[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Infinity

Thews40

Two scenarios  

26 members have voted

1. 1. In example 1, is the ball's exact distance traveled finite or infinite?

• Finite
    • Infinite
  2. 2. Is there enough factual information to describe antimatter as made up of antiparticles?

• yes
    • no
    • other
  3. 3. In the definition linked, is it possible to solve one of the "greatest unsolved problems in physics"

• yes
    • no
  4. 4. Puddy

• man
    • myth
    • machine

Example 1: A pinball machine's lever is pulled back 1/2 inch, and on average will result in moving the ball approximately 2.2 inches. For this example, the lever is pulled back 1/2 inch and released, hitting the ball and moving it.

For reference in question 2.

Antimatter (from Wikipedia - you can link other definitions)

In particle physics, antimatter is the extension of the concept of the antiparticle to matter, where antimatter is composed of antiparticles in the same way that normal matter is composed of particles. For example, an antielectron (a positron, an electron with a positive charge) and an antiproton (a proton with a negative charge) could form an antihydrogen atom in the same way that an electron and a proton form a normal matter hydrogen atom. Furthermore, mixing matter and antimatter would lead to the annihilation of both in the same way that mixing antiparticles and particles does, thus giving rise to high-energy photons (gamma rays) or other particle–antiparticle pairs.

There is considerable speculation as to why the observable universe is apparently almost entirely matter, whether there exist other places that are almost entirely antimatter instead, and what might be possible if antimatter could be harnessed, but at this time the apparent asymmetry of matter and antimatter in the visible universe is one of the greatest unsolved problems in physics. The process by which this asymmetry between particles and antiparticles developed is called baryogenesis.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I really want, is just some answers. I'm highly emotional right now. Between posting this, and replying to it, my daughter died. They had given her every chemo treatment known to man, and after beating bone cancer at 15, only to get leukemia from it (3% of chemo patients do), she also survived a bone marrow transplant, which gave me another year and an half to get to know her; she was 20, and I loved her so much. In that extra year, she fell in love, and he was there today. A really great kid, and they were truly in love. My ex and I switch days at the hospital, and when the decision was made to up the pain meds it was only a matter of time, but that's measured in weeks. She was there the last two days, so after her boyfriend left tonight, I showed up. She was breathing really heavy, and one of her eyes was slightly open. The nurse took me outside, and I asked her what to expect. In her experience, she said it would probably be in the next few days. I went back in the room, took her hand and talked to her. I told her that when it was time for her to let go, it was going to be ok. I told her again about by near death experience, and the main point I took from it wasn't what “was” on the other side, but that I existed. (That's the crux of the argument, and that's whether or not you exist after you're dead). I then told her it was going to be ok, and when it was time for her to let go, she'd probably sit up in soul, see herself dead, and decide to let go. I told her it was ok, and that it was going to be ok... you will exist, and I'll see you again. My ex-wife called, sorta freaking out. I hate my ex wife, but not this conversation. I told her the extra 5 years we had Mallory was a gift. You only get so many wishes, and we got of them granted. A lot of those prayers that were answered came from here... thank you so much. I went back in the room, and sat down with her and prayed. I told her again I knew she could hear me, and it was going to be ok. She hadn't moved since 7:30 this morning, and she reached her hand from under the covers, and I held her hand as she died. She waited for me, and I got to be there to take her across. This hurts a lot, and I've had a lot of time to think about these questions. The opinion used to form this poll, came (a large part of it) from intelligent conversations with the really smart guys in here... they actually understand this stuff. I just want an answer, and is the same :highfive: :wacko: really funny the 1487623 time? The Jebus dinosaur jokes for round 73245, trying to find a way to pull Christianity into it, which will kill the thread... the questions are valid and I just want an answer. Thank you all for the support you've given me over the years. Life sucks sometimes, and we all go through this. I'm not pissed by the way. If you want to send me a PM that would be cool, but can we leave this one alone and just answer if... if you want to? Thanks.

I really can't help much with the answers to your questions, Thews but I wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss. I do believe that your daughter is in a better place now and is pain free. As you go through this tough time, you and your family will be in my prayers.

Edited by irish

really sorry for your loss.

i went through an eerily similar experience when my father passed away with cancer, and i'd certainly be willing to chat if you'd like to. unfortunately, to this day, i can't provide any more answers than i could the day before it all happened. but i can certainly lend an ear and share with you what i feel i learned.

you and your family are in my thoughts.

Edited by rhippens

Thews, I can't imagine how hard it is for you, but she is definately in a better place.

1) Hard to answer this without knowing what kind or types of gravity or friction are in the environment.

2) I can't answer this one, though I think they have proven the existence of "antimatter", right?

3) No friggen clue

4) Puddy is the man AND the myth, but machine is debatable, given his tire-changing troubles... :wacko: