just got a bunch of cool things that we are really not used to."

Seattle would like to get used to having Alexander in the backfield. But he could leave in the offseason.

He was designated the Seahawks' franchise player before this season and accepted the team's one-year, $6.323 million offer with a proviso. The team agreed not to use the same franchise tag on him in 2006.

So either the Seahawks come up with a huge financial package, or the MVP could be scoring touchdowns and gaining all those yards elsewhere next season.

"It is a business," he said. "The Seahawks have to make their own decisions. I am going to be happy for whatever they do."

Alexander is the first Seahawk to win the award. He also is the first running back voted MVP since Marshall Faulk in 2000.

Trailing Manning in the balloting were Patriots quarterback Tom Brady with 10 votes, Giants running back Tiki Barber with six and Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer with two.

Eell deserved by Alexander. :D

Manning is hands down the best pure skilled QB in the league, a tremendous leader of that team, and ran away with the MVP last year, but I think there was some "passing TD record hangover" here on the voters' parts...I would have put Carson, Barber AND Brady (keeping a decimated team afloat virtually on his own) ahead of Peyton this year.

That's what I was thinking.  Time for someone to break open the piggy bank.

1249543[/snapback]

Seattle management must be pumped that they didn't get him signed before the season. Now, they are going to have to make him the highest paid RB in the league. Good call guys....good call. I can just see Shaun's agent now: "Lets see.....Shaun broke the TD record, didn't miss a start, won the rushing title....and oh yeah, he was the MVP this year. That equates to about (insert absurd amount of money here) $$$ over the next 5 years."

When he won the rushing title AND took over the TD record it was almost a lock for him to get the MVP, especially when you consider that he lead his team to 1st overall seed in the NFC.

In my mind there were lots of viable candidates this year and he certainly was one of them. While you might be able to make arguments for others, it's hard to argue that SA doesn't deserve it.