[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Face book/myface/myspace/twitter/blah etc

BeeR

I find they are all just tools for a job.

MySpace is most useful for following music, finding out tour and new release info from bands you dig, and as a place to hear new bands before you buy.

Facebook is handy for keeping in touch with folks that you'd like to, and easy enough to filter out those you don't.

Twitter is a flowing, freeform conversation, but it is only as interesting as the people you follow. It is also THE fastest source to hear about breaking news.

Not really much to fear in any of them. And all are useful for say, letting people know about that hilarious podcast you do every 3 weeks or so...(cough, cough)

Edited by Bonehand

Facebook is the only one I am a member of and I enjoy it for what it is worth. I dont get involved in the Mafia wars and ignore most of the requests but do enjoy talking to old friends . It still amazes me when I hit the friends online button and see a person i went to elementary school with and have the ability to talk to them.

+1

I refuse the request to join most apps and typically hide them on my "homepage"

I thought that Facebook was for the younger set. It is for the younger set but it's also used for geezers like me I found out when I joined up. I enjoy it. There's no limit to how you would like to use it. I don't get into the Mafia wars or any games like that.

Me too.

My sister and BIL have a blog where they post all sorts of stories about their kids ... not password protected ... I refuse to visit the site to read what is going on on principle alone ... I will not condone or support any mechanism for perverts and delinquents to prey upon innocent kids ... and I think that is just what this sort of crap is. My sister posted a blurb on her facebook site about being an aunt again about 10 minutes after our last child was born, and through all the linking to friends and friends of friends, I had people that I called about 2hrs after the birth tell me they already knew about it ... after about ten minutes, I figured out it was my sister. I called her and read her the riot act and had her delete the post.

If you post pictures of your kids and details about their life on the web, and then, later they get abused in any way, shape or form, it's on you.

Your job as a parent is to PROTECT your kids and to train them in the way they should conduct their affairs. It is NOT to get halloween pictures to Grandma or tell the funny story about how little Jimmy hit an inside the park homerun three minutes after throwing up from eating a bad hot dog.

While I have posted various personal stories over the years here, I am VERY careful about giving anything to anyone ever that would in any way jeaopardize the safety of my family.

Twitter, facebook, myspace, et.al. can kiss my ass. :wacko:

none of this makes the least bit of sense. in fact, I would say it borders on paranoid delusion.

+1

I refuse the request to join most apps and typically hide them on my "homepage"

loaf's profile pic is enough reason for anyone not to join. My wife keeps telling me to ask you to change it. :wacko:

I had people that I called about 2hrs after the birth tell me they already knew about it ... after about ten minutes, I figured out it was my sister. I called her and read her the riot act and had her delete the post.

Why ?

Did she just announce the birth or give personal details ?

I finally caved on Facebook. It's OK. As my friend Raina was saying, there are people who put up the most minute, boring things (a la "I am eating a peanut butter sandwich") and even more disturbing for agnostics such as myself there are those who praise Jesus/Allah/Flying Spaghetti Monster 3 times a day.

The upside is that yeah, when someone does do interesting things or is funny as hell, you get a daily dose of what they're up to.

Primarily for me it's a way to keep in touch with people I WOULDN'T otherwise call and get kid pics to my relatives without having to muck around overly much.

Yup. It's great for keeping in touch with friends/relatives who you can't talk to all the time. No interation is necessary, it's just nice to see what they are up to once in a while.

I've been debating on facebook. I loves me some tech, but myspace always seemed a little pointless. A lot of people my age are jumping on facebook because you barely get to see anybody now that we are getting older. Everyone has small children so you don't get out much and the parties aren't really the all nighters they used to be. So facebook allows them to catch up with old college and hs buddies without really making a lot of calls. I'll probably eventually cave and have some private facebook account. I just haven't gotten around to it.

pretty much what they said

Edited by Bier Meister

Like many here, I've found facebook useful to connect to some old friends and catch up. Used it as a tool to let people know when we can actually meet up. I don't use apps or post on it very much.

Twitter is can of cool for what it's useful for....'

I don't have a myspace account and usually use it to track bands.

Facebook is the only one I am a member of and I enjoy it for what it is worth. I dont get involved in the Mafia wars and ignore most of the requests but do enjoy talking to old friends . It still amazes me when I hit the friends online button and see a person i went to elementary school with and have the ability to talk to them.

I don't do Mafia wars either, just Scrabble and the occasional game of Bejeweled.

none of this makes the least bit of sense. in fact, I would say it borders on paranoid delusion.

wow

starting to wonder about the whole "hottie" in the pizza place story......................

Facebook is worth it- catch up with old friends and family and connect with birds if you are single.

definitely have to hide the religious wackos and bored tools that constantly update or have a boring running dialogue

not a hugh twitter fan but both facebook and twitter are being used more and more in a professional manner and social networking is just a reality both personally and professionally. Some of our clients actually are looking for a blog/twitter from some candidates that are in a more creative, social type role - it give some insight to whether they would be a good "cultural" fit or not- I am not 100% on board with dat chit but that is the reality.

Not sure if you're looking for props for your anti-tech philosophy.
? Hardly, in fact I don't even get why anyone would do that - just don't get the obsession so many have nowdays w/all the "techie doo-dads" and find the idea of things like surfing the 'net on your phone or yapping on a cell phone practically 24/7 like many seem to, or "twittering".......("hey I just took a whiz! 'follow me around!' " ) very :D But to each their own I guess.

I personally think Facebook is a fantastic way to reconnect with people and to keep involved with friends/family that you may not be able to on a regular basis otherwise.
Great, if it works for you or whoever, fine. I can see how a way to reconnect with "lost" friends would be useful - although generally I also would think that if you and/or the other person really wanted to keep in touch, you would have.

I say - don't hate. Appreciate.
Thank you Johnny C. :wacko::D

Oh..... and I can assure you that I'm not gay.
Congrats.

I used to have a myspace when I was still playing the music circut, which is almost a necessity, especially if you were also doing stand ins for other bands. Once I burned out on that scene I deleted the page.

Never had a facebook

Never had a twitter.

It all equals a beating to me.

I've also heard of employers getting on Facebook/Myspace/Twitter pages and seeing what you're up to. I know for a fact that some companies check before they hire...

I use them all and I also encourage my clients to do the same. Some have benefited tremendously from a social media marketing standpoint, most notably promotion companies and managers for bands. We've been using a particular piece of software that track these social media outlets which allows us to show better ROI on marketing dollars spent for our clients.

Edited by twiley

Maybe moneymakers swiped muck's password? :wacko:

MySpace is most useful for following music, finding out tour and new release info from bands you dig, and as a place to hear new bands before you buy.

I used to believe this... but then I realized you could get to the music.myspace.com stuff without logging in. So I can still get to the streaming music and check people out without having an account.

And as far as following bands and releases and tour dates, I prefer the iLike app on Facebook.

Have a MySpace page but don't check it with any regularity anymore. Good place to find out about new music and your favorite bands' goings-on, though. Have a Facebook page and check it a few times a week. Great way to catch up with old friends. I'll post the occasional photo from my Blackberry directly to Facebook and sometimes send messages to friends via Facebook (on Blackberry or computer). Don't have a Twitter account, and don't plan on it. My life is far too boring.