[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How fast is your internet connection?

Atlanta Cracker

comcast cable modem in Dallas:

Communications 3.4 megabits per second

Storage 419 kilobytes per second

1MB file download 2.4 seconds

Subjective rating Awesome

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5.2 megabits per second

Communications 5.2 megabits per second

Storage 640 kilobytes per second

1MB file download 1.6 seconds

:D I know mine is good, but I'm not sure this is accurate. Comcast cable.

If anyone has the opportunity to get Verizon FIOS, do it. The prices are great and the speed is just ridiculous. It's way faster than a T-1 or most methods of business connectivity.

1427767[/snapback]

Checked it out after reading your post. They have it in my hood and will be out in three weeks to bury the line to my residence and install the CAT5 . . . FREE!!

up to 15mbps / 2mbps for $45/mo.

Thanks I think I love you, but what am I so afraid of? :D you can kick my ass anytime.

I am using AT&T (formerly SBC Yahoo) DSL. As it turns out, my old contract for the basic plan was just about to expire and I called last week and they gave me the "pro" plan for the same price I had been paying (as opposed to having my bill default to $49.99 like it was going to do). The service switch came today.

So 10 minutes ago, just before I shut down my modem so that it could reboot to the new service I ran the test and got 1.4 megabits per second (not too bad for a plan that promised speeds up to 1.5 mps).

So, now I just ran the test again with the new faster service and got 2.2 megabits per second (for a plan that promised speeds up to 3.0 mps)

I'm not sure if I should be happy, annoyed, or what. (Although AT&T did say that I should leave my modem connected for at least 10 days straight so that my service could be optimized, so maybe it will get better.)

I couldn't use the test link, the speed was too fast :D

I used this link to test.

The download ranges between 9.5MB and 10MB, which is 10baseT ethernet speeds.

Upload averages about 1.5-2MB

We have Comcast cable into the office with 9 machines using it at the same time.

If 3-4 machines are uploading/downloading at the same time it cuts back to about 3-4MB up which is still smokin'

I have it at the house too and the speeds are pretty much the same here in SW Michigan

edited for typos

Edited by Cunning Linguist

I used to have comcast cable and hated it. I moved up to seattle and now use Qwest DSL and it is supa fast!

1428094[/snapback]

Communications 4.1 megabits per second

Storage 498.5 kilobytes per second

1MB file download 2.1 seconds

Although it goes down every once in a while(Comcast) you can't beat the performance. I'm stuck with Qwest's sucky phone service though and wouldn't trust them as a ISP.

Why don't you do the test though I'm curious how fast Qwest is.

Edited by major-tom

Storage 498.8 kilobytes per second

Cablevision in NY..... but..... I get periods where it all but shuts down. When I call them, they want to "check the house cabling". BS. I think it slows down when people in the area are doing massive downloads and sucking up all the BW. Tends to happen late mornings, early afternoons and early evenings.

Rumors are Verizon is going to wire Long Island.... and finally give Cablevision some competition. Verizon won't garantee speed.... because of that "distance" factor. The telephone wiring in this house is pretty old, I think i'd have to put new phone wiring in first. 50 year old twisted pairs aren't going to support much speed, me thinks.

2.6 megabits per second

Communications 2.6 megabits per second

Storage 322.2 kilobytes per second

1MB file download 3.2 seconds

Subjective rating Great

Verizon DSL. I love it. Never ever goes down and plenty fast enough for me.

Storage 498.8 kilobytes per second

Cablevision in NY..... but..... I get periods where it all but shuts down. When I call them, they want to "check the house cabling". BS. I think it slows down when people in the area are doing massive downloads and sucking up all the BW. Tends to happen late mornings, early afternoons and early evenings.

Rumors are Verizon is going to wire Long Island.... and finally give Cablevision some competition. Verizon won't garantee speed.... because of that "distance" factor. The telephone wiring in this house is pretty old, I think i'd have to put new phone wiring in first. 50 year old twisted pairs aren't going to support much speed, me thinks.

1430306[/snapback]

Verizon is currently wiring much of New England and hopes to offer competitive cable services in the next year or two.

6.7 megabits per second

Communications 6.7 megabits per second

Storage 815.3 kilobytes per second

1MB file download 1.3 seconds

i have dial up at home cnat get anything else  :D

1427667[/snapback]

Dear G*d I feel so bad for you.

If anyone has the opportunity to get Verizon FIOS, do it. The prices are great and the speed is just ridiculous. It's way faster than a T-1 or most methods of business connectivity.

1427767[/snapback]

They just finished laying all the Fiber in my area a little while ago and since we are Verizon we get a nice 20% discount on the service. :D Currently I use Comcast Cable service and am not a fan of DSL at all. At work since we are a managed hosting/ISP we pretty much are the internet here so our connection is instant. I hate leaving here and going home to my cable connection. It is so g*d awful slow.

DSL at home

Communications 1.1 megabits per second

Storage 132.3 kilobytes per second

1MB file download 7.7 seconds

Subjective rating Good

So, my DSL at home is slightly faster at home than is my cable at work, and has more slightlymore storage.  My DSL is much more reliable as I haven't had to go without internet at home in the last 2 1/2 years, but it has gone out a work at least a half dozen times in that time frame.

Edit to add:  Cable at work is Cox Communications, DSL at home is SBC global.  Also, the cable provider at my house Northland is supposedly much slower than Cox,  just started offering cable internet last year, and is much less reliable.

1427904[/snapback]

Very suprised by Verizon Wireless. They just got broadband in this area. I was actually suprised they have it now, because until I just logged on using it, I didn't know.

Communications 1.1 megabits per second

Storage 138.7 kilobytes per second

1MB file download 7.4 seconds

Subjective rating Good

FWIW, here are my wireless results:

Communications 1.9 megabits per second

Storage 232.1 kilobytes per second

1MB file download 4.4 seconds

Subjective rating Great

I love my Comcast cable modem here in Northern VA (DC). Always fast:

Communications 15.6 megabits per second

Storage 1.9 megabytes per second

1MB file download 0.5 seconds

Subjective rating Unbelievable

So I'm guessing its usually not quite this good, but still...

I love my Comcast cable modem here in Northern VA (DC).  Always fast:

Communications 15.6 megabits per second

Storage 1.9 megabytes per second

1MB file download 0.5 seconds

Subjective rating Unbelievable

So I'm guessing its usually not quite this good, but still...

1432705[/snapback]

It will vary drastically w/ the erver you end up on! Still very good! :D

I wish H8 were here for this. He always poo-pooed cable! :D:D

I have Comcast cable internet and I also run through a router for wireless on my laptizzy.

3.7 megabits per second

Communications 3.7 megabits per second

Storage 450.5 kilobytes per second

1MB file download 2.3 seconds

Too bad I wasn't running at that speed for last night's poker game :D

Edited by Brentastic

7 megabits per second

Communications 7 megabits per second

Storage 857.6 kilobytes per second

1MB file download 1.2 seconds