[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

for the nerds...

Duchess Jack

I am not even going to try to put these in order... as such I am likely going to miss a couple (like Fable.. which is almost a great game)

Quest for Glory Series by Sierra

- Like the old King's Quest games except with combat. You could be a Fighter, a Thief and Wizard or Paladin. Good, good stuff.

Starflight Series by EA

- Space Exploration. Super Old game and one I wish that would try again. There's group trying to make the third with open source software on the internet, but they haven't really done anything with it. You start out with a ship and crew. There are like 300 star systems to explore, colonize and trade with. Alien races to trade and fight with.

Civilization Series (including Alpha Centuri)

- Enough Said

The Old D&D Gold Box Games (Champions of Krynn, Pools of Radiance, Treasures of the Savage Frontier, etc)

- Made by SSI. They were tactics games using the Second Edition rules. They included folk from the Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance Novels. Man I wasted a lot of time on these games. Horrible graphics, but being tactics games, they're still playable but have issues with current processor speeds.

Oblivion/Morrowind/Daggerfall/Arena

Bethesda software. First Person single player roleplaying. You can do dang near anything. The world is huge. Its kind of like Everyquest without the MMO aspect. I am not a fan of MMOs as being a tabletop player I look for something different out of RPGs than most MMO players and they just seem to disappoint. The option to play with a buddy might be nice though. Fallout 3 has the same engine.

Starwars Battlefronts

I am not a big starwars fan, but this series is one of the best shooters I have ever played. I can't wait for 3. If three is as big a jump from 2 as 2 was from 1 than I might need to take a week or 2 off. Special props to Knights of the Old Republic. 2 was better than 1. I'd like to see a more mature game made with this engine.

Wolfenstein

First person shooter. The FIRST first person shooter. The most recent title (still pretty dang old) has great online play for the computer, but its pretty crappy for the xbox.

GTA

Another series that keeps reinventing itself. Man, I love myself some GTA.

Madden

All about the franchise mode with the initial fantasy draft. I've never been very good with it (would likely get my tush kicks by real players) but I hold my own against the computer and am a madman in the offseason.

Pirates

Another Sid Meier game (like CIV). Something seemed missing with the last one - not sure what, but still a good good game. not sure why I am into these. :wacko:

Edited by Duchess Jack

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm partial to the FPS games so Call of Duty is tops for me. I do like the Morrowind/Oblivion series as well, but would like to see a bit of online experience there to compliment the single player action. Just not on the scale of an Everquest or World of Warcraft.

Pirates

Another Cyd Meier game (like CIV). Something seemed missing with the last one - not sure what, but still a good good game. not sure why I am into these. :wacko:

I loved the 2004 version of Pirates. I'm easily amused by anything by Sid.

Defender

Age of Empires (et al)

Top 2 faves by a long shot for me. And very few would win against me when playing at my peak. :wacko:

I could have taken your ass at Defender. Used to put a quarter in the machine and would play all night.

I'm not with it on present day games. The last game I played on PS2 was Grand Theft Auto San Andreas. I loved the first couple Resident Evil games. Being that I no longer have a PS2 or any system for that matter, could someone give me some ideas for a good PC game. I'm into "seek and find" type games, although I can get into some battle scenes as well.

Wow.. to name the top 10 in order would be tough.. If we are talking about series..

In semi particular order

10. Baulders Gate

Very deep and expansive RPGs. There have been better since, but for it's time, it was rediculous.

09. Unreal Tournament

2nd best deathmatch shooter series ever. Graphice were sick when the first one came out for it's time.

08. Madden

For obvious reasons.

07. Monkey Island

Escape from Monkey Island was my favorite, but they were all good. the first puzzle game that made me laugh out loud.

06. Half Life

The best pure combination of shooter/story that you will find ever.. Get Orange Box if you don't believe me.

05. Call of Duty

The best war franchise ever.

04. Duke Nukem

Duke Nukem 3D was the first shooter I fell in love with. been waiting 12 years for it's successor.

03. NHL

Love hockey as my favorite sports game to this day.

02. Fallout

Fallout 1 and 2 were amazing and 3 was almost as amazing but for different reasons.

01. Quake Series

I was once ranked 5th in the world on Quake. I am still good on a PC but back then I was almost unstoppable.

01b. Zelda.

I'll never forget how sucked in I was by the original. It made me a video game geek for life.

Is it nerdy to think that Raiders of the Lost Ark on Atarii was the best, althoguh I don;t think it's a series for gaming, just fun to play at the time and time-consuming

I loved Raiders for the Atari 2600 too. For some reason, I loved that and Adventure.

Edited by Scourge

The Old D&D Gold Box Games (Champions of Krynn, Pools of Radiance, Treasures of the Savage Frontier, etc)

GTA

Another series that keeps reinventing itself. Man, I love myself some GTA.

Excellent choices. I would have either said the Sierra Space Quest or Kings Quest series instead of Quest for Glory... or just lumped them all in with Leisure Suit Larry in the glory days of Sierra's games.

Other ones I've played all of:

Super Mario Brothers

Super Mario Kart

Ratchet and Clank

Series? :wacko:

It's all about Nintendo...

10. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out

9. Excitebike

8. Castlevania

7. MegaMan

6. Super Mario Brothers

5. Section Z

4. Super Tecmo Bowl

3. Kid Icarus

2. Metroid

1. Legend of Zelda

Edited by darin3

Final Fantasy series (Squaresoft / Square Enix)

Dragon Warrior / Dragon Quest series (Enix / Square Enix)

Fire Emblem Series (Nintendo)

Paper Mario series + Mario RPG (Nintendo)

Phantasy Star series (Sega)

Sonic the Hedgehog series (Sega)

Grand Theft Auto Series (Rockstar)

Legend of Mana series (Squaresoft)

NHL Hockey (EA)

Warcraft / Starcraft series (including WoW) (Blizzard)