[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Parenting question

Chief Dick

What age did you move your children from a crib to a normal bed?

My son is 3 and still sleeps in his crib. He hasn't really tried to get out, and seems pretty happy in there. Is there any reason to start transitioning out into a big boy bed, or did most of you just leave your child in there until they "could" get out or "wanted" to get out?

1-my son hated his.... rattled the sides like a jail cell and would try to climb out :D

2- just asked my wife CD and she said ...."Ya just know...... and usually there's another one the way that's gonna need it" :wacko:

moved to bed around 2 2 1/2

Edited by nuke'em ttg

My daughter figured out that she could climb over the edge when she was about 2- we got her a "big girl bed" and at first she hated it, but after a month or so she loved it. If he is happy as you say he is, I don't see any reason to force him out of it.

She is 4 today and she still finds her way into our bed on a regular basis- now that is another problem entirely.

Edited by Sammy D.

What age did you move your children from a crib to a normal bed?

My son is 3 and still sleeps in his crib. He hasn't really tried to get out, and seems pretty happy in there. Is there any reason to start transitioning out into a big boy bed, or did most of you just leave your child in there until they "could" get out or "wanted" to get out?

Well my son is 35 and he still likes his crib :wacko:

I've only got 5 years experience but that doesn't strike me as a problem. A little after the age of 3, the crib became dangerous because she began trying to climb out.

It sure is a different world when they can get up and leave their room all on their own in the morning. :wacko:

My kids love their big girl beds..For about an hour. Then they jump in with us and I have feet in my face and ribs all night. There has been times where I have woken up to find me , my wife 2 kids and 2 80lb dogs in my bed..Thank God my birds are in cages

Edited by whomper

My son's crib had a toddler bed front tht could be placed in so he can get in and out, but won't fall out at night. We changed that when he turned two. It has been a change since he can get up and wake us up when he gets up. I hate being woken up at 5:30 on the weekend! :wacko:

My son is also 3, he had one of those convertible cribs that we made into a day bed when he was about 2, he could get out and in on his own accord....just before he turned 3, we bought him a big boy bed and furniture and asked him to pick out his own bedding for it: this is what he chose:

http://www.akidsbeddingline.com/olkitrplandt.html

little did he know, new baby sister was going to be using his crib, she was born in July. We didn't want him to think he was getting kicked out of his crib/day bed so we gave him a choice on his bedding. worked like a charm!

We switched both of our sons to twin beds around at about 2 1/2. We figured climbing down from a bed was a better option than having them drop from the top of a crib.

Agreed...the toddler beds are fairly low to the ground and most have some type of railing, also the crib mattress generally fits these as well...so if they do fall out they don't fall out very far.

The biggest problem is once they have the option to get out of bed on their own, you'll either be hearing some racket in the middle of the night when they get up to play in the kitchen or they just come and get in bed with you.

Started having kids take naps in "big beds" so that the transition to something besides the crib would go easier.

Worked great for the first two. The third will be transitioning in the next couple of months...

We moved my son out of his crib several months before he turned 3. We did so because his brother was going to be born soon and I wasn't buying a second crib. He did fine and loved having a "big boy bed."

Same here, though my son was just a little over 2 if I remember correctly. WE made a big deal about getting the "big boy" bed and he has loved it (well, he would much prefer to climb into my bed)

Trying to remember. Think it was at least a year ago so she was around 2 and 1/2?

Anyways, we tried the toddler bed thing. She didn't like it. She actually preferred to sleep on a bunch of blankets on the floor. After doing that for a short period of time we bought her a bed from Ikea, so now she sleeps in a big full size bed! It's nice though because its low to the ground and she can climb right in no problem. One of those foam type mattresses with a zipper cover. Works pretty good.